How to change a regular cache to a Virtual?

andyand

I have a regular cache that has been in for years but now for some reason seems to be in a wilderness area. I have been requested to change the cache to a Virtual and remove the actual cache. Can the cache be changed to a Virtual?

I would guess "no", it can't be changed.

Guidelines:

10. Virtual and Webcam Caches have been grandfathered.

Virtual caches and webcam caches are no longer available as options for new listings on Geocaching.com. Caches of these types that existed prior to November 2005, often referred to as grandfathered caches, are exceptions to this rule and may still be active. New listings similar to these cache types can be created as waymarks at Waymarking.com.

I'm a little confused about the "but now for some reason seems to be in a wilderness area" part...has the area be recently designated as a "wilderness area" by a government agency?

And who asked that it be changed to a cache type that has been non-publishable for 8 years?

B.

Unfortunately it looks like you'll need to archive the traditional cache (assuming you were contacted by the land manager or by Groundspeak). Groundspeak or a Groundspeak volunteer would not have told you to convert the listing to a virtual, since this isn't possible. Some land managers still think that Geocaching.com lists virtual caches - possibly because of the earthcaching program.

Suggestions include developing an earthcache based on the geology of the area, or developing a multicache with virtual "information collection" stages inside the wilderness area, whose clues lead to a physical container and logbook hidden in a place where physical caches are permitted.

The Beaver Dam Mountains have been a designated Wilderness Area since 1984.

BLM wilderness areas are a bit less restricted than Forest Service wildernesses...I have permission for three caches in one here near Gila Bend.

The BLM have probably known about your cache for some time, and have only recently decided it is causing (or has the potential to cause) issues. Perhaps they have a new person in charge who thinks there is a problem with it?

Perhaps they would be appeased if you moved it closer to the main road, it won't hurt to ask if they would be willing to compromise to avoid an archival.

In any case, you must abide by their final decision.