Archiving one of my own hides

ll JK ll

Long story short, I recently found out one of my hides is in part of a local trail system that the land manager doesn't want people hiking in. I made the mistake of assuming permission was granted because there are a handful of caches already out there.

Now that I know we actually do not have the okay I'm going to archive the listing and redo the hide somewhere else. I have no problem with this, I want to comply with the rules.

When I archive this listing the reviewer will probably take action against the other caches there right? Even though I and the others who have hid caches there are in the wrong I don't want to create conflict with two very active cachers in my area. I can imagine some people would be upset if their caches were archived regardless of them being against policy.

Have any of you been in a similar situation? Do you think I should give them a heads up (I'll be seeing them at a CITO event tomorrow) or just go forward and let the reviewer do what he/she deems necessary?

Long story short, I recently found out one of my hides is in part of a local trail system that the land manager doesn't want people hiking in. I made the mistake of assuming permission was granted because there are a handful of caches already out there.

Now that I know we actually do not have the okay I'm going to archive the listing and redo the hide somewhere else. I have no problem with this, I want to comply with the rules.

When I archive this listing the reviewer will probably take action against the other caches there right? Even though I and the others who have hid caches there are in the wrong I don't want to create conflict with two very active cachers in my area. I can imagine some people would be upset if their caches were archived regardless of them being against policy.

Have any of you been in a similar situation? Do you think I should give them a heads up (I'll be seeing them at a CITO event tomorrow) or just go forward and let the reviewer do what he/she deems necessary?

You could just drop the reviewer an email, explaining the situation. Archive your cache (explaining why in the archive log), and let the reviewer discuss things with the other cache owners.

If the land owners don't want caches on their property, that's not your fault.

The reviewer doesn't sit by and watch caches. They operate (partly) on what they have been informed by the hider. They (the other CO's) also probably "assumed" permission was granted. You know (I'm sure that you do) -- never assume anything. Now that you know, you may (or may not -- your choice) inform the reviewer and/or the other cache owners of what you have learned.

Your archival has no direct affect on other caches.

Hey, mistakes happen. Live and learn.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee
When I archive this listing the reviewer will probably take action against the other caches there right?

You can just archive your cache. It's a log type available to cache owners.

Doing this isn't going to send a message to any person who isn't watching the listing, so unless the reviewer is watching the listing, the reviewer won't know anything about your cache being archived, or why.

If you want the reviewer to take action against the other caches email the reviewer, identify the property, and explain what you know about the geocaching policy. It helps if you provide the real name of the person with the authority who told you no caches, or no access. Or, if the information is available on a webpage, a link to that page.

I'd certainly tell other cache owners in the area that you've discovered that the land manager doesn't want caches there, and that you've archived your cache.

How confident of this information are you? be prepared to produce real contact information, and to have people question your information or assumptions.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The trail system is managed by a local university and while exploring their site I found a general email address that covers their outdoor activities. An unidentified person replied and told me one section of the trails is cool, the other section is off limits. So, I don't have a name to fall back on for proof, just a copy of the email.

They (the other CO's) also probably "assumed" permission was granted. You know (I'm sure that you do) -- never assume anything.
That's the truth. Trust me, I won't make the same mistake twice.

The way I look at it, I want people respecting my property so I should return the favor. Even though I can hike there for miles undetected and we can play the game there without anyone knowing it doesn't feel right without permission.

an archive notice will go to other cachers....I get archive and temp and enable notices on all caches within 15 miles myself in my area.

Really? I have notifications, but have NEVER received an archival notification, only published notifications.

Learn me please, I would like to know. :)

its just under notifications...Here is mine, for traditionals....

Log type(s): Archive, Needs Archived, Unarchive, Publish Listing, Retract Listing, Temporarily Disable Listing, Enable Listing, Update Coordinates, Needs Maintenance

The same notifications you get for new ones, just check the box for archive, or whatever.

an archive notice will go to other cachers....I get archive and temp and enable notices on all caches within 15 miles myself in my area.

Really? I have notifications, but have NEVER received an archival notification, only published notifications.

Learn me please, I would like to know. :)

You have to subscribe to them, but the option is there. I get them.

Log type(s): Archive, Needs Archived, Unarchive, Publish Listing, Retract Listing, Temporarily Disable Listing, Enable Listing, Update Coordinates, Needs Maintenance

The same notifications you get for new ones, just check the box for archive, or whatever.

I don't think there are very many cachers that subscribe to archive notifications. I only know of myself and a couple of other local cachers that do.

I don't think there are very many cachers that subscribe to archive notifications. I only know of myself and a couple of other local cachers that do.

I like to know especially if I plan a trip locally and see I don't have to waste my time to go to if it is now gone.

I would give the other cachers a heads-up in person. Then they can decide what to do.

As for the reviewer, unless they happen to read your archive log or you email them personally, they won't know.

I am one of those than subscribes to archive logs. Helps to know if any spots are being freed up.

I think this is the main reason most folks have it. Most of the experienced cachers in my area have this notification and if its in a nice park, someone will invariably rush to go claim it or do the create a placeholder listing before the next chap has even got into the car. They probably do not have all the other weird ones I do, but archive notification is pretty common amongst folks I cache with.

Edited by lamoracke

I would give the other cachers a heads-up in person. Then they can decide what to do.

As for the reviewer, unless they happen to read your archive log or you email them personally, they won't know.

I am one of those than subscribes to archive logs. Helps to know if any spots are being freed up.

I think this is the main reason most folks have it. Most of the experienced cachers in my area have this notification and if its in a nice park, someone will invariably rush to go claim it or do the create a placeholder listing before the next chap has even got into the car. They probably do not have all the other weird ones I do, but archive notification is pretty common amongst folks I cache with.

If you have experience you probably know the other hiders and can discuss it with them. The other person with experience is your reviewer.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that you can put as much, or as little information as you like in your archive log. It can be as simple as a single dot. You do not have to give a full explanation of why you are archiving your cache. If you think that giving a full explanation will cause some sort of fallout with other local cachers, just omit it. Just write something like, "looking for a better spot".

A few people around here just post "Archived" and nothing more.

I retrieved the cache today and am in the process of looking for a new hiding spot. I talked with the other cachers at the CITO event today and will let them decide how they'd like to move forward with their own hides. They were cool about it and understood my concerns.

Thanks again for the input everyone :smile:

I retrieved the cache today and am in the process of looking for a new hiding spot. I talked with the other cachers at the CITO event today and will let them decide how they'd like to move forward with their own hides. They were cool about it and understood my concerns.

Thanks again for the input everyone :smile:

That's the best you could do.