Searching by cache name

Ruddles1325

Just a small suggestion - I sometimes search by cache name when I'm looking for a cache listing. I guess the results are listed in some kind of order of relevance i.e. similarity to the search term. But could the results be presented in order of proximity to my home location instead? The set of results could be the same, just presented by distance instead of by similarity to search term. Thanks.

I could not agree more. I also would like to understand the rational for the sort on the initial results. I searched for caches that included the character string STAR. I got 7700 hits plus - Starting in New Zealand. Page 10 got me to Australia but given I'm in California - that was not much help. How about the initial list being distance from Home coords? :D

The most common use case for this is for when someone wants to find nearby challenge caches. I don't do challenge caches myself (probably because there really aren't any nearby) but searching for "challenge" in the cache title isn't very helpful when the first page of results are all for caches over 9000 miles away. I just tried a search for challenge in the cache name and the first few pages of the results are in New Zealand. I've suggested in the past that when searching by cache name that it orders the results by distance from ones home location, or even better, make "Search by Cache Name" an "AND" search. In other words, show me a list of caches with a specific string in the cache name AND are within a specific radius to a set of coordinates (which can be determined given and address, postal code, etc).

Keep telling your friends to post to this request - NOT JUST VIEW IT. Volume may get a Lackey to make a comment as to why or why not GS is not flagging this item as SUGGESTED or SUBMITTED

Don't count on it. There are dozens (hundreds?) of other suggestions with long, detailed discussions and lots of support, but with no communication from the Lilypad. They simply will not enter into any discussions of features anymore.

Keep telling your friends to post to this request - NOT JUST VIEW IT. Volume may get a Lackey to make a comment as to why or why not GS is not flagging this item as SUGGESTED or SUBMITTED

Don't count on it. There are dozens (hundreds?) of other suggestions with long, detailed discussions and lots of support, but with no communication from the Lilypad. They simply will not enter into any discussions of features anymore.

Yeah, it's definitely become a lost cause posting here any more.

It would be nice if GS would post something or close the forum, instead of letting everyone think that Features & Suggestions made by the people who actually play the game and use the site could have any possibility of seeing the light of day.

B.

Yeah, it's definitely become a lost cause posting here any more.

B.

I was a little peeved when after more than six months of people supporting the "Bring back country based souvenirs" thread that I started, they released a bunch of country based souvenirs after the 2 millionth cache and gave the impression that it was all their idea to give geocachers a little bonus and didn't even acknowledge the fact that a lot of their users were asking for it.

I could not agree more. I also would like to understand the rational for the sort on the initial results. I searched for caches that included the character string STAR. I got 7700 hits plus - Starting in New Zealand. Page 10 got me to Australia but given I'm in California - that was not much help. How about the initial list being distance from Home coords? :D

Yeah, that is a little odd. Starts in NZ, ends in Sweden, Finland, and Norway (and Alaska). Seems to be neither rhyme nor reason.

What is the sort criteria on keyword search results? Anyone know?