Other Cachers Declaring Dominion?

I think as Geocachers we need to appreciate the time, energy and money that others put into these planned events which I'm sure can sometimes take months

to put together.

If event planners take months of time, energy, and money to put on an event you'd think it would be a really good event and it would be necessary to place 40 something cache to entice geocachers to attend the event. I think as Geocachers, we ought to consider taking a day off from adding 30-40 finds to our find count and just go and enjoy socializing with others in the geocaching community.

That is a nice thought but IMHO kind of shows a misunderstanding of human nature. People come to these events to find caches. If you advertised an event of that size with no caches just fellow ship it could be heldin Supermans favorite changing place (ifmyounfind one that still exists).

It's been my experience that there are, basically, three types of event attendees, with a hint of crossover from time to time. The seekers, the socializers, and the noobs who aren't sure where they want to fit in. The seekers are the folks who show up, sign the log, and rush off after caches. The socializers, (where I am firmly ensconced), really don't care if there are hides nearby. They are there to schmooze. If they do go hunt a few caches, there will be lots of schmoozing along the way. I like to host events. Typically, my events do not revolve around cache hides.

It sounds as if the CO with the upcoming event asked nicely for the space to be left open.

If they indeed did ask nicely, I would honor the request. :)

If they were belligerent or demanding, I might not honor the request. :mad:

I would think that too. They may have either an event, series or multi and don't want the areas taken. I had that problem. I was planning a series and so did someone else and placed one of their caches right where I wanted one of mine to go. Oh well

I have a puzzle series where the caches (posted coordinated) are arranged in a geo-art type symbol. Long after they were posted, another cacher (new cacher with 27 finds) placed a traditional cache on top of my geo-art. I sent a very nice email requesting that he relocating his cache as a favor to me. He said that my caches had made it hard to find a good place to hide a cache (which is not true, because posted coordinates don't block caches, and there is plenty of space here in rural Texas), and that he would not move it. I was angry, but all I can do is try not to be. He had the right to place a cache there. He is not an avid cacher, and eventually it will go away.

Big contradiction here. If "posted (puzzle) coordinates don't block (physical) caches", why should yours block his? Because you want to draw a picture on the map with question marks, you want to claim all of that area as well as the spots that the containers are at?

Because he won't respect your claim to an area that you do not own, you look down at him as a second class, inexperienced geocacher that will eventually go away. Unbelievable.

I don't take your last suggestion as rude at all. However, since I'm new to geocaching, is there a certain minimum number of caches that someone should find before they leap into placing caches? Apart from stirring up a bit of concern by placing a cache in an apparently empty area, I haven't found this too difficult of a hobby.

I think that one should find enough caches to differentiate between a good a nd a bad cache. As soon as you find a cache and think to yourself, "I would never hide a cache like this", you're probably ready to hide a cache.

(Foiled by the spell checker)

Edited by Don_J
However, since I'm new to geocaching, is there a certain minimum number of caches that someone should find before they leap into placing caches? Apart from stirring up a bit of concern by placing a cache in an apparently empty area, I haven't found this too difficult of a hobby.

20 is the recommended minimum. Won't take you long to get there.

Now that the lines of communication are open with the event organizer, since you have expressed interest in placing caches in the area and it's close to home for you, I think it would be appropriate for them to work with you to help you find a spot for a cache or two. While I'm sure the event caches will be awesome, I don't believe they should take up the entire area, especially as there are still 6 months to go. I've never personally been in favor of any one cacher or group monopolizing any one area.

Hello? Daycaches anyone? Why get all bent out of shape with permanent caches and all the rules that go along with placing them and then maintaining them when you can toss out as many temporary daycaches as you want. They can be placed with no regard to spacing between each other or any "real" caches out there. And if you make some kind of fun competition about it, everyone who shows up to your event will stay for the whole thing!

Here are some examples....

http://coord.info/GC3EN6B

http://coord.info/GC1WEA4

And we're doing it again this summer...

http://coord.info/GC48GP4

Will probably have on the order of 3 dozen Daycaches at this event. They'll all go out the day before and get picked up by 5pm on the day of the event.

I have a puzzle series where the caches (posted coordinated) are arranged in a geo-art type symbol. Long after they were posted, another cacher (new cacher with 27 finds) placed a traditional cache on top of my geo-art. I sent a very nice email requesting that he relocating his cache as a favor to me. He said that my caches had made it hard to find a good place to hide a cache (which is not true, because posted coordinates don't block caches, and there is plenty of space here in rural Texas), and that he would not move it. I was angry, but all I can do is try not to be. He had the right to place a cache there. He is not an avid cacher, and eventually it will go away.

Big contradiction here. If "posted (puzzle) coordinates don't block (physical) caches", why should yours block his? Because you want to draw a picture on the map with question marks, you want to claim all of that area as well as the spots that the containers are at?

Because he won't respect your claim to an area that you do not own, you look down at him as a second class, inexperienced geocacher that will eventually go away. Unbelievable.

I'm not sure I understand. My posted coordinates do not block him from hiding his cache. I also am not looking down on him, just trying to offer advice to the OP to not take it personally. In this case, I was hoping he would extend me the courtesy by moving his cache outside the geo-art I created, but he declined. He has every right to do so, regardless of what I think I would have done in the same situation. My point was that even though my first reaction was to be angry, I ultimately have no claim to the area and I have to live with it. My comment about the cache going away if not a personal dig on him, but that is the natural progression of things. Many people get interested in geocaching for a short while, but choose not to stick with it for a long time.

