Do something with a "missing" Geocoin

graham&linda

I recently found TB44FPR Geocachers Star 2009 Geocoin whilst on holiday in Spain. When I went to log the find I saw it was marked as missing. I have logged it as found but there is no option to drop it off again. I have emailed the owner but had no reply. Am I doing something wrong or does the owner need to do something? With apologies from a relative newbie!

You cannot do anything because it is not in your possession. You logged 'discovered'. That means that you saw it, but did not take it. If it is in the cache where it was lasat dropped, you you need to log 'retrieved' to get it in your possession. If it is in a different cache, you need to 'grab' it. Which would seem to be the proper thing in this occasion. Move it along! (But 'grab' it first.)

Oops. Sorry. You did use the correct code! My apologies.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

You cannot do anything because it is not in your possession. You logged 'discovered'. That means that you saw it, but did not take it. If it is in the cache where it was lasat dropped, you you need to log 'retrieved' to get it in your possession. If it is in a different cache, you need to 'grab' it. Which would seem to be the proper thing in this occasion. Move it along! (But 'grab' it first.)

Thanks for quick response

OK - I've now "grabbed it" but log only gives options to "write note" or "discover".

Thanks for quick response

OK - I've now "grabbed it" but log only gives options to "write note" or "discover".

When you place the coin into a cache container (and when you make your online log), at the bottom of the log's web page, select "Dropped Off" in the menu next to that coin. You see the "Dropped Off" option on the cache log form, not the coin's page.

Edited by kunarion

Seems you have some stumbling blocks to cross.......

It is listed as "In the hands of graham&linda.".

Are you trying to log it into a cache? You must be in the process of logging a cache in order to have available a "Dropped off..." log.

You can log a note or discover without logging a cache, but you must be at a cache to drop it!

Seems you have some stumbling blocks to cross.......

It is listed as "In the hands of graham&linda.".

Are you trying to log it into a cache? You must be in the process of logging a cache in order to have available a "Dropped off..." log.

You can log a note or discover without logging a cache, but you must be at a cache to drop it!

And, if you have already physically dropped it in a cache and posted a found log, you can go back to that cache page and post a note, (don't post a second found log). After you write the log but before posting it, look at the bottom and you should see the coin listed in your "inventory". This is where you select to drop it. When you post the log, it will be transferred to the cache.