Favorites -- Percentages

cwgrizz

I just noticed something interesting after becoming a "Premium" member. One of my caches which has only about a dozen finds since it was placed about 10 months ago has changed drastically the % of favorites after I became PM. I think I know why it has. I posted many Notes when I placed TB's in the cache. Now my membership status has changed to PM. I did not realize it until now, but it seems that logs by PM, no matter what kind, drop the percentage of Favorites to PM logs. I am debating on removing my notes to get a better picture by those looking at the favorites picture of the cache.

It's not a big deal and I am sure many have been aware of this for a long time. Probably I am the slow one in figuring this out. If only GS would use the Found PM logs and not every log for figuring the percentage.

What do you think? How important do you feel it is to post a note and leave it when dropping a TB?

I just noticed something interesting after becoming a "Premium" member. One of my caches which has only about a dozen finds since it was placed about 10 months ago has changed drastically the % of favorites after I became PM. I think I know why it has. I posted many Notes when I placed TB's in the cache. Now my membership status has changed to PM. I did not realize it until now, but it seems that logs by PM, no matter what kind, drop the percentage of Favorites to PM logs. I am debating on removing my notes to get a better picture by those looking at the favorites picture of the cache.

It's not a big deal and I am sure many have been aware of this for a long time. Probably I am the slow one in figuring this out. If only GS would use the Found PM logs and not every log for figuring the percentage.

What do you think? How important do you feel it is to post a note and leave it when dropping a TB?

I don't think a "Note" counts. I have a cache with 2 points, 2 finds and 1 note, it's at 100%.

Your cache looks fine, 4 points from 10 PM logs, 40%

Edited by RIclimber

RI,

You are right. Now it is showing as you stated. Before I posted the question it was showing <1%. I guess it was just a hiccup. If I could have figured out how to add a picture to my post, I would have uploaded a screenshot showing the <1%. Oh well, thanks for having me check again and seeing the correct % displayed once again. Ha!

The favorites point percentage issue not withstanding, I feel notes to drop (or visit) a TB should be deleted...every time.

Well, perhaps they might serve a purpose if there were a few DNF logs prior to someone dropping the TB, but then the note would be about saying the cache was OK, and the TB drop would be secondary.

Some people say one should not post multiple DNF logs if you attempt a cache repeatedly because it pushes the other logs (with potentially valuable detail) down the page and out of sight. TB drop notes fall into the same category...the TB was dropped, and now that the note has served it's purpose, it's pointless.

The favorites point percentage issue not withstanding, I feel notes to drop (or visit) a TB should be deleted...every time.

Well, perhaps they might serve a purpose if there were a few DNF logs prior to someone dropping the TB, but then the note would be about saying the cache was OK, and the TB drop would be secondary.

Some people say one should not post multiple DNF logs if you attempt a cache repeatedly because it pushes the other logs (with potentially valuable detail) down the page and out of sight. TB drop notes fall into the same category...the TB was dropped, and now that the note has served it's purpose, it's pointless.

A note that describes activity on a cache is part of its history, just like a found it or a DNF. IMHO the percentage favorites is the pointless statistic. Wasn't even aware that was tracked.

Some people say one should not post multiple DNF logs if you attempt a cache repeatedly because it pushes the other logs (with potentially valuable detail) down the page and out of sight.

I can see the logic in this, but multiple DNF's can alert a CO and also gives you an idea whether it's worth searching hard for a cache. If there are several DNF's on a cache with a low D rating we only have a quick look then move on.

A note that describes activity on a cache is part of its history, just like a found it or a DNF. IMHO the percentage favorites is the pointless statistic. Wasn't even aware that was tracked.

The fact that TB123XYZ was dropped or visited the cache is recorded in the TB records for the cache.

The candy has been delivered, but go ahead and leave the wrapper laying there if you like.

Some people say one should not post multiple DNF logs if you attempt a cache repeatedly because it pushes the other logs (with potentially valuable detail) down the page and out of sight.

I can see the logic in this, but multiple DNF's can alert a CO and also gives you an idea whether it's worth searching hard for a cache. If there are several DNF's on a cache with a low D rating we only have a quick look then move on.

Personally, I would probably log each DNF (with the correct time), if I searched for a cache three or four times on the same day.

I admit I am somewhat sporadic on this.

Sometimes I choose not to reward the hider with another DNF from AZcachemeister. ;)

IMHO the percentage favorites is the pointless statistic.

For my caching aesthetics, the percentage is, perhaps, the most valuable bit of data on a cache page.

For instance, looking at the cache closest to me with a bunch of favorite points brings me to a tourist trap theme park virtual. It has gobs of favorite points, but only because it gets great big heaping gobs of visits. The percentage of PMs who awarded it favorite points is actually fairly low.

I have worked out a method for sorting the proverbial wheat from the chaff, so to speak, using this data. Granted, it's not a perfect system, but so far, every cache I've applied it to has been one I thoroughly enjoyed, and I'm about as picky a cacher as one can be.

Step one is to do a search of a geographic area, then sort them by favorite points, focusing on those with 10 or more. Then I sort that list by percentages. In accordance with my personal tastes, I have found that any cache in this list with more than 30% is one I will like. More than 50% is one I'll love. And more than 70% is one I will rave about.

Where there is a potential fail is if you find yourself in a region where most of the PMs like a vastly different type of cache than you do. For instance, if you are Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs over film cans at uninspired locations, and the majority of PMs like quality containers at interesting locations, this will not work for you. The reverse is also true. If you like quality containers at interesting locations, and the local PM populace prefers film cans at uninspired locales, you won't find this method helpful.

But so far, for me, it's worked perfectly.

Step one is to do a search of a geographic area, then sort them by favorite points, focusing on those with 10 or more.

Clan R,

As you stated your method works for you for the most part. The only problem with this first step is a cache that only has a dozen or so finds and therefore has less than 10 favorites, but the percentage may be above your standard of 30% or more. It may be a great cache, but is off the beaten path and not visited often, like mine. Ha! :laughing:

Step one is to do a search of a geographic area, then sort them by favorite points, focusing on those with 10 or more.

Clan R,

As you stated your method works for you for the most part. The only problem with this first step is a cache that only has a dozen or so finds and therefore has less than 10 favorites, but the percentage may be above your standard of 30% or more. It may be a great cache, but is off the beaten path and not visited often, like mine. Ha! :laughing:

Too true. Anywhere you go, there will always be high quality caches that just don't get found enough. I tend to use just the sheer number of favorites as a guide but it's rare for something to be an areas top favorited cache and have a high favorite ratio (The Raven's Labyrinth, for example). Something that has a 80/90/100% favorite ratio may have only been found five times and fall a ways back in the sorting list against virtuals and traditionals that have been found hundreds of times and have many more favorite points.

Clan R,

As an owner of many a lonely cache, I get what you are saying. I also balance this against the fact that I can't find them all. If I do my sorting, and find my list of potential hides to hunt is too low for the timeframe I'll be in the area, I'll start working my way lower down the favorites points column, searching for those caches with only a handfull of finds, but an exceptional ratio. I don't doubt I'll miss out on a stellar cache every now and then, but if all I did was generate a PQ and start hunting the closest of the thousand or so results, I would miss out on a lot more.

Your hypothetical perfect cache will still be there when I make my next trip, and if it's as amazing as you imagine, I have little doubt it will make it to the top of the heap. Patience, brother! B)

Edited by Clan Riffster