I almost got lost today

SkipMorrow

OK, it wasn't that bad. The woods I was in is pretty small. From the middle it could be 400 yards to the edge. I am using a Samsung SGS3, which is probably my first mistake, I know. But I walked 200 yards straight in, and thought I was walking 200 yards straight back, but wouldn't you know it? Somehow I made a circle and ended up right back where I started. I can't explain it, and I feel a little embarrassed, but I guess I did something wrong. I keep the phone in my pocket most of the time, because I need both hands to move branches and whatnot out of the way. Every couple of minutes I would pull the phone out to get a bearing to the spot where I came into the woods (I saved that position before I went in). I do remember once or twice the phone telling me that my entry/exit point was like way off to my side, but I guess I didn't believe it. The compass on these phones can be a little wonky.

I was wondering, do any android apps, or real GPSs, have some sort of breadcrumb feature to help you find the same path back? Or is that not as useful as it sounds? Are there other lessons I should learn here? How do I deal with multi-tasking, holding the gps/compass and needing both hands for travelling? Which is more important/useful GPS or compass?

OK, it wasn't that bad. The woods I was in is pretty small. From the middle it could be 400 yards to the edge. I am using a Samsung SGS3, which is probably my first mistake, I know. But I walked 200 yards straight in, and thought I was walking 200 yards straight back, but wouldn't you know it? Somehow I made a circle and ended up right back where I started. I can't explain it, and I feel a little embarrassed, but I guess I did something wrong. I keep the phone in my pocket most of the time, because I need both hands to move branches and whatnot out of the way. Every couple of minutes I would pull the phone out to get a bearing to the spot where I came into the woods (I saved that position before I went in). I do remember once or twice the phone telling me that my entry/exit point was like way off to my side, but I guess I didn't believe it. The compass on these phones can be a little wonky.

I was wondering, do any android apps, or real GPSs, have some sort of breadcrumb feature to help you find the same path back? Or is that not as useful as it sounds? Are there other lessons I should learn here? How do I deal with multi-tasking, holding the gps/compass and needing both hands for travelling? Which is more important/useful GPS or compass?

Most all GPS have a track function that will help get you back out of the woods or anywhere you might be. Actually, most units have the ability to use a track as a route which will lead to back to your starting point. As far as Android apps, I don't know of any that have the track function; but I am sure there are probably several out there. However, I just writting my own to work on my Google Nexus Tablet and my Galaxy 3s so they will have function tracking and routing capabilities as well as paperless caching...

David

... Which is more important/useful GPS or compass?

That would depend if the GPS is working or not, if you marked your car, and if you know how to use it. If all else fails, the compass will take you back in the direction you came.. but only if you know how to use that too.

Shaun

Here is the deal with cell phones. They may be accurate, but they are not sensitive. That means that in heavy tree cover, they don't work very well. It would have been better to just use the phones compass. That would have kept you moving in a general strait line.

The last time I relied on my SII HD LTE (aka skyrocket HD) in heavy trees, it didn't show me entering the trees, just kept indicating I was at the edge of the trees. Once in a while when I ran across a well worn path, it would update, but not very good at all. Either a hand held unit (doesn't have to be expensive), or a high sensitivity Bluetooth dongle will fix you up in these situations.

Granted the antennas and receivers in phones are generally worse than dedicated GPS machines, but not so much it should really matter for general navigational use especially with newer phones. Most of the oddities you read about cell phone receivers is due to dumb software implementation (such as, the onboard GPS receiver never locked onto satellites at all but just some crude cell phone triangulation was used, a "snap on road" feature was used in the software etc..)

Neither of Xperia X10, Samsung G Pocket, and an older Nokia has for me shown more than moderate deviation from an eTrex H when tracking with appropriate software. I have read especially intense vitriol against the receiver in older iPhones (200m+ off?) but have been unable to confirm this, when borrowing one 3GS for a while it seemed accurate.

Edited by tr_s

Real GPS units have a " Tracking " feature.....it draws a line on the map as you walk ( some units you can change the color of the line )....if you get lost you " backtrack"....just follow the track line you made on the way in and it will lead you out.

I use this feature a lot in the woods as we go " cross-country and bushwhack a lot.

Are there any "pro tips" for multi-tasking using the GPS and needing both hands for getting through the briars and brushes/etc? I find myself continually putting the phone in my pocket and taking it out every couple of minutes. Part of me would just love to have the thing out the whole time and use it like driving down a road. On clear paths and trails, this is possible, but not so much for the trailblazing.

Ehhhh -- taking compass bearings, I think was your problem.

Take a compass shot to the furthest object you can sight on, then go to it. Take another like reading to the furthest object you can sight on and go to it. Repeat until out of the woods.

You simply cannot fathom the folks that have gotten lost by looking at and trying to follow the compass itself. Many still haven't found out just what it is that they did wrong.

Use sightings, trees and the like don't move (much, anyway)!

It's sort of like rowing a boat... pick a point on the shoreline and go towards it. If you simply try to row in a straight line by focusing close, it rarely works.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Are there any "pro tips" for multi-tasking using the GPS and needing both hands for getting through the briars and brushes/etc? I find myself continually putting the phone in my pocket and taking it out every couple of minutes. Part of me would just love to have the thing out the whole time and use it like driving down a road. On clear paths and trails, this is possible, but not so much for the trailblazing.

Sure - with many Garmin handhelds you can use a carabiner and clip it to your pack strap D-rings. Put a screen protector on it and jump into the briar patch!

My older phone, I put a rubberized hardshell case on it, then attached velcro to the back. I have the other side of the velcro sewn onto my backpack strap. That way it is always right there. It is also on a lanyard for extra safety.

My Garmin Dakota 20 has a MOB feature where it automatically marks a point ( entering the woods) and sets to navigate back to it. Another good feature is Sight 'n Go on my Garmin. Find something in a compass direction, project how far away it is and automatically sets a waypoint and navigates to it. I hang it from my neck with a 14 inch lanyard and a protective case. Works great for the true outdoors ;-)

Of course, it doesn't work if there's no signal, but trees rarely affect my Garmin accuracy more that 15 or 20 feet. Phones just don't cut it for bushwhacking.