TB came with only the copy

KMandDM

Hello everyone! I have a quick question that I thought I would post to the community and see if a similar situation has occurred before. I received a TB as a gift, a very excellent gift at that, and though it came with the stickers and activation code and such, on the chain there was only the "copy" tag and not both the copy and original. I have not activated the bug, and I believe it was purchased from REI, although I know it was unopened since I enthusiastically did that. I am aware that people sometimes send the copies out when the original goes missing, but before I decide on that I am trying to find out if there is any way to acquire a duplicate original since I have the copy. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Happy caching.

-DM

Hello everyone! I have a quick question that I thought I would post to the community and see if a similar situation has occurred before. I received a TB as a gift, a very excellent gift at that, and though it came with the stickers and activation code and such, on the chain there was only the "copy" tag and not both the copy and original. I have not activated the bug, and I believe it was purchased from REI, although I know it was unopened since I enthusiastically did that. I am aware that people sometimes send the copies out when the original goes missing, but before I decide on that I am trying to find out if there is any way to acquire a duplicate original since I have the copy. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Happy caching.

-DM

You said it came with stickers. Do they look like a TB or have the TB design in them with the tracking code? If so then they could be considered the original. For example you put the decal(original) on your car but you sell your and forget to take it off. You could then take the numbers from the copy tag and have a custom decal made for you with those numbers.

Edited by T.D.M.22

-DM

I think I would be talking to whomever gave you this gift and explain to them it's not a useable tb, can they take care of correcting the situation. Why wouldn't they?

Wow thanks for all the replies. I believe you all figured it out. The sticker is indeed a car window cling, and it has numbers on it. I had no idea that was the tb, I thought it was just a cool extra to show off on a car. So some people turn cars into tb using the sticker? Kind of neat. Now I will start thinking of something cool to put the numbers on and start it on its way. Thanks again for all the help!

-DM

IMO, even if it's been bought as a vehicle 'cling' TB you should still have been supplied with both parts of the original TB tag. Cachers sometimes change their minds and decide they no longer want to have a car TB, they want to use the tracking number for a regular TB. In such cases they should be able to remove the 'cling' from the car and use the original metal tag, not the 'copy', for their new TB.

MrsB :)

IMO, even if it's been bought as a vehicle 'cling' TB you should still have been supplied with both parts of the original TB tag. Cachers sometimes change their minds and decide they no longer want to have a car TB, they want to use the tracking number for a regular TB. In such cases they should be able to remove the 'cling' from the car and use the original metal tag, not the 'copy', for their new TB.

That's what I was going to say. When I bought a TB vehicle magnet I got both metal tags. I don't know why any retailer would leave one tag out just for the sake of it.

That's what I was going to say. When I bought a TB vehicle magnet I got both metal tags. I don't know why any retailer would leave one tag out just for the sake of it.

I bought TB stickers, punched vinyl trackable "Barcode Bug" signs. Each sticker came with just one tag, a "Copy Tag" with no Tracking Number on it, that had space to write the info.

So it depends on the TB store.

Edited by kunarion