Random questions :D

DreamingDog

Hello Everyone,

I have a few random questions and was unable to find the answers. I hope you all will be kind enough to indulge me and share your knowledge. :)

My biggest concern is stepping on the toes of fellow geocachers.

My questions:

1. If I come across a cool cache in need of attention- what is the etiquette on this? I know I can report it, and have, but can I do non-theme changing repairs or is this a big no-no?

2. Trackables- specifically TB's. Can I add a small laminated card- about the size of a business card- to one with a QR code that leads to the TB's web page?

3. We are thinking of making a string of themed caches. I know about the 1/10th mile rule and want them placed close enough to my house so I can keep them up nicely. Unfortunately my area is rather saturated. There are some caches in prime spots that are labeled as being in need of repair. If they are deemed inactive (I saw one that said the owner had 30 days to check on it) does this mean that spot can be taken by a new geocache?

4. If the answer to the above is yes- is there a way to find a list of inactive geocache locations?

5. On a totally different note... and this one is going to seem really outside of the box but bear with me please:

A friend wants to use her late husband's grave (he was an avid geocacher) as a location to place a cache in his honor. What is everyones opinion on this? I would assume that she would need permission from the graveyard owner? I have absolutely no idea really. Are there any caches in graveyards? Seems like a big no-no but she wanted me to ask. :)

That is it for now- but I bet I will add another question to this thread when I think of something new!

THANKS EVERYONE!

On a related note to my questions I found that an abandoned geocache can be adopted- In the event that someone else is curious here is the link:

http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54

On this document is does say "Archived caches cannot be transferred, and rarely will archived caches be unarchived for the purpose of adoption." This does not clarify if the general location is allowed to be used though.

Perhaps I will locate my local volunteer... :rolleyes:

Edited by DreamingDog
2. Trackables- specifically TB's. Can I add a small laminated card- about the size of a business card- to one with a QR code that leads to the TB's web page?

If it is owned by you, yes. You may add most anything like that. If it's a TB you found (someone else's), don't add or change anything unless they request it.

5. Are there any caches in graveyards?

The most common style is a Multi Cache. People get a year or other number off the headstone, then do a calculation. The final coords are for a container somewhere else. But I've seen a cache where a clam shell had coords written on it, and that was in a concrete urn (full of green water :rolleyes:), directly on the grave. And another where people lift loose bricks around around the edge of the grave to find a small container. Of all the ideas, the "coords on the headstone" is the most respectful. It just feels weird to poke around graves, especially when other people are present in the cemetary.

But if the guy was a Geocacher, a specially designed clue on the headstone would be pretty cool.

Edited by kunarion

Hello Everyone,

I have a few random questions and was unable to find the answers. I hope you all will be kind enough to indulge me and share your knowledge. :)

My biggest concern is stepping on the toes of fellow geocachers.

My questions:

1. If I come across a cool cache in need of attention- what is the etiquette on this? I know I can report it, and have, but can I do non-theme changing repairs or is this a big no-no?

Responses to this may be widely varied -- I suggest minor repairs (along with a corresponding note of same), but major and continuing maintenance should be handled by the CO. It is part of the responsibility of being a Cache Owner.

You can do most anything you so well desire with your TB.

You should not ever add anything to anothers' TB without prior permission from the owner -- it is after-all, theirs, not yours.

3. We are thinking of making a string of themed caches. I know about the 1/10th mile rule and want them placed close enough to my house so I can keep them up nicely. Unfortunately my area is rather saturated. There are some caches in prime spots that are labeled as being in need of repair. If they are deemed inactive (I saw one that said the owner had 30 days to check on it) does this mean that spot can be taken by a new geocache?

"Inactive" -- No!

Archived -- yes.

Need of repair has absolutely no bearing on the matter.

As far as saturation goes, you are gonna have to work that out on your own. Some CO's may assist you by moving or disabling (archiving) theirs, but I really wouldn't count on it. I also have a sneaking suspicion that you have not yet considered the possibility of multi-caches being 'in your way' in trying to create placements. It can be very difficult and frustrating in saturated areas.

4. If the answer to the above is yes- is there a way to find a list of inactive geocache locations?

If mean archived caches -- no, but it really doesn't matter as they (technically) do not exist anymore.

If you mean -- does somebody keep track of 'available' locations? Well maybe, but if so, you can bet that it is for their use (only).

5. On a totally different note... and this one is going to seem really outside of the box but bear with me please:

A friend wants to use her late husband's grave (he was an avid geocacher) as a location to place a cache in his honor. What is everyones opinion on this? I would assume that she would need permission from the graveyard owner? I have absolutely no idea really. Are there any caches in graveyards? Seems like a big no-no but she wanted me to ask. :)

IMPORTANT: Check your local laws/ordinances regarding placement of things within organized cemetery grounds. It many places, it is not legal to do such.

That said.... there are many geocaches in graveyards.

Drying out the container or adding a new log is generally accepted as just fine. Things like replacing the container should be left up to the owner, unless you've contacted them ahead of time and received their blessing.

Absolutely! I did exactly this with one of my recent TBs, including the QR code. My card wasn't as big as a business card, though. The average size of caches seems to be decreasing these days, so keeping the entire TB as compact as possible will mean it can fit in more caches.

