Puzzle vs Multi?

Gustav129

I have an idea for a cache, the idea is to get to the first waypoint using GPS, and in the container is a treasure map of sorts (or a few copies just in case more than one person or group is out to look for it at the same time). Then the map is used to find the final. Finally, hopefully the map is returned to the original container for future cachers to enjoy.

I got the idea from reading "Treasure Island", because the Captain knew the Latitude and Longitude of the island, but hadn't seen the map.

Would this be considered a puzzle cache or a just a multi cache?

I have an idea for a cache, the idea is to get to the first waypoint using GPS, and in the container is a treasure map of sorts (or a few copies just in case more than one person or group is out to look for it at the same time). Then the map is used to find the final. Finally, hopefully the map is returned to the original container for future cachers to enjoy.

I got the idea from reading "Treasure Island", because the Captain knew the Latitude and Longitude of the island, but hadn't seen the map.

What happens if the maps run out?

What you might do with regards to the map is put a copy on the inside of the lid. Cover it in clear packing tape to protect it and stick it to the lid (use a good watertight container to prevent damage). If you run out of maps, and if the next finder has a digital camera with them, they can photograph the map on the inside of the lid then use the camera/cellphone to get to the final. But it might upset people who didn't bring a camera with them. You could note in the description that a digital camera may be necessary to photograph the map.

Edited by L0ne R

It's been done and done very well right here in the twin cities. :D

Edited by rustynails.

How straight-forward is following the map? If it's comparable to projecting a waypoint or entering new coordinates into a GPSr, then listing it as a multi-cache would be perfect.

If following the map is tricky and more like solving a puzzle, then listing it as a mystery/puzzle cache makes sense.

[edit: fix typo]

Edited by niraD

My map cache was listed as a multi, however it also had five prior stages of bearing, and distance to even get to the map cache. I was told by a reviewer that a cache must have either bearing and distance or some kind of cords leading the cacher to the next stage of a cache, due to the fact that a GPS is used to find the cache is the game itself. I think mine was given a pass due to the extreme use of a GPS to arrive at the map cache.

You may want to contact a local reviewer before you go to the trouble of setting it.

here is what I have been told about this . . .

the final for an unknown/mystery geocache must be within two miles of the given coordinates

if this is not the case, then you are supposed to list it as a multi

other than that, it is really up to the geocache owner as to how to classify their geocache

- - - -

minor terminology point . . .

there is no "puzzle" geocache type

the question mark icon indicates an "unknown/mystery" geocache

and while many puzzles are listed as unknown/mystery geocaches, not all such geocaches are puzzles

here is what I have been told about this . . .

the final for an unknown/mystery geocache must be within two miles of the given coordinates

if this is not the case, then you are supposed to list it as a multi

other than that, it is really up to the geocache owner as to how to classify their geocache

Not quite. For a true puzzle cache, where the posted coordinates are "bogus," the two mile rule of thumb applies. A multicache with a physical stage at the posted coordinates can have a final cache location hundreds of miles away. The test for listing a cache as a multi or a mystery/puzzle is not based on the distance of the final from the posted coordinates. Rather, look first at what's located at the posted coordinates.

minor terminology point . . .

there is no "puzzle" geocache type

the question mark icon indicates an "unknown/mystery" geocache

and while many puzzles are listed as unknown/mystery geocaches, not all such geocaches are puzzles

A puzzle cache is a subset of the "?" cache type.

It's true, though, that the website lacks consistency in how it refers to mystery/puzzle caches in various places.