Low internal battery?

I looked on the Garmin site and they recommend you either install new batteries and leave GPS unit off for 5 days, or connect cigarette adapter and leave hooked up for 3 days.Supposedly, that will give sufficient charge to the internal battery. I'll try one of those.

quote:
Originally posted by ron75951:

I looked on the Garmin site and they recommend you either install new batteries and leave GPS unit off for 5 days, or connect cigarette adapter and leave hooked up for 3 days.Supposedly, that will give sufficient charge to the internal battery. I'll try one of those.

I used the cigarette adaptor method on my XL. Worked like a charm. I agree though, that if that doesn't do the trick, it may be time to upgrade. You can get a new GPS with many more feature for just a little more than Garmin charges to service an XL - 89 bucks last time I looked.

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

quote:
Originally posted by ron75951:

Thanks pater47. I agree, I will upgrade instead of having it serviced.How long did the cigarette adapter solution last you? I am trying it now.

Did this a little over a year ago. Still working fine. Left it alone on it for a long weekend (and yes, I went through cache withdrawal).

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

I've had two Garmin GPS12's that need new memory batteries. The battery is quite unusual - I doubt any watch battery would suit as it's a rechargeable vanadium pentoxide type. See:

Panasonic Vanadium Pentoxide web page

I needed the VL1220 type. Getting the case open is easy, once the silicone is scraped out of the thin gap and the case gently levered apart – there are no screws. Getting a tidy seal again is a pain. The soldering also requires a very steady hand and fine tip. The battery cost US$6 in NZ.

The way to avoid the problem is to always leave the main AA batteries in the GPS as these are required to trickle (minutely) charge the memory battery. Later GPS's don’t have the memory battery, thereby eliminating the problem altogether.

Cheerio for now - Tony, New Zealand

Just to update all who replied to my question about the 'low memory battery...I emailed Garmin and they said send them the unit and they will replace the battery and install current updates (best of all...it was free icon_smile.gif).

Just got the unit back...good as a new one. Garmin really stands by their products.

Thanks to all who replied.