What you call "inactive" is referred to on this site as being "archived". Once a cache is archived, that spot becomes just like any other spot on the earth that isn't occupied by a cache (assuming the reason for archival wasn't something that would prevent future caches, like a ban on caching by the owner of the land). You can do whatever you want with the spot.

Archived caches don't show up on the map. The only way to learn about them is through the list of hides by an owner, or the list of finds by other cachers. I guess that makes the answer yes, but difficult and nearly impossible for a specific spot.

Some regions have blanket policies for cemeteries/graveyards. Sorry, I don't know what policies there may be for California. If they are allowed, you'd still need to get permission from the specific graveyard. Caches in graveyards are certainly not out of the ordinary. There are regions where they are plentiful.

Thanks so much for the input guys!

I was meaning my own TB- but it is good to clarify for anyone reading that they should not alter anyone else's trackables! :)

Archived- okay this is the term I was looking for. I assume then that if a cache is archived then the location is released. (Yeah- makes sense since it no longer exists. I was just unsure if a legacy hold was retained on a position)

Regarding repairs-this makes sense. I will not go overboard then. One was just to fix the seal but the other needed a new container. I will leave it up to the owner. I like helping people but some folks might not want the help.

I laughed at the list of available locations- I was just thinking of comparing archives with current active caches to see if any spots appeared. As is I am exploring different areas every day to find the right locations. I would not share my list of possibilities at this time either! :lol:

I'll try and give some quick, short answers, I'm sure others will chime in with more details.

My questions:

Minor maintenance like a new logging strip of paper (if the log book's full), removing soggy/mouldy rubbish, or putting items into a ziplock bag for protection are generally acceptable. More major maintenance (like replacing damaged containers) is usually up to the cache owner. Use the 'Needs Maintenance' log to let owners know what needs to be done.

If it's your own TB you can do what you like with it - as long as it's all "family friendly". Don't add anything to other cachers' trackables without their permission.

Once any cache has been archived by either the owner or a reviewer then that location is immediately available for a new placement (always assuming it meets all current guidelines for listing).

If by "inactive geocache locations" you mean "locations of previously archived caches in your area" - No. (At least - not easily)

Yes, there are caches in graveyards. Here in UK you have to get the permission from whoever owns/runs the graveyard. I assume much the same applies in U.S.

I understand that you want to ask further questions for clarification but it might be easier if you start a new topic for each specific question otherwise things might get a bit jumbled by the end of this thread! :)

MrsB

You guys are so awesome! Thanks for the info!

I will start a new topic if I come up with another question. Some forums are not keen on a post for each question and ask for consolidation. Glad to know this one does not discourage posts. I won't spam- and I research first before posting to be as sure as possible that it is not a common question.

Very interesting on the graveyards- passing the info on.

I was just thinking of comparing archives with current active caches to see if any spots appeared.

Try to find "bookmark" lists of local caches, (some of them might be on cache pages). As caches in the list get archived, they have strike-throughs on their links. I usually ask the owner if they plan to activate a new cache there (it's just a courtesy, there's no particular requirement). One very handy thing to find out is: "Why was it archived?" Because if the container was stolen all the time, that's real important to know, before you put out a new one in the same spot.

If you are talking about something like drying the cache out it's fine. If you mean something bigger like replacing the container, don't do it. That's the COs job. If they won't do it, all you're doing it's prolonging the life of a bad cache. Post NM or NA as needed and let the system work.

Unless the TB page gives you premission to add hitchickers, no you shouldn't.

Yes, once a cache is archived the area is open because there is not an active cache there.

If you mean, is there a way to find an open spot, just look on the cache map. That would be your first step.

If you mean is there a list of archived caches you can search, then no there is not.

There are entire series of caches in cemeteries. Edited by Totem Clan

My version of the answers to these questions....

You can do maintenance on a cache but just be aware that some owner, not many, but some, don't want folks messing with their caches. There are caches here I would not lift a finger to help for that very reason because I know the owners. There are others I would not hesitate to fix for the same reason. If I do a fix, I mention it in my find log. If I don't, I post a "Needs Maintenance" log.

Don't do anything to any trackable without contacting the traveler's owner first. I've seen people get angry just beciase someone cleaned the item attached to a TB or put a TB in a ziploc to protect it.

I will assume that by "inactive" you mean "disabled". A disabled cache is still, technically, active and the spot and the area around it are still "in play". Once a cache is archived, the area is once again available for placement of another cache.

There are a great many caches in cemeteries and I love them, but many folks do find them offensive. I get scoochy about poking around headstones looking for caches and I most definitely detest those that make you, or even make you think you need to, climb on headstone to get a cache. Yes, I've seen plenty of those. I even saw one where someone had moved a 100+ year old obelisk to lean it against a tree to use it to climb into the tree. I don't know of it was a cacher or not, but it illustrates just how thoughtless some people will be if given the opportunity. As for permission, I don't know about specific plots, but I would expect the plot belongs to whomever paid for it. But access to the cemetery and using it for caching is yet another matter and I would think that would come under the purvue of the cemetery owners/keepers and state law.

If you discover that it is legal to place a cache at a grave, make sure that you mention in the write-up that you have also "personal" permission to place it there.

I would not want to be stomping all over an unaffiliated stranger's grave, but i would have no problem visiting a cacher's final earthly spot.