Cleaning up someone else's archived cache

I'm going to look for an archived cache this weekend that has one of my geocoins in it. The cache was placed almost a year ago with no logged finds (well, the CO logged a find instead of a note to drop off my coin), and the next log is a "temporary disable" with the note it needs new coords. He did update them but never re-enabled the cache, and after that it was archived by the reviewer.

I've emailed the CO, but if I don't hear back, what's your view on cleaning up the "geotrash?" The container might be useful or it might really be trash; if it's decent, I assume I can consider it abandoned and take it guilt-free? Obviously I wouldn't feel guilty about tossing some bits of plastic if that's all that's left.

On that note, I wonder how many abandoned, archived caches are sitting out there...would love to clean up those nearby and recover trackables, re-use containers instead of letting them rot, and even swag if it's not gross and moldy. Too bad we can't do a search for 'em...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d2898d46-5aed-40d7-aa4c-82849be885e4

Consider it abandoned and remove the container. No false hope but you might just find your coin.

Yup, that's the one. Figure there's a good chance of at least getting the coin back. Since I'm going anyway, seems silly to hike out there and leave an archived cache behind, you know?

I didn't think anyone would call me out and say "No, you must leave it in case the CO wants it" but you never know.

Edited by ByronForestPreserve

Seems like a really nice place for a cache. Why not hike out there with the intent of cleaning it up, replacing with a better container if necessary, and submitting it as a properly maintained cache for others to enjoy?

I'm sure the OP is capable of finding locations to place a cache on their own.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d2898d46-5aed-40d7-aa4c-82849be885e4

Consider it abandoned and remove the container. No false hope but you might just find your coin.

Yup, that's the one. Figure there's a good chance of at least getting the coin back. Since I'm going anyway, seems silly to hike out there and leave an archived cache behind, you know?

I didn't think anyone would call me out and say "No, you must leave it in case the CO wants it" but you never know.

Sometimes retrieving geotrash is a point of contention for some owners. They complain, but you know the difference.

Seems like a really nice place for a cache. Why not hike out there with the intent of cleaning it up, replacing with a better container if necessary, and submitting it as a properly maintained cache for others to enjoy?

Insanity

Just a totally insane idea.

;)

I considered it...but I have plenty of great locations closer to home (and work) that will be easier to maintain. Plus I've only hiked there once; should I become more familiar with the area, maybe I'll find that "perfect" spot. Of course, should GZ prove to be outstanding, I might do.

Edited by ByronForestPreserve

I've retrieved a number of archived caches, mostly for caches that were archived by the reviewer for absentee cache owners. I always write in my log that I have the cache if the owner wants it....have yet to get a response back.

In your situation, I'd first check to see if the cache owner is active i.e. when is his last find and has he been maintaining his other caches? Then I would email-maybe wait 2 weeks? Then you can check to see if the cache is listed on another site...then I would go ahead and retrieve the container.

In most cases I would agree with Mrs. I. But since Blue Deuce ID'd the cache in question in the first reply those answers are apparent. The CO was active for 5 weeks last year. They last logged in on 6/8/12. Since smartphone apps don't appear to affect that date, perhaps they are still active but the date is false? Nah, not likely; they went out on 5/20 found a few hid a couple, and then lost interest. I think the OP is free and clear to enjoy the hike, retrieve his coin, and do what he wishes with the container he finds out there in the preserve.

Yeah, I gotta agree. This player seems to have come and gone in a very short time. I would consider the cache in question abandoned.

But normally I would recommend putting a bit more effort into being sure that it wasn't listed elsewhere. Like a letterboxing site or one of the other geocaching sites. I know we wouldn't like it if say a letterboxer assumed that our game pieces were trash because they couldn't find a current listing for it on their site.

Yeah, I gotta agree. This player seems to have come and gone in a very short time. I would consider the cache in question abandoned.

Agreed. I would send the CO an email and give them a week, but based on their profile it seems their interest in the game didn't last long.

If you find the cache the log should give you a clue if the cache is listed somewhere else. No finds then I would say go for it.

Good point.

No find today, regardless. 50' from coords in one direction: a steep gully with huge trees grown up alongside and fallen across; 60' in the other direction: a natural spring with a limestone cliff above it. AT the coords--a single tree as big around as my arm and bare ground. Suspect...coords...are off. Might go back when the snow melts. Maybe.