secret spyplane crash site

I enjoyed his narrative ... very interesting story ... I was glad he didn't give the coordinates though ... seems every crash site I've been to has been defaced by idiots ... so leaving it so that only a person dedicated to doing the work to find it will help keep that to a minimum ... especially being so remote.

IMHO

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

what is the lat long of the x-plane"a-12"crash site near wendover ut/nv?

May 24, 1963:

An A-12 (#123) crashes due to pitot icing 14 miles south of Wendover, Utah. The pilot, Collins, survives.

welcome to MY world!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CacheAcrossAmerica

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=KD7MXI

http://www.cachunuts.com

quote:
Originally posted by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah:

they archived my cache on me without saying why icon_rolleyes.gif

Actually James they did ... there's a note to that effect on the cache page.

quote:
Originally posted by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah:

they archived my cache on me without saying why icon_rolleyes.gif

Actually James they did ... there's a note to that effect on the cache page.

Were you logged in? Log in and go to your cache page ... then open archived caches and click on the link ... I just checked the link above ... works fine.

The administrators reasons for their rejection is copied here:

Sorry,

It's really not appropriate to catalog places where people likely lost their lives like this - somewhat in bad taste, IMHO.

Also - some rules (which the approvers are already using) should be posted by Jeremy soon to restrict locationless caches to the scenic type of sites you'd find photographed in a coffee table book. We obviously can't change the past, so I'm sure you can find examples that don't fit that mold, but going forward you shouldn't.

Regards,

geocachining.com admin

I don't think there is anything wrong with visiting a crash site any more so than to scuba in a shipwreck.

People lose their lives each and every day. Very sad, it's true. Bad taste, not really. Now, James, I would have taken some quality time to sit and write a little history about the site and explain the significance of the location.

As for it being called a "locationless" cache, ummm... no... it's a virtual. Big difference. You have to go there, each cacher to the same exact place, prove the find and post it.

I don't want to think that Jeremy has yahoos working the approvals.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I guess I misread the cache description originally. I thought this was a locationless cache. Now I see it is a crash of a single military aircraft 40 years ago.

I can see no problem with this cache. I agree with VentureForth that the description could be more complete.

You didn't misread it. It went from locationless to virtual. Now it's locationless again, though the cache name has changed. All that's apparently occured since the cache was archived?

"I don't want to think that Jeremy has yahoos working the approvals." I don't want to think that either icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by ~erik~ on May 22, 2002 at 04:05 PM.]

You didn't misread it. It went from locationless to virtual. Now it's locationless again, though the cache name has changed. All that's apparently occured since the cache was archived?

"I don't want to think that Jeremy has yahoos working the approvals." I don't want to think that either icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by ~erik~ on May 22, 2002 at 04:05 PM.]

I'm still reading it, but this adventure is great so far. I wish for a geocaching adventure only a tenth as interesting as this.

And to think of all the people who say "scavenger hunts" are no fun. Silly, silly people.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by citrix_99301:

A little closer read of the story mentions the Cherokee mine due east of Leith, NV. I did a little digging and found a site that mentions the coordinates for the mine below:

My, it would be cool to find that plane.

http://66.78.12.123/waypoints/NVMINES.TXT

371557N 1142304W

DUDE! You couldn't have posted that link a week earlier? I just went to Vegas, bought a few books on thbe subject and even headed out to Rhyolite (only 20 miles from Death Valley and nearly as desolate). Had to turn back when my wife AND son both got carsick. & we were 85% of the way there too....

That page is now bookmarked for my next Vegas trip.

and as my way of saying thanks, checkm out my cache of a jet that went down in the woods about 25-30 yrs ago

Jet in the woods

My personal website discussing the jet in the woods

WUHOO TEAMGWHO!

quote:
Astrogoth wrote: I've been looking for the Lat/Lon of the YB-49 Flying Wing crash site. Anyone know them? I DO NOT plan to sell the wreckage on Ebay as others have! I'm a Flying Wing nut.

I think the YB 49 went down withing the confines of what is now Edwards AFB (Muroc Dry lake area), but I'm not sure icon_smile.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

quote:
Astrogoth wrote: I've been looking for the Lat/Lon of the YB-49 Flying Wing crash site. Anyone know them? I DO NOT plan to sell the wreckage on Ebay as others have! I'm a Flying Wing nut.

I think the YB 49 went down withing the confines of what is now Edwards AFB (Muroc Dry lake area), but I'm not sure icon_smile.gif

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!