Geocaching and public art.

Hello everyone,

I don't know if this is a discussion you guys have had before, but I'm interested in hearing what you have to say about this.

I started geocaching some days ago (even though I made this account in 2010) and I came across a cache hidden inside a piece of public art. I'd rather not show which one it is since it'll spoil all the fun for those in Montreal, but still.

I was wondering what you guys think not only about how "legal" it is to do so, but also on how it kind of gives a new meaning to the piece. In a way, our perspective changes, because we know what's up. The piece of art doesn't mean what the artist intended to any more : it means way more to us, because we had an experience with it. I had seen that piece of art a bunch of times before, but I'll never look at it the same.

From now on, it'll remind me of the experience I had to go through to get the cache (lots of geomuggles around) and what a laugh it was.

What are your thoughts on this? Have you gone through a similar experience? Is using public art good geocaching etiquette?

Thanks!

Edited by Alvarop

As an artist, I have to say I would love it if a cache brought attention to a piece of public art and the ones I've done, I've loved. There's a really fun one in Santa Fe.

I would hope everyone would ask permission first - some of our park art here in Austin is definitely a little too delicate for geocaches, but for statues, etc. if it brings more people to an appreciation of the artwork, I say yes :).

I have been considering placing a cache on some public art nearby. I think it is a great way to bring attention to the art, especially if there is history on the piece. My question is, who to ask for permission if the art is on a street corner? Sidewalks are public, so is no permission needed? Do I contact the artist?

I have been considering placing a cache on some public art nearby. I think it is a great way to bring attention to the art, especially if there is history on the piece. My question is, who to ask for permission if the art is on a street corner? Sidewalks are public, so is no permission needed? Do I contact the artist?

I'm not sure the art belongs to the artist anymore. Most likely the city commissioned it from him so you'd have to ask city hall to be on the safe side?

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to me that the artist is not the owner of the piece anymore once it's out there.

Edited by Alvarop

I enjoy caches on art. Even better when the cache explains how the art came to be there, particularly if there an interesting story such as controversy!

In most cases, I never would have given the art a second look, so the cache doesn't replace some meaning the artist intended, it provides a meaning for me where none would otherwise exist.

Of course, care is required to respect the area and not allow the cache or its seekers to do damage to it, but hiders should be considering those issues wherever they hide a cache.

Public art caches are definitely one of my favorite types! B)

I own several caches intended to highlight local public art, and have found dozens (if not hundreds) placed by others for the same reason.

Some of this stuff is in places you wouldn't expect, and so a cache to show me where it is is much appreciated.

Sometimes it's in a place you pass by everyday, but you're in such a hurry you never slow down to look.

A cache that makes us slow down and actually look is good.

While I can't imagine an artpiece 'too delicate' to have a cache actually placed on it yet sturdy enough to be on public display, there are many ways to show off the art and have the cache not actually attached to it.

EDIT: your ≠ you're

Edited by AZcachemeister

One possibility is a multistage cache where you don't actually have to physically attach a container to the artwork.

If the goal is to bring others to where public art is displayed, it's not necessary to physically attach a container to the artwork. Placing a container somewhere "close" should be sufficient. I've seen nanos, bison tubes, and small hide-a-keys attached to public art but even that feels disrespectful to the artist to me in that it is in some small way altering their art. One of the great things about a cache on/near public art is that it's really easy to search for the cache without attracting muggle attention. A few years ago I was searching for a cache (a nano) that was on a welded metal sculpture of a horse that was located in what is normally a high muggle area. I was feeling around for the container and someone walked by and said, "that's pretty cool isn't it". You can do a pretty a thorough search of public art and it's just looks to a muggle like art appreciation.

Unfortunately it was a temporary piece of art but I would have loved to have placed a cache on this piece of public art.

Duck_14_480x360.jpg