Mission 9: Tunnel of Light Reclaimed - Lost?

MtnMutt-ProDuckShins

This morning I just noticed that Mission 9: Tunnel of Light Reclaimed has been taken once more.

I would like to throw out an idea... :unsure:

What about placing a Plaque similar to the Original Stash Plaque or even looks like the Original Container? This would show some of the Original Items on it.

Remember this is just an idea to have everyone Ponder over.

Groundspeak or WSGA, could start a Plaque Fund which everyone can toss in a couple of Dollars more or less to fund the Project.

It would be sad to let this Cache go away since so many enjoy the events around it and the thrill of Hiking the Tunnel to find it.

The History is there... Now how can we save it?

I understand your desire to preserve the history, but I agree with Isonzo Karst, that as long as the summit cache maggot continues his war against the caches in the area I think any plaque is all but gone as soon as it is placed. Unfortunately he seems to be winning the war at this stage.

What about placing a Plaque similar to the Original Stash Plaque or even looks like the Original Container? This would show some of the Original Items on it.

Groundspeak or WSGA, could start a Plaque Fund which everyone can toss in a couple of Dollars more or less to fund the Project.

This idea has been suggested before, and is an interesting one. It wouldn't provide the same experience as the original APE cache, which the tribute cache has tried to emulate, but the plaque could commemorate the APE series, which has a special place in geocaching history.

However, the plaque idea has a few kinks that would need to be worked out:

• The location is in a WA State Park, which would have to approve and permit the plaque.
  • The plaque would need to be permanently affixed to something (rock or poured concrete, e.g.), which Iron Horse State Park probably wouldn't allow (although we have nothing to lose by asking).
  • For Groundspeak to allow it as a cache, there would also have to be a physical container with log (as the Original Stash Plaque has), which could be just as easily stolen (repeatedly).

As host of the annual Going APE mega-event, WSGA would certainly love to see an APE cache continue in some form at Snoqualmie Pass, although this year's event proved we don't need an actual APE cache to draw a crowd (800 folks, the most yet).

WSGA would probably be willing to pursue, fund, and maintain such a plaque, if it were supported by the caching community and Groundspeak. But that's a big IF.

Edited by hydnsek

The biggest problem I see with a plaque is, as Hydnsek pointed out, that in order for it to be a cache it has to have a container. The Oregon plaque has a container nearby.

Once we put out the container, we're back where we are now.

I'm pretty amazed it was taken. I helped replace it last time and it was pretty tough to take.

For what it's worth, I'm available to help again. Just give me a little advance notice.