Malware Alert from GeoCaching.Com page

BellHousehold

It is possible to insert a link on a cache listing that is not actually on the geocaching.com website, images for example.

Most really dangerous stuff isn't allowed (I don't think you can embed java code for example) but ANY reference to a known-to-be-dangerous domain name will get stopped by what looks like Google Chrome.

EDIT to add: I downloaded as text the source of the cache page and it definitely references images hosted on the enigmachaching site. One is a JPG which should have been uploaded to the page's gallery but the other is a GIF file which isn't uploadable to geocaching.com and which might be an animation which is relevant to solving the mystery.

Edited by BoredRoom
when I click on it I am warned by Chrome about Malware.

I don't see that warning on my PC. The cache page links to an image that is hosted on a "site known to distribute malware", but the site is down (at the moment), so the image is broken.

It's best to use images hosted on Geocaching.com, on cache pages. The Cache Owner should upload the image to the cache page, then use that URL to display it. Then it's not subject to problems from another web site. This is very important if an image in a cache description is a puzzle or clue to the find.

The missing image might be something like this:

uliyt.jpg

Edited by kunarion

It was almost certainly the link to enigmacaching.org.uk causing the alert, from the google safe browsing site

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 5 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-09-04, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-06-25.

(my bold)

So looks like google scanned it and found something dodgy back in June, but it wasn't there when they looked today, so probably OK now.

It was almost certainly the link to enigmacaching.org.uk causing the alert, from the google safe browsing site

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 5 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 1 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-09-04, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-06-25.

(my bold)

So looks like google scanned it and found something dodgy back in June, but it wasn't there when they looked today, so probably OK now.

Just a note.

I can now access this page without the warning and there is a dead img link sat in the middle of the page.