Caching with a younger premium member

Chemzone

We gave my daughter a premium membership for Christmas last year and she is thrilled with it. One bummer though is that she really can't go caching by herself and my wife and I (both basic members)take her on our caching trips. It would be nice if we could log some sort of note or find when she wants to find a premium cache. Is there a way to accomplish this without spending another $60 a year? Seems like a lot of overkill to have 3 premium memberships in the same house especially when we all go together? I know $60 doesn't seem like much (and in the grand scheme of things it really isn't) but money is tight in this economy which is just one of many reason why Geocaching is such a great thing to do.

Chemzone and Aschaffenburg

Ok - so in reading forum posts from a while back, there might be a way to log these. I will check with the cache owners before trying these methods on the few occasions when we actually need to. Maybe Groundspeak will offer a family membership in the future.

Chemzone

Ok - so in reading forum posts from a while back, there might be a way to log these. I will check with the cache owners before trying these methods on the few occasions when we actually need to. Maybe Groundspeak will offer a family membership in the future.

Chemzone

Whilst 'Nice' to check with the cache owner first, Groundspeak does say "It's a Found it! if you've signed the log." If you don't contact the cache owner, just be prepared for the log to be deleted...

You're a Basic Member, and your daughter's a Premium Member.

You go caching together. You find a basic cache and you can both log it independantly.

You look for a PMO cache that you saw by searching under her ID, and you find it.

She can log the find under her ID, and so can you.

Make note of the Cache ID. Most easily, when SHE's logged in, click the Cache ID in the upper right of the cache's page and a box opens with the URL of the cache's page; copy it! Log in as yourself and go direcly to the page.

Go ahead and file a 'Found It' log. It's allowed. The only thing designating a PMO cache does is to restrict it from being returned in a Basic Member's search and on a Basic Member's map. It does NOT restrict the cache from being logged by a Basic Member.

Caching as a family? Priceless.

...Bill

I'm a basic member, and the show up on any map or search function that I've tried...

Same for logging from the map balloon. No real problem to find them either... when treated as a puzzle.

PMO puzzles and some other types dependent on seeing the cache page are impossible of course since you need that information you can't see. There are NO other restrictions... find it, sign it, log it. No cheating, since all information needed for average PMOCs is available to all on the site.

Fact is that PMs have some exaggerated understanding of the nature of PMOC listings... simply put ONLY the cache page is blocked to basics.

As for seeing the page itself but not the coordinates... well, that would be way too easy and any 'protection' afforded would be reduced, since it would open up the puzzles and such as well in many cases.

Doug 7rxc

Chemzone

Whilst 'Nice' to check with the cache owner first, Groundspeak does say "It's a Found it! if you've signed the log." If you don't contact the cache owner, just be prepared for the log to be deleted...

I wouldn't worry too much about the log being deleted. Not being a PM wouldn't be a valid reason to delete it, would it?

I'm a basic member, and the show up on any map or search function that I've tried...

Same for logging from the map balloon. No real problem to find them either... when treated as a puzzle.

PMO puzzles and some other types dependent on seeing the cache page are impossible of course since you need that information you can't see. There are NO other restrictions... find it, sign it, log it. No cheating, since all information needed for average PMOCs is available to all on the site.

Fact is that PMs have some exaggerated understanding of the nature of PMOC listings... simply put ONLY the cache page is blocked to basics.

As for seeing the page itself but not the coordinates... well, that would be way too easy and any 'protection' afforded would be reduced, since it would open up the puzzles and such as well in many cases.

Doug 7rxc

When I log in using my basic account, I do NOT see PMO caches on the map. I do see them in a search list but not on the map. I wonder why you can see them.

Chemzone

There are several ways to get there but you basically have to get to the "Post a Log" page for the cache that you want to log. One of the easiest ways to do so is to copy the GC# and then go to www.geocachingadmin.com. Look for the "Log" button and paste the GC# into the field next to it. Click the button and there you go.

Logging for non-premium members: follow the link below, enter the GC code and click log.

http://www.geocachingadmin.com/

I agree there should be a 'family account' available.

No need to worry about logs getting deleted. I would think that a rare occurence.

Thanks for all the input and information - we did find a couple of PMO's this past weekend that she logged but we didn't. I will probably not log every

PMO that we find but may log the ones that we really have to help her with :-) Thanks again all

When I log in using my basic account, I do NOT see PMO caches on the map. I do see them in a search list but not on the map. I wonder why you can see them.

I will check it hasn't changed this week, but I found one last week that shows up.

It looks like all the others of course, not a different marker. There used to be a brownish red dot used, but that vanished a while back. Another thing is that they vanish when you zoom in too far. Again I'll double check the current state, but I seem to recall that 1km appears on the map scale (lower left). Not sure what it would read in miles, but I can check that for you as well. When you do find one, the balloon has a 'log this cache' option that works.

Will be back.

Edit: Yep, still show at 1km/2000ft scale, green box. Vanish as soon as you zoom in closer. zooming in and out causes a flashing marker effect, but is best for ones that stay centered in the screen, those that move outside the tighter zoom level vanish from view alright, but... even if they showed there they would be out of the Field of View at that range.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

I will check it hasn't changed this week, but I found one last week that shows up.

It looks like all the others of course, not a different marker. There used to be a brownish red dot used, but that vanished a while back. Another thing is that they vanish when you zoom in too far. Again I'll double check the current state, but I seem to recall that 1km appears on the map scale (lower left). Not sure what it would read in miles, but I can check that for you as well. When you do find one, the balloon has a 'log this cache' option that works.

Will be back.

Edit: Yep, still show at 1km/2000ft scale, green box. Vanish as soon as you zoom in closer. zooming in and out causes a flashing marker effect, but is best for ones that stay centered in the screen, those that move outside the tighter zoom level vanish from view alright, but... even if they showed there they would be out of the Field of View at that range.

Doug 7rxc

Zooming out is the key. I didn't think to do that. Once I zoom out in my basic account, I can see my PMO cache and bring up the bubble with a link to the log page.

I have a friend that caches with his daughter who is a basic member. The "feature" will come in real handy for her.