Picking a geocache size

I have just started hiding my caches and came to an issue when trying to pick a cache size. The actual cache itself is a about the size of a regular sized log, but the area with the log book is very small and can only hold the log, no trade items. Should I list this as regular sized or micro?

I'd call a regular sized log a legal a school notebook, but that's me. Personally I go by the total size of the container. A 5 gallon bucket sized cache with only room for a micro logsheet is still a large-it's easier to find then the micro that the sheet was made for.

Cache size is always based on its volume. Exterior size is irrelevant. If someone places a bison tube in a knot hole of a redwood tree, the cache is not a Large. It's a micro. People generally want to know if the cache is going to be large enough to leave travelbugs, signature items and other swag.

A good rule of thumb is if it can only hold a logbook then it is a micro. Small, Regular and Large containers typically contain trade items.

micro.gif Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

small.gif Small - 100ml or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar.

regular.gif Regular - 1L or larger, but less than 20L. Examples: a plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox.

large.gif Large - 20L or larger. Example: A large bucket.

other.gif Other - See the cache description for information.

But if you are using a 100ml or larger container and the logbook takes up all of the room leaving no room for swag I suppose you could technically call it a small (or regular or large depending on the container's size) but put something in the log telling people the space in the container is occupied by the logbook. Personally, I'd provide a smaller logbook so that there's room for at least a couple of travelbugs.

Edited by L0ne R

I'd call a regular sized log a legal a school notebook, but that's me. Personally I go by the total size of the container. A 5 gallon bucket sized cache with only room for a micro logsheet is still a large-it's easier to find then the micro that the sheet was made for.

I think he means a "log" like a log laying in the woods,not a log sheet

I think he means a "log" like a log laying in the woods,not a log sheet

You should be able to a bunch of really good 8' long 2X4s out of a regular sized log, correct?

The way I look at it, and it's the way that I always look at it. How much space is in the actual container? A 1-1/2" long bison tube is always going to be a micro, regardless of what I hide it in.

I have just started hiding my caches and came to an issue when trying to pick a cache size. The actual cache itself is a about the size of a regular sized log, but the area with the log book is very small and can only hold the log, no trade items. Should I list this as regular sized or micro?

Help Center → Geocaching → Cache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship →

6.2. Containers Explained

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=75

Sizes

1. micro: e.g. 35mm film canister or smaller

2. small: Holds only a small logbook and small items.

3. regular: e.g. ammo box

4. large: e.g. 5-gallon bucket (about 20 liters)

5. other: See the cache description.

:D

B.

it is ONLY a volume thing, some tricky hides challenge the volume thing

using a very thinn but very long tube kind of container to make it a regular,

hidden inside a sign :-)

those are specially good if there are a lot of other good hiding places near by

so people forget to check inside the sign.

Edited by OZ2CPU

When there is a size mismatch like this (micro/log-only in an object that would be not a micro if the whole thing was the container) then I believe Other is the appropriate size.

Other would be appropriate. I just think that if you stuff a bison tube into the thumb hole of a bowling ball and hide it behind the bowling alley, don't set it as a regular. It's a micro.

Yes, yes, yes to Pup Patrol.

If I'm looking for a "regular" I won't necessarily look for a log that a lock n lock wouldn't fit in; likewise if I'm looking for a micro I might not check a random log on the ground. I think I would find the first frustrating, in fact.

I consider "other" as a clue that there is "something" different about the cache container. B)

Unless, of course, the cache owner has just forgotten to choose a container size, but says "it's a micro" in the description. :rolleyes:

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Unless, of course, the cache owner has just forgotten to choose a container size, but says "it's a micro" in the description. :rolleyes:

B.

You see that a lot with nanos. The CO chooses "other" then mentions the nano size in the description.

I agree, in this case, "other" seems like the best choice. Other almost always turns out to mean the container is a micro but the disguise may be larger.

The actual cache itself is a about the size of a regular sized log, but the area with the log book is very small and can only hold the log, no trade items. Should I list this as regular sized or micro?
From the perspective of what trackables and trade items the cache can hold, it's clearly a micro.

From the perspective of what seekers are looking for, it depends. If people can find the log and not know that they've found the cache, then clearly they're looking for the "area with the log book", and it's a micro; since both perspectives indicate micro, just list it as a micro.

But if people will know that the log is the cache as soon as they've found it, then clearly they're looking for the log itself, and it's a regular; since one perspective indicates micro and the other indicates regular, this might be an appropriate use of the Other ("See the cache description for information") size category. But I'd probably list it as a micro anyway, and just indicate that the camouflage is larger than the micro size category would indicate.