oregon 450t - disappointed!

just been out for the first time with our new GPS and im really disappointed so far, hopefully its cause i don't yet understand it, we used to use a phone app that was easy to use and got us to with a couple of feet of GZ.

Here's a list of my moans so far see if anyone can help me. Accuracy! Sometimes GZ is in a 10-25ft area. I think i have made a note (doing a multi so need to collect info)but now can't find how i access it. Finally can you not make a log, sometimes you want to comment on container or area etc?

Sorry for post but really miffed at the moment, spent all this money and so far would of been better putting old phone on a contract.

Hope someone can help

That range is well within acceptable. Plus you don't know if it is your device or the placers that is off and if you are under trees it gets worse.

When you log a find you can click the comment button to put in notes.

Personally I find that to hard so I whip out the phone and make a note on it.

Commercial GPS receivers on the handheld and phone are all around the same accuracy 15-30feet (with some extra tricks on both to improve this). Your phone was not more accurate, although it may have reported it was. The antenna in a handheld is much better and you will get better sustained lock.

AFAIK, you cannot make a note on a cache on the unit and retrieve it later from the unit. I tend to use paper or the phone for taking notes in the field.

You can make a log, eg attempted log..found.. and write a comment. The gc.com site can upload these comments as part of field notes.

just been out for the first time with our new GPS and im really disappointed so far, hopefully its cause i don't yet understand it, we used to use a phone app that was easy to use and got us to with a couple of feet of GZ.

Here's a list of my moans so far see if anyone can help me. Accuracy! Sometimes GZ is in a 10-25ft area. I think i have made a note (doing a multi so need to collect info)but now can't find how i access it. Finally can you not make a log, sometimes you want to comment on container or area etc?

Sorry for post but really miffed at the moment, spent all this money and so far would of been better putting old phone on a contract.

Hope someone can help

Commercial GPS receivers on the handheld and phone are all around the same accuracy 15-30feet (with some extra tricks on both to improve this). Your phone was not more accurate, although it may have reported it was. The antenna in a handheld is much better and you will get better sustained lock.

AFAIK, you cannot make a note on a cache on the unit and retrieve it later from the unit. I tend to use paper or the phone for taking notes in the field.

You can make a log, eg attempted log..found.. and write a comment. The gc.com site can upload these comments as part of field notes.

when we went out using the phone, it really did get us to GZ it was incredible. taking paper with you for taking notes, defeats the 'paperless' opition idea rather! so how do i write a log? How do i make a note and then read it back later when all clues have been collected?

when we went out using the phone, it really did get us to GZ it was incredible. taking paper with you for taking notes, defeats the 'paperless' opition idea rather! so how do i write a log? How do i make a note and then read it back later when all clues have been collected?

Be patient with the Oregon.... You'll soon find out, it is much better at locating GZ and caches than your phone can. The handheld can lock on much faster than the phone can.

But anyway...My husband and I have two handhelds (Oregon & 62s). We never use the GPS to log our caches - even after 2 years of geocaching.... The only time we'll use the FIELD NOTES is when doing power trails. We always carry our cell phones and always log the cache on sight at GZ and make whatever notes necessary for hints/tips, or whatever. Field Notes is a great option (paperless aspect of the handheld), but that involves sitting at the computer when you get home..... For us - we'd rather log it ASAP and done. When we get home, we can sit on our asses and enjoy a beer.

Sometimes GZ is in a 10-25ft area.

That's normal. If both the hider's and finder's GPSrs were a very accurate 5-feet-off, you'd find the cache is as much as 10 feet away. It's often farther, and depends on a lot of things. Because of that, it's unusual to find a cache within "a couple of feet" regardless of the App.

I think i have made a note (doing a multi so need to collect info)but now can't find how i access it. Finally can you not make a log, sometimes you want to comment on container or area etc?

You can access comments that you've type into the GPSr, by uploading them as Field Notes on the GS site. The "Personal Cache Notes" aren't shown on the GPSr, when uploaded by "send to GPS" or by Pocket Query.

so far would of been better putting old phone on a contract.

With a hiking GPSr, you don't need a data connection (no monthly data usage fees, no worries that you'll go out of range). Plus it's waterproof, durable, batteries last longer, and you can use your phone as a phone.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either.

Edited by kunarion

I've never used an Oregon 450, but when I switched from a smart phone to a dedicated GPS a couple years back, it was very frustrating. The phone app was so easy to use...the GPS was so very un-user-friendly by comparison.

I hate learning new technology, so it took me a long time (and I actually had to sit down and read the blasted owner's manual a few times, GRRR :) ), but I'm pretty happy with it now.

I've never used an Oregon 450, but when I switched from a smart phone to a dedicated GPS a couple years back, it was very frustrating. The phone app was so easy to use...the GPS was so very un-user-friendly by comparison.

I hate learning new technology, so it took me a long time (and I actually had to sit down and read the blasted owner's manual a few times, GRRR :) ), but I'm pretty happy with it now.

I had a similar problem with the phone Apps (I have 4 of those Apps). On a Garmin, select a cache from the list, click "Go". I had zero trouble figuring out how to get it to do that. But the Apps all completely different, and I still have trouble with them.

I am to very disappointed with the oregon 450 and have just sent mine back to Amazon, it was so inaccurate I thought it must have a fault it would tell me I had 250ft to go to a cache whereas I was standing beside it thanks to my old Garmin legend hcx. The old gps is far more accurate than the 450. The trip odometer was also several miles out compared to the older gps. I have ordered a replacement but now wonder if I should have looked at a different one

I'm wondering if the previous two posters and the OP haven't upgraded to a late version firmware. Just because they purchased a "new" GPS doesn't mean it has the latest firmware.

While I can't speak to the eTrex, an Oregon x50 should be running v5.50 or later. I suspect that an iPhone has an automatic firmware update, whereas the non-connected Garmin GPS has an entirely manual/user initiated update process.

When I got my 450, the trip odometer was off 20% compared to the track distance. Now rarely a 1% difference, so firmware makes a difference.