Edited by ATXTracker

I'm not sure I understand. My posted coordinates do not block him from hiding his cache. I also am not looking down on him, just trying to offer advice to the OP to not take it personally. In this case, I was hoping he would extend me the courtesy by moving his cache outside the geo-art I created, but he declined. He has every right to do so, regardless of what I think I would have done in the same situation. My point was that even though my first reaction was to be angry, I ultimately have no claim to the area and I have to live with it. My comment about the cache going away if not a personal dig on him, but that is the natural progression of things. Many people get interested in geocaching for a short while, but choose not to stick with it for a long time.

This? It doesn't look too bad. Perhaps the entire geoart thing is starting to be overdone. With all those question marks, it would take him awhile to figure out the areas to avoid.

You could probably move all of the question marks another 500 feet away, or rearrange them to make a face- with his cache being the nose.. :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I would get a hundred film canisters and do a power trail starting at the center of his town and going out in four directions. Placing them .19 miles apart for maximum impact.

All because of a polite request???

I'm not sure it's all that polite. It strikes me as greedy to request that people not hide a cache in the event town plus the surrounding area in a 3 km radius. How many cache hides does someone need for an event in order to attract people? Don't most people go to events to talk? Wouldn't the OP's cache draw in people? Why does it have to be the event owner's cache?

Here's a suggestion, plant the cache, then in 6 months consider archiving it for the event if the event owner needs the spot for his cache. What are the chances he can't find another spot 161 meters away?

I would first like to know why the request. Email the event organizer and see if they'll give reason. I can't imagine what reason could be given that would sway me so i'll venture to say that the above reply sounds pretty good.

And since there has been some discussion here, i'm one who thinks events should stand on their own merit. While other types of caches can be nice to have near an event, they shouldn't be needed to make the event a success. Matter of fact, this event guideline

An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search.

seems to be on the verge of being broken here.

No, they do not block other caches, but you seem to expect all of the other cachers to pretend that they do and not place caches by them. Intended or not, your post suggested that you consider this other cacher to be a "fly by nighter" that has no long term stake in the game, thus your caches should be elevated above his in level of importance.

He said that my caches had made it hard to find a good place to hide a cache (which is not true, because posted coordinates don't block caches, and there is plenty of space here in rural Texas), and that he would not move it.

You seem to think he was referring to the posted coordinates of your caches, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about the final coordinates. For someone who hasn't yet solved all of the puzzles in your geo-art, those 25 hidden finals would block many unidentifiable spots around that area that would make it very difficult for him to hide a cache around there. When he submits a cache for review, he'd keep getting responses back from the reviewer that they're too close to one of your finals.

is there a certain minimum number of caches that someone should find before they leap into placing caches?

This is something that comes up fairly often on the forums, usually following someone's experience whilst hunting a cache hidden by a newer player with little experience. During these conversations, I have seen many arbitrary numbers tossed out as suggestions. The most common number, as best my foggy gray matter can recall, is 100, not 20. At a local level, (geographically speaking), finding 20 caches picked at random would not offer much in the way of diversity. I used to jump on the 'Find 100' bandwagon, until power trails rose so sharply in prominence. Whilst my chosen number has not changed, I do include an addendum that those 100 should represent a reasonable cross section of the D/T grid, the available sizes, and the available cache types.

is there a certain minimum number of caches that someone should find before they leap into placing caches?

This is something that comes up fairly often on the forums, usually following someone's experience whilst hunting a cache hidden by a newer player with little experience. During these conversations, I have seen many arbitrary numbers tossed out as suggestions. The most common number, as best my foggy gray matter can recall, is 100, not 20. At a local level, (geographically speaking), finding 20 caches picked at random would not offer much in the way of diversity. I used to jump on the 'Find 100' bandwagon, until power trails rose so sharply in prominence. Whilst my chosen number has not changed, I do include an addendum that those 100 should represent a reasonable cross section of the D/T grid, the available sizes, and the available cache types.

Although I agree it should be much higher, here is the suggestion listed in the guidelines Current Guidelines

"The more geocaches that you have found, the better you will understand the various elements that make up a great geocaching experience. This knowledge will be invaluable when you place a hide, and likely make your geocache more enjoyable for the community. We encourage you to find at least twenty geocaches before you choose to hide one."

Although I agree it should be much higher, here is the suggestion listed in the guidelines Current Guidelines

"The more geocaches that you have found, the better you will understand the various elements that make up a great geocaching experience. This knowledge will be invaluable when you place a hide, and likely make your geocache more enjoyable for the community. We encourage you to find at least twenty geocaches before you choose to hide one."

I was wondering where the recommendation came from.

Thanx for the link!

I don't think there is a right amount. If someone wants to hide a cache, and is told you must find xx caches first, they might just rush out and find a bunch of easy caches simply to meet the requirements. Then we just have more easy to find caches being hidden, as they haven't taken the time to find more complex, harder to find, and possibly better caches.

Agreed. There is no rubber stamp, one size fits all solution. Thankfully, Groundspeak hasn't made finding X number of caches a requirement to hiding. I see finding some before hiding a cache as a really good idea, if for no other reason than I believe personal experience is the greatest teacher. If a new player asks, I'll provide the aforementioned spiel, with the requisite additions. If they don't ask, I'll find their hides whenever they feel like placing them.

That sounds like like a guideline that was written 10 years ago and never updated. A decade ago, 20 finds would be a good cross-reference of hiding styles, containers, terrain, etc. Now you can get 20 finds while driving along the highway.