GPX files and sorting

I'm really new to using an actual GPSr, I've only ever cached with my iPhone.

I've seen how to load GPX files onto my 450t, but is there a way to keep the files separate? For instance, there's a group of 19 caches that I need to find for a challenge. There is also a PQ that I want of the 100 closest caches to my house.

When I load both of these GPX files onto my 450t, I don't see where they are in folders. I tap on the Geocaching icon and all 119 caches are listed, there's no way of knowing which are from the challenge and which are closest to my home (there being only 1 cache that meets both critera).

Is this something that cannot be done? Have I just not RTFMed enough? I feel really stupid.

TIA!

Garmin does not provide a means of separating the caches into folders or some other way of categorizing the caches. It combines all loaded PQ's and separate caches into one list. It does, however, display by closest. So it will show the closest to home at the top of the list when your at home. As you move the list is reordered to keep the closest on top.

With a Delorme, you can create different file folders (by name) and they will be held separate. We do that all the time with 'piecemeal' Pocket Queries. You need simply to access the card menu then highlight and open that folder.

I wonder why one can't do that with a Garmin. It would make some things easier to do and/or keep track of.

I really don't know, 'cuz all we have used are Delorme, 'cept for a GPS12 which couldn't do anything along those lines whatsoever! :lol:

Diff'rnt strokes for diff'rnt manufactures, eh?

I've seen how to load GPX files onto my 450t, but is there a way to keep the files separate? For instance, there's a group of 19 caches that I need to find for a challenge. There is also a PQ that I want of the 100 closest caches to my house.

When I load both of these GPX files onto my 450t, I don't see where they are in folders. I tap on the Geocaching icon and all 119 caches are listed, there's no way of knowing which are from the challenge and which are closest to my home (there being only 1 cache that meets both critera).

Is this something that cannot be done? Have I just not RTFMed enough? I feel really stupid.

TIA!

Rikki, I share your frustration in wanting to have categories or groups on the handheld. We have Lists in BaseCamp that will do exactly that. But my Etrex 30 does not have any support for that. Until there's a firmware update that supports categories or Lists, we're just stuck with seeing them listed all together.

I have been using POIs instead of GPXs. All the POIs are visible on the map, but under waypoints/extras/ all the POI categories are as separate "folders" and sorted by distance.

I do not know of an easy way to convert GPX files into POIs (there might be). Maybe GSAK?

I have been using POIs instead of GPXs. All the POIs are visible on the map, but under waypoints/extras/ all the POI categories are as separate "folders" and sorted by distance.

I do not know of an easy way to convert GPX files into POIs (there might be). Maybe GSAK?

I thought (uh oh, memory may be not so good this morning) the Garmin POI Loader would allow the user to import GPX files as well as CSV for conversion to POI?

I thought (uh oh, memory may be not so good this morning) the Garmin POI Loader would allow the user to import GPX files as well as CSV for conversion to POI?

You memory serves you well. POI loader will take the output from GSAK and convert it to custom POIs. Prepare separate lists by type and repeat the POI load with different names and you will have separate databases. Also GSAK 8 (perhaps earlier versions?) will output directly to the POI format if you don't want to convert with the POI loader.

I just tested loading multiple POI databases on my eTrex 20. When selecting Where To they appear in the Extras tab. Select that and you will see the list of available databases. I did not try viewing on the map because the data sets I used were in different, and remote from me, areas.

I have experimented with loading Geocaches on my Oregon 550T as custom POI's using the GSAK macro intended for generating GPX files for the Garmin nuvi. This method does support separate files as categories as noted in the previous posts, and gives you all the cache descriptive info including hint and logs when selecting the cache from Where To > Extras. But I can't see any way to enable the Field Notes function on the Oregon when navigating to a cache with this method.

I have experimented with loading Geocaches on my Oregon 550T as custom POI's using the GSAK macro intended for generating GPX files for the Garmin nuvi. This method does support separate files as categories as noted in the previous posts, and gives you all the cache descriptive info including hint and logs when selecting the cache from Where To > Extras. But I can't see any way to enable the Field Notes function on the Oregon when navigating to a cache with this method.

That is correct. Field notes is a geocache feature. There is a basic choice that needs to be made.

Garmin's POILoader will load GPX and CSV files into the device and they all show up as Waypoints in 'Extras'. It won't show them or treat them as Geocaches.

Actually, there sort of is a way to do this. I just started fooling around a little with 'Garmin Adventures'. As a trial, I saved a particular park's group of geocaches to an Adventure file in BaseCamp and it worked. Each "Adventure" is a separate group of caches. It's a little clunky and each Adventure requires a track file. By default it wants to follow the track file but it's easy to select View Content and then just select each cache one at a time if I want to. It's a lot of fiddling just to get a sorted category, though.

TIA!