Now that it's legal is it legal?

I would stop geocaching when I start finding weed in caches. It would actually piss me off if I opened a cache, there's some weed, and now my finger prints are all over everything.

And why would you care if your fingerprints are all over everything? After all it is legal. :anibad:

It seems this thread was started as an attempt to make a joke. I find it is amusing that some people seem to take it seriously. If alcohol, drugs and tobacco are against the rules, weed is also. Legal or not. B):)

Edited to add, I realized you may be talking about finding weed in a cache outside of Washington.

I do most of my caching in Idaho/Washington, since I live on the border of the two states.

As it's been brought up, it's not as "legal" as everybody makes it out to be.

It's only decriminalized for having an oz or less on your person. It is not legal to use in public, it is not legal to distribute, it's not legal to drive while under the influence, and so on.

That's why I would not want my fingerprints on anything.

The federal government is already ramping up to step in if it's sold a dispensaries sell to collect taxes on them. It's a federal crime to collect any tax on a Schedule 1 drug. Here in WA, the biggest selling point for the bill was collecting taxes to raise revenue. I was part of the 45% that voted No.

I think the fingerprint problem would only be if you were the FTF. After that, all sorts of prints. But, are you saying your prints are on file somewhere :unsure:

I would stop geocaching when I start finding weed in caches. It would actually piss me off if I opened a cache, there's some weed, and now my finger prints are all over everything.

I can understand how you feel. I was quite upset when the new geocache container I found lying on the River bank was a container for some sort of synthetic drug that was actually killing people, we had a epidemic with the bath salts and synthetic pot junk. I did not want my finger prints on that container either, and normally I don't toss junk in the River. I first thought it was a fish bait container.

I think the fingerprint problem would only be if you were the FTF. After that, all sorts of prints. But, are you saying your prints are on file somewhere :unsure:

As of a matter of fact yes, ATF paperwork to have a pyrotechnician license, I'm on the fire dept, Utah Non-Resident CCW Permit and applying for Oregon too. Besides, in elementary school, they fingerprinted everybody (mid 80's).

I'm probably the one that can lose the most even from something that's deemed legal. I would rather give up a hobby than give up my life.

Edited by gustav129

As of a matter of fact yes, ATF paperwork to have a pyrotechnician license, I'm on the fire dept, Utah Non-Resident CCW Permit and applying for Oregon too. Besides, in elementary school, they fingerprinted everybody (mid 80's).

I'm probably the one that can lose the most even from something that's deemed legal. I would rather give up a hobby than give up my life.

What's the big deal with having your finger prints on file. Have you ever applyed for a Federal or State job that requires a criminal background check? I'm a CWP and a FFL holder and have submitted my finger prints and they are on file. My kids were finger printed in elementary school and at our local Church, they even take hair samples.

Even if finger prints were and issue, I would just use gloves when I geocache. I have before, but creepy-crawlys and stinging nettles were my biggest concerns. :)

What's the big deal with having your finger prints on file. Have you ever applyed for a Federal or State job that requires a criminal background check? I'm a CWP and a FFL holder and have submitted my finger prints and they are on file. My kids were finger printed in elementary school and at our local Church, they even take hair samples.

Even if finger prints were and issue, I would just use gloves when I geocache. I have before, but creepy-crawlys and stinging nettles were my biggest concerns. :)

Did I say it's a bad thing my finger prints are on file? County Job - Yup, fire fighter, CCW - Yup. ATF Paperwork - Yup, pryotechnician, and going through the process of FFL 03. The answer was in the post that you quoted already.

It was GrateBear who insinuated that I had to have done some thing bad to have my fingerprints on file. I was pointing out that I have my fingerprints on file in many systems, all for doing something good.

OH, and bringing up Fed Jobs. I don't mentin it much, becaue I was injured in boot camp, and discharged, so I'm not a Veteran. But I enlisted in the Marines. Finger printed again.

Edited by gustav129

I suspect some of my muggled caches are now stashes, so please consider you may find someone's "drop" using a purloined cache container.

Did I say it's a bad thing my finger prints are on file? County Job - Yup, fire fighter, CCW - Yup. ATF Paperwork - Yup, pryotechnician, and going through the process of FFL 03. The answer was in the post that you quoted already.

It was GrateBear who insinuated that I had to have done some thing bad to have my fingerprints on file. I was pointing out that I have my fingerprints on file in many systems, all for doing something good.

OH, and bringing up Fed Jobs. I don't mentin it much, becaue I was injured in boot camp, and discharged, so I'm not a Veteran. But I enlisted in the Marines. Finger printed again.

My response should have been to GrateBear, we have lot's in common it seems. My prints are on file in many places. I'm like you not talking about jobs. Criminals look at us like we are the bad guys. I think I may even have a "pet chip" installed that I was not made aware of at the VA. :laughing:

I am no way against pot! I was a pot head for many years! I think it is funny when I find it in a cache and have many times. When I am with my daughter we get rid of it and once took a pipe to give to someone. Otherwise I just leave it for the next to find to decide. Legal or not I don't think it is good swagg as we play this game with kids and not only adults or it would be awesome swagg. Also depends on how it is left. A good bud in a nice bag is different then a bunch of scritchals left all over. Not even good for someone who found it. Still I vote not to leave it just smoke it and enjoy your time caching and leave something else.

One thought about leaving pot in caches. How long before the media get hold of a cache containing drugs and the entire geocaching hobby and it's enthusiasts get tarred with the same brush. As its known that we all use the caches as a secret way to trade drugs. Imagine what is in the caches near your child's school!! We only found pot in this one, but imagine how much meth / ecstasy / heroin or whatever you could fit in these hidden containers.

I still cannot believe there are idiots that leave ammunition in caches either...