Just because it hasn't been found in 2 months does not mean it's not there!

Which one? :anibad:

Not wanting to give away the caches name on here, but it's a cache on an island that's only accessible on foot at low tide, and that does not receive a lot of visitors. They're not the first to DNF it either, others have as well.

They also mentioned it hasn't been found in almost a year, and by almost a year, they mean 7 months.

I get NM on mine too just because they can't find it. One charter member actually put a NA on one of mine because they weren't experienced enough to find evil caches. By looking at their profile I could see they mainly went for easy hides. One cacher who posted a NM said they asked a previous finder. Problem there they didn't know I had already moved the cache a long time after that cacher found it.

I've run into situations when people complained to website admins about caches they couldn't find; or they published insulting messages in logs; or started similar threads at forums. I've got email threats from people who wanted me to immediately replace this or that cache because "it was impossible to find". A series of geocaches was stolen in our area as a demonstrative "punishment" for COs who hadn't agreed to provide spoilers for their hides. And of course many people used to log caches as found after they actually failed to find them. It's all about personal ambitions, lack of experience and poor social skills. I don't tolerate people who use the NM feature to demonstrate their personal attitude/disappointment. But I think placing a NM log "because-I-didn't-find-it" is not a big deal comparing to what I mentioned above. By default (as a CO) I used to handle such logs as being done by mistake and try to communicate with their authors. In most situations they appeared to be good people that simply had not enough experience/undertanding of how to use this or that feature of the site. Moreover, sometimes they hurried to delete such logs after our conversations. At the same time (with a glance from outside) I notice that folks here often use NM logs as a "tool", a method of communicating with COs. The fact that someone used this tool without proper accuracy doesn't surprise me.

Edited by -CJ-
DNF! GRRR!

This one hasn't been found in almost a year. We feel the cache owner should check on it. We could have looked harder, but with the 'fragile ecosystem' warning, we feel the owner should tell us it is there before we search harder for it.

Since when is last July "almost a year"? There are no DNFs preceding this one. I can't understand why these people can't log a simple DNF like everybody else. <_<

Don't sweat it Mr. Wilson. Someone once posted a NA on one of our caches because... get this... they didn't like the view... LOL

Sometimes you've just got to shake your head and move on.

There should be award ceremonies....... "And the award for "Most Stupid Comment Of The Year"'goes to.......

Edited by Zerpersande

Don't sweat it Mr. Wilson. Someone once posted a NA on one of our caches because... get this... they didn't like the view... LOL

Sometimes you've just got to shake your head and move on.

There was a cache that was talked about awhile back that may have had a NA posted on it "for the view". It was in the parking lot of a strip club.

DNF! GRRR!

This one hasn't been found in almost a year. We feel the cache owner should check on it. We could have looked harder, but with the 'fragile ecosystem' warning, we feel the owner should tell us it is there before we search harder for it.

Since when is last July "almost a year"? There are no DNFs preceding this one. I can't understand why these people can't log a simple DNF like everybody else. <_<

Well, I am a bit overzealous in checking my DNF reports. No promises, but all such messages go in their own mailbox and I'll check them the first time I am in the area.

Just found one tonight that hadn't been found since August of 2012. It was at the base of a red diamond on a dead end. The city had planted some monkey grass at the guard rail and diamonds and the growth had actually buried the match case cache into the ground with roots. So yes, plenty of time can pass and it still be there.