Semi-permanent attachment

wvmarle

Hi,

I am looking for a method to attach a cache container (a container that contains a cache container) firmly, but in a way that it can be removed without damage. The first incarnation of this cache used magnets, but after about three months it was muggled.

The object in question was an electrical conduit box (with two pipes on the bottom that reached the ground). It lasted for about three months; on my last check I noticed it was not straight up but hanging at an angle, couldn't fix it due to muggles. The front of the box was again magnetically closed so can be opened easily without screw drivers.

It blended in just perfectly. In a corner, at the back of a grey metal box, spray painted in almost the exact same shade of grey, it just belonged there. But I must find a way to attach it better than with mere magnets - basically a way that it won't move when a cleaner hits it with a broom.

Now a good blob of epoxy will do, but that's a bit too permanent.

Suggestions?

I was going to suggest velcro, but those have adhesive and are basically stickers that could be interpreted as defacement.

Only other suggestion would be to alter its location to keep it away from accidental jarring...like in a corner or on a place on the structure where something else is attached that would 'obstruct' or guard against it getting bumped by a broom or someone leaning against the wall or column.

If it's in a place that gets a lot of activity, perhaps you should reconsider the type of hide. If something as simple as a cleaner's broom could knock it loose, perhaps you should put it in a spot out of the way of common activities like cleaning or someone leaning against the wall, etc.

What type of magnets are you using? You mentioned "mere magnets", is why I ask.

Standard, everyday magnets hold only so-so. Rare-earth (Niobium) magnets hold much tighter.

If you are using niobium magnets and the problem still exists I dunno what to tell you.

I used two magnets harvested from an old hard disk. Some type of rare earth magnets. Magnets is just not good enough here.

The problem was that there were two pipes attached to it running to the ground (so it looked like some wiring coming out of the ground). Hit that with a broom and you have a lever, it absolutely won't fall off but it turns and that gives away it's not fixed in place. These pipes were some 25-30 cm long. It just made it look that much cooler than just a conduit box in the corner on the ground. And much more real than such a box sitting randomly on the side of that big metal box.

Also for easy opening of the box, I don't want to place it right on the ground, but a bit above it. No pipes, right on the ground would work against brooms of course.

The area doesn't allow for much hides. I've walked around the square maybe a dozen times to seek out hiding places, and basically the only serious options are a lame magnetic micro under a bench, or something that's hiding out in plain sight. This one was also well out of the way, a corner, next to a bench: no foot traffic there.

I did think about the conduit extending down, and yes, it is the perfect lever to make things go awry. Wondered if you could use the placement without the "levers".

FWIW -- many craft stores have available larger rare-earth magnets, some up to 1.5" in diameter. We keep a number of different sizes on hand, ourselves. As they say... bigger is better.

:lol::lol::lol::ph34r:

Look for "mounting magnets". Here are a couple of places:

http://www.magnet4less.com/index.php?cPath=1_95&osCsid=f9c2bd45e628235887306d2893696b67

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=183

It's still possible for a "broom" to shift the container, but maybe those magnets are better. Perhaps magnets at the bottom of the pipes would help.

Edited by kunarion

Hard disk magnets are designed to work in a hard disk, not to concentrate lines of flux for mounting an object. You need specialized mounting magnets. Round ceramic magnets, the ring style inside a steel cap for mounting tools might stay put (depending on who’s operating the broom).

I have nothing against hard disk magnets. I use even the smallest broken pieces of rare-earth magnets in my cache projects. As a native Geocacher, I use every part of the dead hard disk. Nothing goes to waste. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

How about using an elbow on the bottom of your pipes to make them appear to turn back into the metal box? You could place magnets in the elbows to hold that end from moving. This would allow you to have the pipes a few inches above "broom level".

First I thought you meant leading back to itself, but I think you mean turning backwards to the object it's attached to. That may be a suitable solution indeed, good one. And thinking about it, I should add some kind of ring or screw around it, and could even add an extra magnet or two there to prevent turning.

And I'll definitely look into those mounting magnets other posters suggested (if only because I'm out of hard disk magnets :-))

Great suggestions, thanks.

Hard disk magnets are designed to work in a hard disk, not to concentrate lines of flux for mounting an object.

I was recalling the times when I found Altoids tins attached by one H/D magnet and I nearly had to crush the tin to get it loose. :o

They DO come in different sizes and strengths.

The round ones withe the countersunk holes ARE nice for attaching wood or plastic items. :)