Does Linux Ubuntu work with Geocaching.com?

4harsan

Using Windows 7 on my desktop and managing Pocket Queries, Creating routes and enjoying geocaching immensely with my Desktop and Garmin Oregon 450.

Will I be inviting problems if I decide to try out Linux Ubuntu operating system? Would be glad to hear if anyone is using this ubuntu.

Using Windows 7 on my desktop and managing Pocket Queries, Creating routes and enjoying geocaching immensely with my Desktop and Garmin Oregon 450.

Will I be inviting problems if I decide to try out Linux Ubuntu operating system? Would be glad to hear if anyone is using this Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is an operating system. Are you using Firefox? Chrome? Both work fine. I'm using Ubuntu version "Zorin" on my netbook.

Ubuntu reads my Dakota as a hard drive when I plug it in the USB so I just cut and paste the gpx downloads directly from Ubuntu to the unit. So yes, it will work doing that. I've never tried Mapsource or Basemap using Wine on ubuntu so I'm not sure about transferring maps and such. Not sure about the SEND TO GPS feature on Ubuntu, I've never attempted that either on Ubuntu.

Ubuntu reads my Dakota as a hard drive when I plug it in the USB so I just cut and paste the gpx downloads directly from Ubuntu to the unit. So yes, it will work doing that. I've never tried Mapsource or Basemap using Wine on ubuntu so I'm not sure about transferring maps and such. Not sure about the SEND TO GPS feature on Ubuntu, I've never attempted that either on Ubuntu.

I'll second that, I have plugged a Magellan Explorist GC into an Ubuntu OS laptop, and was able to do the old cut and paste into the GC thing. I have also used firefox and surfed all over the website and the forums.

Hmmm, send to GPS? I'm no expert, but those seem to be browser plug-in's. I'm going to guess it would work on Firefox. That's just a guess though. :P

As others have said geocaching.com works fine on Ubuntu. What you may find is that how you download gpx and pq files changes slightly. Send to GPS may not work, but downloading the gpx to the memory card which mounts when you connect the GPS does the same thing.

One issue you may have is other applications such as GSAK or Garmin Base camp.

As others have said geocaching.com works fine on Ubuntu. What you may find is that how you download gpx and pq files changes slightly. Send to GPS may not work, but downloading the gpx to the memory card which mounts when you connect the GPS does the same thing.

One issue you may have is other applications such as GSAK or Garmin Base camp.

Thankyou very much for your responses.

Happy geocaching!

Actually, I couldn't get Firefox on an Ubuntu machine to "find" the send to gps Garmin Communicator or Magellan Communicator. Just sat there "searching for plug-ins" forever for the Magellan, and Garmin actually gave me a message it wasn't supported, or something like that.

Thankyou very much for your responses.

Happy geocaching!

Actually, I couldn't get Firefox on an Ubuntu machine to "find" the send to gps Garmin Communicator or Magellan Communicator. Just sat there "searching for plug-ins" forever for the Magellan, and Garmin actually gave me a message it wasn't supported, or something like that.

Doesn't surprise me. The plugins have to have access to the USB port and I *assume* that a chrome/FF plugin does not have access without writing native code. Could be wrong though.

I've been using Ubuntu linux for years as my primary computer. I don't even think I have windows installed on a PC at home, but one of the old ones might still have it in a vbox.

My Dolorme mounts just fine as a USB drive, so I just copy the GPX files over. I never really used GSAK much, and don't really see a need for it the way I load up caches, but I know some do and would miss it.