How do you solve a Knot cipher

Fishheadjr

Does anybody have any idea how to solve a knot cipher? I'm working on a puzzle cache which I believe is a knot cipher. I don't want someone to solve it for me. I just want to know where to begin. Anybody? You can reach me at mvalentine6705@gmail.com.

Thanks.

Edited by Fishheadjr

Does anybody have any idea how to solve a knot cipher? I'm working on a puzzle cache which I believe is a knot cipher. The cache is GCXXXX, I don't want someone to solve it for me. I just want to know where to begin. Anybody? You can reach me at mvalentine6705@gmail.com.

Thanks.

First of all, while what you are asking is ok, do not post the GC number. Google is your friend. also as a hint try Purplehell.com if it's up and running.

Edit After viewing the cache and checking out the knot cypher it appears to me that you are not correct in guessing the type of code. But then again I could be wrong.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Does anybody have any idea how to solve a knot cipher? I'm working on a puzzle cache which I believe is a knot cipher. I don't want someone to solve it for me. I just want to know where to begin. Anybody? You can reach me at mvalentine6705@gmail.com.

Thanks.

Often, figuring out how to solve the puzzle is the biggest part of the puzzle.

The problem with "helping" on a public forum is that it is now a searchable solution.

Two things already mentioned are your best bets:

1.) Google

2.) Ask the cache owner for a hint. He/she may not give you one, but at least you asked.

Some other ideas:

3.) Let it go for a while. Maybe once you give trying to solve it a rest, and think about other things, the solution will jump out at you.

4.) See if other folks in your area are also working on solving some of the local puzzles. Helping each other privately is a common method. What might be stumping someone else will be an easy solve for you, and vice versa.

5.) Still no solution? Move onto other caches and don't worry about it.

B.

According to section 4 of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] (m) Publish, on any Groundspeak owned web property, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner." However, here are some general puzzle tips that I've posted before (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online. (You'll need to register on the GBA site to view these forum threads.)

Overview: Venona's 2011 ACTIVITIES

Overview: Venona's 2012 ACTIVITIES

Last I checked the OP hadn't posted the GC number. You people are humorous..

Edit.. I see it was edited out. You people are still humorous though.. :)

I think "you people" should go easy on the forum newbie.

There is nothing that's "not going easy" or mean or harsh in ANY post. I had mentioned not to post the GC number(which the OP removed right away) and offered 2 websites that may help. There was ONLY advice given here, and nothing near as harsh as what usually happens when someone says 'Solve the puzzle on GCXXXX for me."

I can understand niraD's post appearing mean or condescending but I'm sure I've seen it before. One of the many Copy/paste replies that will cover anything the question is asking about a certain subject-in this case solving puzzles. Nothing wrong with that as it seems the same topics are rotated over and over again. How do you solve puzzles. How do you create virtuals(you can't) how long does it take to get a cache published, a cache was blown up by the bomb squad, etc. All will always have the same replies, some people just get straight to the point and post what they need.

What's a Knot cipher?

What's not a cipher?

This puzzle? Maybe...

I didn't see the GC# but I assumed he was talking about my cache. My question was his answer.

My cache has been out 4 months without a FTF.

Geochecker:

"There have been 258 visits to this hash, including this visit; of those who attempted a solution, 0 had the right coordinates, and 123 had the wrong coordinates. A solution was last attempted on 2012-10-01."

Edited by Downy288

According to section 4 of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] (m) Publish, on any Groundspeak owned web property, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner." However, here are some general puzzle tips that I've posted before (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online. (You'll need to register on the GBA site to view these forum threads.)

Overview: Venona's 2011 ACTIVITIES

Overview: Venona's 2012 ACTIVITIES

Have you solved some of mine yet?