Other Geocachers?

Mah na mah nas

Hello, we are knew to geocaching. It's such a fun thing to do but we wish we knew others who did geocaching. How do you find fellow geocachers in nearby areas? We think it would be fun to get to know and make friends with others who enjoy geocaching. Is there a special place in the forums for this and I am just missing it? Or is geocaching supposed to be a "solitary" adventure?

You can look up the names of the people who placed nearby caches. Since placing caches requires regular maintenance, chances are these people live nearby too.

You can also check your local area for events where loads of cachers will come together.

Finally, there are forums for almost every country or region in the world. Go to http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=idx and scroll down until you see "Geocaching Groups by Region / State" for the different US States and "Geocaching Groups by Country" for the rest of the world.

1) Attend local events, especially meet-n-greets.

2) If you're on Facebook, there is probably a group there for whatever region you live in. For example, Florida has Facebook groups for South Florida, Space Coast, Central Florida, NE Florida, and probably at least one for the panhandle area.

3) Randomly run into other cachers while caching.

...and here's how to find upcoming events:

Go to this page: http://www.geocaching.com/my/

and click the link partway down the right side that says List newest in [your area]. Events are shown first.

Not all events are, or can be, published as an event cache. In my area a local cacher has been holding a Hike of the Month for a couple years now. Keep an eye on your regional forum for gems like this.