Yellow banner alert

Pup Patrol

All community sites do this - I am the CM for a site that has about 1600 - 6000 users online at any given time - vs. the 200+ members online here right now - and we do scheduled maintenance in an overnight window that takes about the same amount of time. I don't understand why it's controversial here - all our community sites know and expect it and it's not associated with a conspiracy :)

If we had the resources of Google, maybe there would be redundancies we don't have...

All community sites do this - I am the CM for a site that has about 1600 - 6000 users online at any given time - vs. the 200+ members online here right now - and we do scheduled maintenance in an overnight window that takes about the same amount of time. I don't understand why it's controversial here - all our community sites know and expect it and it's not associated with a conspiracy :)

If we had the resources of Google, maybe there would be redundancies we don't have...

I'm sure it would not be controversial here if they did it during an overnight period also. Oh, wait a minute, 6pm frog time is overnight in London. Never mind, they did schedule it for a overnight period. My bad.

if the entire Groundspeak service is going down for maintenance then that would include the forums correct?

Hard to guess. Last week when the entire site was down, the forums were still up, however we didn't see any avatars because the image server was down. There may also be issues actually logging in to the forums if that machine can't access the user database :unsure:

The forums do not run on the production servers. Typically when the the production servers are down the forums continue to operate.

The announcement is a bit confusing. First is says all production servers then later it does say all Groundspeak web properties??? I expect that everything with geocaching.com in it's name will be down. Will this be true for Groundspeak.com?

Which controversy? There are two of them.

1. Why go down at all?

2. Why go down and come back without fixing all the bugs?

Personally, I'll swap four hours on a Tuesday night if it spares me from the slowdowns that we used to get on Sunday afternoons when the site would become completely unusable. Let's just hope that they remember to push the ON button on the image server, this time. :)

There was one change I noticed since the last software update. Its the way the API server handle the extra waypoints in the Long Description or Short Description. Of all the refresh update I been doing, it is removing the extra waypoints out. The extra waypoints are still on the cache pages when I checked on them. Its just not on the Long or Short description like it used to.

Anyone is noticing this as well? Or is this on my end of things?

I don't understand why it's controversial here...

Not so much controversial, but there are some annoyances that have occurred recently:

-A few downtimes ago, the alert banner wasn't put up until only a few hours before the site went down. Users were given very little warning that the site would be down for hours.

-Changes to the site are no longer listed in the Release Notes forum. To figure out what, if anything, has changed after an update, you'd have to go through every page and try every function on the site.

There was one change I noticed since the last software update. Its the way the API server handle the extra waypoints in the Long Description or Short Description. Of all the refresh update I been doing, it is removing the extra waypoints out. The extra waypoints are still on the cache pages when I checked on them. Its just not on the Long or Short description like it used to.

It's been this way from the beginning. The additional waypoints are in both, but it is also included as text in the description in a PQ or a GPX download from the cache page. It is not included in a api refresh. When you do a refresh it overwrites the description and you lose the text version of the waypoints. If you load a PQ or GPX, you get it back.

It's been this way from the beginning. The additional waypoints are in both, but it is also included as text in the description in a PQ or a GPX download from the cache page. It is not included in a api refresh. When you do a refresh it overwrites the description and you lose the text version of the waypoints. If you load a PQ or GPX, you get it back.

ty. so its on my end.

ty. so its on my end.

No, what you are experiencing is what everyone else is experiencing. And, it has been this way since the api was rolled out. Nothing has changed.

Dang I wasn't quite fast enough. I was posting 5 new caches. I got 4 finished and then right as I click 'submit' the site went down. :(

I wonder if any reviewers managed to publish cache just before the site went down, that new cache notifications went out and when a FTF hounds went to download the coordinates discovered that the site was down.

I've never actually checked but wonder how the mobile apps are impacted if the database that the desktop website uses is down.

Dang I wasn't quite fast enough. I was posting 5 new caches. I got 4 finished and then right as I click 'submit' the site went down. :(

I wonder if any reviewers managed to publish cache just before the site went down, that new cache notifications went out and when a FTF hounds went to download the coordinates discovered that the site was down.

I've never actually checked but wonder how the mobile apps are impacted if the database that the desktop website uses is down.

:laughing:

That would be funny.

Our reveiwer normally publishes caches about that time of an evening. None last night though.