how do i...

cachndirty

it says you can call cache owners with premium membership.

I have premium membership, yet I have not figured this part out. say I was looking for a cache and needed a hint, or something? like I couldn't find one an emailed the co and he said he believes it has been moved, if I was on the fone with him this could have been sorted out easier, maybe with him not having to make a trip out to see if it is in the right location. how do you get numbers, or some people just don't have them on their profile? I have seen logs saying they have called the co for a hint so...

also, if I searched a keyword, and then wanted to say filter the results to my state or country, can I do that? if not then it might be something to think about.

Local clubs often have a Phone-a-friend service typically not approved by the owner. Never used it myself. Even if the owner offers it you're still on your own. Do you really want every cache handed to you?

Trying makes it worth the reward.

Edited to mention that not finding a cache is not a failure. You still can have fun with just the hunt.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have premium membership, yet I have not figured this part out. say I was looking for a cache and needed a hint, or something? like I couldn't find one an emailed the co and he said he believes it has been moved, if I was on the fone with him this could have been sorted out easier, maybe with him not having to make a trip out to see if it is in the right location. how do you get numbers, or some people just don't have them on their profile? I have seen logs saying they have called the co for a hint so...

also, if I searched a keyword, and then wanted to say filter the results to my state or country, can I do that? if not then it might be something to think about.

As others have said, the only way you can call the CO is if you get their number from them. Sometimes at events or other meetings, phone numbers are exchanged. The PAF (phone a friend) network is one you must build for yourself.

As to the search functionality, there has been a recent "performance enhancement" related to the search function. :ph34r: There are a couple of other threads for that discussion, but as I understand it, the search function has been limited to "first word of the string" instead of keyword - and no geographic (nor other) filters. Or as many have said, it is currently almost useless.

I've never heard this. You can email any cache owner, whether they be a regular or premium member for extra hints. Whether or not they'll be helpful will depend on the CO. Some will email back with very specific help, some will even go with you to the cache and others will totally ignore your emails.

The only way to get their phone number is if they give it to you or if they are part of a local Phone-a-Friend-list. Local Phone-a-Friend-lists have nothing to do with geocaching.com. To find out if there's such a thing in your area, you'd have to ask your local cachers.

What is "it"?

I sure hope that you didn't upgrade to premium based on the idea that you'd be able to call me at work, or at 3AM when I'm sleeping, because you couldn't find my cache.

What is "it"?

I sure hope that you didn't upgrade to premium based on the idea that you'd be able to call me at work, or at 3AM when I'm sleeping, because you couldn't find my cache.

I work 2 so I wouldn't call you at work, although u might want to b up at 3 am talking to a stranger in the woods with a flashlight

just kidding

ok your answers have been helpful, thanks for clearing this up.

I don't really need hints, I like looking and if I cant find it I cant find it. I usually give up 3 or 4 times an wander away about 30 feet and then decide im not done haha and come back every time and usually make the find.

just that 3 of the caches ive been to have been muggled, moved or carried away by natures forces :)

and that's 3 of 10 in case your wondering ratio. thought it would be better to actually say where I looked (the 3 caches I was dead on to where they were) I saw something about calling premium members (I thought) on geocaching.com

but thank you for your answers