Create Cache anonomously

TurnerTech

I want to create three virtual caches where each cache has clues to the location of the next virtual cache.

I need to avoid cachers finding the location of the following cache by just listing the caches hidden by my user name.

So how do I create caches without them being linked to my User name?

I want to create three virtual caches where each cache has clues to the location of the next virtual cache.

I need to avoid cachers finding the location of the following cache by just listing the caches hidden by my user name.

A.) You can't create new virtual caches, and haven't been able to do so for a number of years.

B.) Perhaps you mean "puzzle" caches?

Reading over the Guidelines might be a first step, before creating new caches:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11

C.) You would need to create a new account to stay anonymous. If you merely put a fake name in the cache owner field, the caches would still be associated to your account.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

You can't create any new virtual caches. They are not allowed anymore.

But to create caches not linked to your User name, you create a new user name just for these caches.

You can't create any new virtual caches. They are not allowed anymore.

But to create caches not linked to your User name, you create a new user name just for these caches.

To Pup Patrol and NanCycle, thanks for your quick reply.

I was using the term "Virtual" as a shortcut.

I tried creating an additional User name but that also requires me to create a new Email address. The whole thing is getting out of hand. :-(

It would be useful to have a feature where you have the option to mark a cache to be excluded from the "list of caches hidden by this user".

I was using the term "Virtual" as a shortcut. OK, but confusion was created because the term "Virtual" has a real meaing in geocaching.

I tried creating an additional User name but that also requires me to create a new Email address. The whole thing is getting out of hand. :-( Yes, that is required now--didn't used to be.

It would be useful to have a feature where you have the option to mark a cache to be excluded from the "list of caches hidden by this user". That's a matter of opinion; I disagree.

I was using the term "Virtual" as a shortcut.

I tried creating an additional User name but that also requires me to create a new Email address. The whole thing is getting out of hand. :-(

Creating a new hotmail address should only take a few moments.

It would be useful to have a feature where you have the option to mark a cache to be excluded from the "list of caches hidden by this user".

Seems like a lot of work to save a few people from setting up a new hotmail address.

You could either create a single Puzzle cache with multiple stages or create the 2nd and 3rd caches as puzzle caches where part of the puzzle is to solve find the previous cache in the chain. Puzzle caches have two sets of coordinates - the real ones which only the reviewers see, and one which you specify, which can be anywhere (but typically would be with in a few miles of ground zero)

You could either create a single Puzzle cache with multiple stages or create the 2nd and 3rd caches as puzzle caches where part of the puzzle is to solve find the previous cache in the chain. Puzzle caches have two sets of coordinates - the real ones which only the reviewers see, and one which you specify, which can be anywhere (but typically would be with in a few miles of ground zero)

I have been told by a reviewer that linked caches of this type are no longer permitted. The reason given is that if one cache goes 'down' then the series breaks.

I'm confused as to what you are really trying to do here.

As has been said, you can create puzzle caches with a hidden location, so cachers will not be able to find your caches from the webpage without either solving a puzzle, or finding a previous cache. I don't understand why having the caches listed against your name is a problem :huh:

Althernatively, if you made all the caches stages in a multicache, then there is only one listing published, and you could let each cache contain the coords for the next. Would this meet your needs?

Chris

I too cannot quite see what you want to achieve. Perhaps it is simply a 'multicache' with 'physical' containers at each Stage conbtaining the coordinates for the next. This is certainly allowed. Why not visit a few more multicaches and multistage puzzle caches then you will get an idea what is possible?.

It can be useful to check out your idea by emailing your local voluntary Reviewer. In my experience they are happy to offer alternative suggestions if what you propose is not possible.

I assume the problem is that finding cache A is required before you can even identify cache B. My guess is the CO doesn't want people to be able to follow the owner link for cache A to his list of caches through which they can figure out which cache is cache B. Or vice versa. I'm not quite sure what the point would be, and I certainly don't know if it's allowed, but I do recall once seeing a puzzle cache out in the Pacific that was placed there specifically to make it hard to find, and it was linked to a vacuous user account for the same reason.

I have been told by a reviewer that linked caches of this type are no longer permitted. The reason given is that if one cache goes 'down' then the series breaks.

Is this another new 'guideline' that only just been introduced? I had a set of 6 caches published in April that did exactly that!

Is this another new 'guideline' that only just been introduced? I had a set of 6 caches published in April that did exactly that!

I've never heard of it either. And surely it's up to the cache owner whether a cache is findable?

I've made mystery caches where you need to find two travel bugs to get the location of the cache. On the face of it, if the travel bugs disappear or become unavailable you can't find the cache; but I designed it so that isn't the case. The point I'm making is, why would the reviewer need to be concerned about the finer points of cache design?