Urgent: Pebble is in it's way!

Elric77

I'm looking for a decent Geocaching App that'll connect to the Pebble watch. Apparently it's really easy to do. Hopefully the official Geocaching iOS app includes this ASAP.

But ANY app would be better than no app.

In case you've been in a cave for 8 months... www.getpebble.com

Well... yes... That would be incredible!

But this is a serious question/request lol

I wonder how many geocachers have that device. I would prefer to see GS concentrate of features on their web site or for devices that most of use that have a lot of development time spent on something that only a handful of geocachers might ever use.

Sounds like something to be done by a third party.

I really don't understand how I might use this for Geocaching.

If it were to connect to the Geocaching app running on my phone to (let's say) display a compass pointed to the cache, wouldn't my phone possibly be getting poor GPS reception from inside my pocket (or where-ever) and show an incorrect bearing? If I have to pull my phone out to get a better signal, why not just keep it out?

Switchable watch faces are cool.

Controlling my music player is cool.

Golf rangefinder...um, OK.

Caller ID? I set different ringtones to indicate if an important person is calling.

The possibilities are endless, but so far they are only possibilities...and at $150 a whack I'll get a $20 TIMEX and keep the change.

I'm waiting for a Geocaching app that can be embedded into my eyeglasses.

Heads-up display, baby!

It's not that far off. Google Glasses will probably be released to the public in the next two years or so.

All that would need to be done is take Google Glasses

http://en.wikipedia....i/Project_Glass

https://plus.google....jectglass/posts

and combine them with an app like GeoGoggles

https://play.google.....peko.geogoggle

I'm looking for a decent Geocaching App that'll connect to the Pebble watch. Apparently it's really easy to do. Hopefully the official Geocaching iOS app includes this ASAP.

But ANY app would be better than no app.

In case you've been in a cave for 8 months... www.getpebble.com

My Pebble arrived last week, so I'm pondering the possibilities of geocaching apps. It was one of the applications the Pebble folk mentioned early on, but I've not spotted anything since. However, I'm vaguely thinking about writing my own app. What would you see a Pebble geocaching app actually doing?

My first thought would be a really simple app that ran on the phone and sent out a notification to the Pebble when you went within a certain distance of a waypoint. You'd then get out your GPSr/Smartphone for the business of reading the cache description and doing the actual navigation. A more complicated version would send extra details to the Pebble (name, hint, range, bearing, etc), and might keep it updated as you got closer.

But what information is actually useful to have on your wrist? How would you navigate it? Remember that the Pebble has a small display and only a few buttons, and you're already carrying a GPSr/Smartphone with you. From what I gather (I haven't read the specs yet), I think that you would also have to actually be running the app on the Pebble (rather than a watch face) in order to do anything other than receive alerts.

PS the possibility of me actually writing this app is distinctly hypothetical. I've not got much time to put towards it and I've never written an Android app before. And don't even get any ideas about iOS!

Have any of you tried out my pebble app that I released about a week ago?

https://apps.getpebble.com/applications/571f2701bfdfeab1cf000004

iOS and Android compatible, no companion app required: Geocaching using just your watch*

*pebble must be connected to your phone via Bluetooth of course

@Elric77: This certainly did not take "only take a couple of minutes-an hour" to develop

Edited by GrezzoR

I have upgraded to Apple Watch, any chance of an app for that now?

Have any of you tried out my pebble app that I released about a week ago?

https://apps.getpebb...fdfeab1cf000004

iOS and Android compatible, no companion app required: Geocaching using just your watch*

*pebble must be connected to your phone via Bluetooth of course

@Elric77: This certainly did not take "only take a couple of minutes-an hour" to develop