Rain Gear

Be sure to look for rain wear that's made from breathable materials like Gore-Tex. Be prepared to spend more money for this type of gear.

I have not been impressed with Gore Tex. It might breathe enough when sitting in a deer stand, but if I'm hiking or otherwise breaking a sweat, I get as wet with Gore Tex as I would without it. I don't think there is a better alternative, unfortunately, but there are certainly cheaper options that are just as bad.

Be sure to look for rain wear that's made from breathable materials like Gore-Tex. Be prepared to spend more money for this type of gear.

I have not been impressed with Gore Tex. It might breathe enough when sitting in a deer stand, but if I'm hiking or otherwise breaking a sweat, I get as wet with Gore Tex as I would without it. I don't think there is a better alternative, unfortunately, but there are certainly cheaper options that are just as bad.

I have a Marmot PreCip jacket that has been pretty good to me. I got it on clearance at REI for $60 (normally $100 jacket). Backpacker Magazine rated it thebest $100 rain jacket.

I have a Marmot PreCip jacket that has been pretty good to me. I got it on clearance at REI for $60 (normally $100 jacket). Backpacker Magazine rated it thebest $100 rain jacket.

The particular rain jacket that I had in mind when I wrote that is a Marmot from REI.

The particular rain jacket that I had in mind when I wrote that is a Marmot from REI.

I side with KC here... The permeable membrane fabrics work to a degree, but it is often way less than needed. It has to be kept clean, which means not clogged with dirt, crystalized salt from perspiration and such. That means regular cleaning and maintenance.

For ME unless it comes with efficient venting built in as needed in regular rain gear, it isn't worth the money. And if you have the vents, the fabric isn't doing anything anyway. That does not mean that others have this experience. Liquid water stops the transfer of vapour as well. I'll take cheaper, well designed raingear anyday.

Doug 7rxc

If I go out when it might rain, a cheap (dollar store) rain poncho gets tossed into the bag I'm carrying.

If I'm out hiking, I'll opt for my nylon rain coat (also doubles as my spring/fall coat) and my heavier canvas zip away pants. The nylon pants that come with my rain suit doesn't breath enough for warmer weather. They are ok for temps below 30'F.

I just don't generally cache in the rain. It only takes a couple of drops or a damp finger to really start to soggy up the log.

Not really an option in the Great Pacific NorthWet - if you don't learn to cache* in the rain, you don't cache around here. I find that a small umbrella works well to keep log and cache box dry.

*insert any activity here...

I just don't generally cache in the rain. It only takes a couple of drops or a damp finger to really start to soggy up the log.

Not really an option in the Great Pacific NorthWet - if you don't learn to cache* in the rain, you don't cache around here. I find that a small umbrella works well to keep log and cache box dry.

That's not exactly true. There is a small one or two week window generally every August when there is this obnoxious orb in the sky and you might even consider wearing shorts.

That's not exactly true. There is a small one or two week window generally every August when there is this obnoxious orb in the sky and you might even consider wearing shorts.

They call that Wildfire Season, right?

Doug 7rxc

They call that Wildfire Season, right?

Doug 7rxc

Wildfire will work, but mostly the Fire Marshall's call it burn ban.

I'm not willing to restrict my caching to a two week window every year...

Edited by The Jester

Must buy raingear

Will have to read the replies. We have *tons* of rain here on Vancouver Island. During *winter* it rains approximately every 2nd day. I go caching in the rain all the time and would you believe I don't own a rain jacket? :rolleyes:

In my defense, I have a fleece-lined jacket which I wear which is thick enough to keep dry *inside* for light rain. Of course the zippers broken so I still get wet on my front. :rolleyes:

I went out the other day and except for my Gortex hiking boots, got soaked to the bone. Again. Didn't even think to wear my wide-brimmed Gortex hat.

Went out tonight to do cache maintenance *in the rain, of course* and got wet again, but did remember to at least wear my hat.

I have a little child's umbrella I bring along, but it's to protect the caches, not me. :unsure:

Edited by The_Incredibles_