Logging your own caches as Found it

Daddypants

Hello! I have several caches hidden, and one of them is apparently rather difficult. It is still there, but lately people have been logging it as DNF, and now nobody looks. What's the word on logging your own caches as "Found It" occasionally, if its still there but hasn't been found in a while?

Hello! I have several caches hidden, and one of them is apparently rather difficult. It is still there, but lately people have been logging it as DNF, and now nobody looks. What's the word on logging your own caches as "Found It" occasionally, if its still there but hasn't been found in a while?

This has been debated quite a lot, with some people thinking it's okay to do and others thinking it's cheesy.

If you have done a physical check of the cache, you can post a "write note" or "owner maintenance" log instead of a "found it" to let the folks know that the cache is in the correct location.

Personally, when we've gone out to check the condition of the cache, we've logged it as an "owner maintenance".

Help Center → Geocaching → Beginner's Basics

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=246

1.4. Cache Log Types and Icons

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=246

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Logging your own caches as Found is considered lame. After checking that it is still there, you can log a Note to that effect. Be sure you have the D level rated to reflect the difficulty of the hide.

A better alternative (IMHO) is to post a note or an owner maintenance log to let cachers know that it's still there. Another option is to email the cachers who logged the DNF and offer a hint so they can return to claim the find. It seems kinda silly to log a find on your own cache.

True, but many people won't even look thru recent logs for a cache that hasn't been found in a while.

Ah, so a fake "found it" log, instead of a more appropriate "owner maintenance" log will do the trick then?

Still cheesy, but if that makes you happy, then go for it.

You know, a lot of people think that posting a dnf is somehow a failure.

It's interesting to see that a cache owner sees dnf as a failure, too. More appropriate would be to re-evaluate, perhaps change, the difficulty rating, or improve the hint, but posting a "found it" instead of "owner maintenance" seems like a lame action to take. sorry, nothing personal, but you did ask for opinions and that's mine.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

True, but many people won't even look thru recent logs for a cache that hasn't been found in a while.

I always look there first.

There could be any number of DNFs, if there is one owner maintenance log at the top I would be happy as a finder.

I totally agree. A note from a CO carries way more weight in my final decision to look for a cache.

There is only one reason I would log a find on my own cache and that would be if I actually found it, before I adopted it from another owner.

In all other cases I consider it to be against the spirit of the game.

I always look there first.

There could be any number of DNFs, if there is one owner maintenance log at the top I would be happy as a finder.

I totally agree.

Me too. If a cache hasn't been found in a while, the first thing I'm going to do is look at the logs to see why it hasn't been found in a while.

Edited by The A-Team

Looking at the caches you own they have all been found in the last couple of weeks.......... Depends on the level of difficulty. If I can't find a 1 to 2 D rating after about 10 minutes I will log a dnf. Got to be in the right mind for a 3 to 4 difficulty, will spend a lot longer looking for those but WILL ALWAYS log a dnf if I don't find. If I cache with friends 2 or 3 DNFs will be logged........ How often is "a while" caches may well be popular when they are first published but then the find rate drops, that's just the way it is and you logging "found it" occasionally won't change that.

Recent finds are always a plus. But since they can include people who "find" a replacement cache they left behind (or find earlier and then log later), they do not always carry weight. Owner maintenance logs carry a lot more weight for me: essentially you're saying, "I know where it is, I checked it myself on this date, and it's definitely where it's supposed to be," whether or not you use those words.

(And in GSAK, when I'm looking at the red/yellow/green light box for the four most recent logs, both finds and owner maintenance show up as green. So there's that.)