Profile generator for Mac

Lacey1961

Ok, I'm sure this has already been asked (So why are you asking again, Lacey?), but I went through the topic listing and didn't see it (maybe I missed it).

What is a good profile generator for a Mac? I used mygeocachingprofile.com, but I don't like that it relies on my finds PQ, which means my info tends to be out of date.

Thanks!

Just so you get the correct information... you are referring to a statistics generator that can output HTML code to add to your profile page. You do realize that there is already a system generated stats page on your profile, don't you?

Yes, that is what I was referring to. Kinda thought the reference to My Finds PQ and mygeocachingprofile.com would indicate that. And yes, I am aware of the system generated stats page.

There is an online service called mygeocachignprofile.com. You upload your MyFinds pq, and it will give you HTML code to past into your profile. Each time you update your MyFinds pq, it will auto update the images that HTML references, so you don't need to change your profile each time. It was bought out by Groundspeak a year or so ago, so it have full support form them.

Edit: Woops, I see you already know about that. Anyway, that is what I use, GSAK seems too complicated for me. Does that make me a technopeasant?

Edited by Andronicus

Just so you get the correct information... you are referring to a statistics generator that can output HTML code to add to your profile page. You do realize that there is already a system generated stats page on your profile, don't you?

Not always true.

As for a stats program, I seem to recall there is a GCStatitic or something like that. Can not comment about how good it is since I am running an operating system from the dark side.

GCStatistic has both a Mac and PC version. You see it more often in German profiles, because the developer is from Germany, but there is an English version as well. It's based on GSAK's FindStatGen macro but has some individual tweaks, like the ability to calculate stats based off changes in home location (which is why I like it, as we've moved twice since we started caching and will continue to do so).

The GCStatistic English site is here.

GCStatistic has both a Mac and PC version. You see it more often in German profiles, because the developer is from Germany, but there is an English version as well. It's based on GSAK's FindStatGen macro but has some individual tweaks, like the ability to calculate stats based off changes in home location (which is why I like it, as we've moved twice since we started caching and will continue to do so).

The one I found didn't mention PC's. Wonder if it is the same software.

As for a stats program, I seem to recall there is a GCStatitic or something like that. Can not comment about how good it is since I am running an operating system from the dark side.

Thank you for the helpful suggestion. :) I just used GCStatistic and I didn't really like the look of the output. I like the looks of mygeocachingprofile, but not the reliance on the PQ, which can only be generated every 3 days.

I just want something that provides more detail than the system generated stats. I'm no programmer, so I'm not about to try to write one. :blink:

Yep, it's the same one. I tried it, didn't like the looks of the output, and deleted it from my profile.

I don't have a Mac, I use GCStatistic on my PC. So, yep, same program. The link I used was to the programmer's website, which has both versions.

Thank you for the helpful suggestion. :) I just used GCStatistic and I didn't really like the look of the output. I like the looks of mygeocachingprofile, but not the reliance on the PQ, which can only be generated every 3 days.

I just want something that provides more detail than the system generated stats. I'm no programmer, so I'm not about to try to write one. :blink:

Someone posted a list of the functions available with the Geocaching API awhile back and I forgot if it would provide the functionality to produce "real time" data need to produce all the stats you'd want. I *am* a programmer and have considered building an enhanced geocaching stats application using the API that would included some of the stats that are not available with the built in with the "official" stats pages. The problem that I see with something like this is embedding the stats information generated by an external app or web site. Since we can't include EMBED tags in a public profile page the app or web pages would have to be launched to produce some HTML that could be cut-n-pasted on the page but ideally, it would be nice to have the stats generated in real time.

Someone posted a list of the functions available with the Geocaching API awhile back and I forgot if it would provide the functionality to produce "real time" data need to produce all the stats you'd want. I *am* a programmer and have considered building an enhanced geocaching stats application using the API that would included some of the stats that are not available with the built in with the "official" stats pages. The problem that I see with something like this is embedding the stats information generated by an external app or web site. Since we can't include EMBED tags in a public profile page the app or web pages would have to be launched to produce some HTML that could be cut-n-pasted on the page but ideally, it would be nice to have the stats generated in real time.

I like the functionality of mygeocachingprofile. I like the looks of the output, but having stats 1 to 3 days outdated is annoying. I took it off my profile because of that. I guess I'll just use the system generated stats until I find something better. :sad::angry:

The FindStatGen macro can track changes to you home location.

Cool. I did not realize it had been updated. I'll have to tinker with it. In the settings menu somewhere?

Cool. I did not realize it had been updated. I'll have to tinker with it. In the settings menu somewhere?

Right side of main options screen. Look for a button labeled "Home". It allows you add new home coordinates and the date that they changed. You can add a list if you move often. All of the distance and direction stats are computed against the home coordinates in effect on the date that you found each cache.

That's because you were looking on a Mac software site. Why would they bother mentioning that there's a Windows or Linux version?

Yep, it's the same one. I tried it, didn't like the looks of the output, and deleted it from my profile.

The program does let you tweak the appearance of its output.