Cache in, trash out....the reward...

Mr. 0

I went out today to do a little maintence on a cache I placed, and to add a few items. One thing I was going to add were some film canisters with trash bags inside (it's been discussed on here before, and I liked the idea) so people could trash out if they wanted. Well I forgot to put them in there, so I trashed out myself. This area is on a decent sized resevoir, that sees a lot of boat and land fisherpeople during the summer. So I ended up trashing out 5 bags of beer bottles, pop/beer cans, old bait containers, balls of fishing line...etc. Which was reward enough in itself. There's still probably 2-3 more bags worth of trash, but I ran out of time, and trash bags. While I was picking up trash, I ended up finding about 7 bobbers, and 3 lures, all of which were in great shape! This is perfect for me, because I'm a fisherperson myself...so that's probably about $10-$15 I don't have to spend on gear next year. icon_smile.gif Just wanted to post this here and show everyone that you can get something more than just the warm fuzzy feeling of doing something good when you cache in-trash out. As they say one man's junk....is another man's treasure.

just stuffed a bag into a film container, I must have missed that thought/thread.....

I get bags of crap when I go to maintain my 'Crab Creek' cache, pisses me off no end to drag a bag of ICK to the roadside and call the hiway dept. ( I ride bike there, so no backseat)

I go to the shore after storms and find all sorts of neat stuff, Like lures and a pound of scallops last week ! But tons of crap too, like 'beach whistles'.

I have a dog. Actually, the family has 5 dogs. We have Texas Chihuahuas. What is a Texas Chihuahua? Well, the rest of the country calls them Great Danes. But EVERYTHING is BIGGER in TEXAS!

When I hike with the dog, I have a small canvas bag tied to my CamelBak H.A.W.G. This little canvas bag holds 8 to 10 Wal-Mart plastic bags. It is sold under the name "Outward Hound" for a few bucks. Got it at PetsMart. You can imagine what I use the bags for. Does "DOOTS' mean anything to you? No, I don't hang them in trees. We don't have trees in El Paso! But the bags are also useful for trash, when I am not cleaning up 'DOG DOOTS".

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Wow!

I'd never thought about leaving bags in film cannisters - funky idea! I must say I really hate coming across excess amounts of trash in an area where I know I won't be able to shift it all myself. In fact, people that trash any particular area just really irk me - is it that hard to find a bin. icon_confused.gif

Case in point... went to a nearby woodland area the other day, and was greeted by a huge pile of old household bits and bobs (cupboards, teddy bears, saucepans). There was more than a van load there - I wouldn't be surprised if whoever dumped it made several trips to do so.

My question is "Why"? Why do people go out of their way to spoil a nice area, when the same amount of effort (in some cases LESS effort) would dispose of the waste in a responisble way? icon_mad.gif

I need to go on a scavenging hunt for cannisters icon_biggrin.gif Major caching trip planned ahead!

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

I don't remember this being the post that I read about putting trash bags in film canisters, but this was the only thread I could find about it now. It works great because they take up little room, you don't have to worry about them getting snagged on anything in your backpack, and there's no problem fitting them in your pocket. There's no doubt that I'm going to continue to take trash bags like this with me, because it's convenient for me, and makes for something to drop in a cache where one notices a lot of trash.