loading PQ from tablet to Garmin Oregon 450

Followers 0

Ok, so I tried "self help" on here first and search for other conversations about transferring PQs from a tablet to a GPS. I found a few but I am still confused. I think I have figured out that easyGPS isn't an option because it isn't compatible with the Android base. I really need one of those "for dummies" books. I hope I can figure this out... my husband and I leave for Vegas on the 15th and I don't think I can load all of the PTs, geo art, etc on my GPS ahead of time (or maybe I can??). I have an ASUS Transformer TF101 tablet and a Garmin Oregon 450 GPS. I recently ordered a USB adapter for my tablet so I can connect my GPS to my tablet.

So, I did a test query and it is sitting in my "downloads" file on my tablet as a zip file. I try to click on it and open it and it says open file failed. This is where I get lost... on my home computer, I would double-click on the name of the query under "pocket queries ready for download" and then double-click on the easyGPS icon which pops up and then hit the button with the picture of the computer pointing to the GPS that says "send". Tah-dah! Caches magically appear on my GPS :)

It seems like what my tablet is missing is the equivalent of easyGPS?

Please help. Thank you.

it is sitting in my "downloads" file on my tablet as a zip file. I try to click on it and open it and it says open file failed. This is where I get lost... on my home computer, I would double-click on the name of the query under "pocket queries ready for download" and then double-click on the easyGPS icon which pops up and then hit the button with the picture of the computer pointing to the GPS that says "send". Tah-dah! Caches magically appear on my GPS :)

Here's what I've done that works:

- Use Astro File Manager to "unzip" the Pocket Query. There are several Android file managers that can "unzip", you have to find one that suits you. Use a free version first.

- Plug the GPSr into the USB port of the tablet. The tablet must recognize it as an external USB drive, for this idea to work. My Acer A500 has that ability -- a full-sized USB jack for an external drive.

- Copy the unzipped GPX files to the proper folder on the GPSr.

I haven't found an App that does all that automatically. Many Android devices can't handle an "external USB drive", some require a powered hub (the GPSr draws too much power), and some, like my Nexus 7, require a special adapter.

Once you get it all set up and working, you don't have to carry a laptop around on trips, to get a new Pocket Query.

Edited by kunarion

You have some other options. Note that both the Oregon and you ASUS have a micro SD card slot. Take the SD card out of the Oregon and put it into the ASUS. Once the ASUS sees the card it will set it up as a drive on the ASUS.

If you have an internet connection, go to Geocaching.com and at the bottom of the PQ page where it give you a choice to zip ("Compress files into *.zip format"), uncheck that so that the transmission is not compressed. It will take a few seconds longer to transmit this file, but that won't matter here. Once the PQ is ready, have the ASUS' browser save it directly to the SD card into the Garmin/gpx folder.

The hardest part will be guessing when the total number of geocaches and waypoints in the various gpx files exceeds the capacity of the Oregon (it loads all gpx files from the garmin/gpx folders in the internal memory and sd card). My suggestion is to put some number in the file name that indicates approximately how many caches are in that file. That way if you have several gpx files in that folder you have a chance of estimating whether you have hit the capacity. If you don't have an internet connection in the ASUS then you will need to use gpx files that you have stored on the tablet and move them between the tablet and the SD card with the file manager that comes with the tablet. Your best bet in this particular use is to not put any gpx files into the memory of the Oregon because you won't be able to control those if you are using just the SD card to move the information.