piczo

hello all im new to geocaching . (glengormley area ) Love the outdoors i also kayak and camp a lot i see some geocaches can be accesed by water. Some questions though im interested in leaving caches down as i do get to some pretty places on walks just not sure how to even new to gps was first bought to find wrecks while fishing from kayak. Does the forum have meets always good to meet new people . thanks piczo ...

Hello piczo

As Braytography has pointed out, there are Geocache listing and Guideline requirements which must be followed to have a geocache listed on this site. Caches are checked for compliance with these requirements before being published (or not!) by voluntary cache reviewers.

When you've found a few caches and you understand more about how the game works and the rules behind it you'll be in a good position to set interesting and varied caches. Many cachers enjoy caches only accessible by water.

You may also be interested in the Geocaching Ireland forum.

MrsB

My family speak english, Scot english, and it is very different!

There's nae feel like an aul feel an ye'd ken a aboot that!

Like I said, local variations in the words used, but the same sentence structure and punctuation rules.

And not an excuse to be rude.

Even though I agree with Braytography that the OP is painful to read, I also agree that coming down on them for it isn't the way to introduce a new member.

To piczo: Welcome! I just did a search for events in your area, and it looks like there's one coming up on September 6 in Armagh. I'm not sure how close you are to this, but if you can make it, it would be a great way to meet other cachers.

hello all im new to geocaching . (glengormley area ) Love the outdoors i also kayak and camp a lot i see some geocaches can be accesed by water. Some questions though im interested in leaving caches down as i do get to some pretty places on walks just not sure how to even new to gps was first bought to find wrecks while fishing from kayak. Does the forum have meets always good to meet new people . thanks piczo ...

Hi piczo,I think your best bet is to keep an eye on the Belfast area. There was an event there in June and August. My guess is you will find one there in the near future.

Just noticed the one A Team found, have a go, you may find you like it!

Edited by HarlansHollowFarms

Please, for the sake of other forum users, use proper Grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Please, for the sake of other forum users, especially new ones like me, be more kind and tactful with your responses. If I receive a response like that when I post a question, I don't think I'll post very many...

Please, for the sake of other forum users, use proper Grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

But as i begin to understand what your asking...

In order to hide a cache you must follow some simple rules AND get permission form the land owner. It is not always a simple task, and many take great pride over there caches, because it CAN take a while to set up... what I'm trying to say, is if you hide a cache, please take the time to do it right. So I would say NO you can not just drop caches as you go.

Te other questions are best answered by someone more experienced.

Pot, meet kettle....

But as i begin to understand what your asking...

In order to hide a cache you must follow some simple rules AND get permission form the land owner. It is not always a simple task, and many take great pride over there caches, because it CAN take a while to set up... what I'm trying to say, is if you hide a cache, please take the time to do it right. So I would say NO you can not just drop caches as you go.

Te other questions are best answered by someone more experienced.

Pot, meet kettle....

A couple of others...

I can't add more than the people who did respond to the actual question, other than to bid piczo a warm welcome from across the Irish Sea.

Wow, kind of rude don't you think? I would say proper grammar, spelling and some punctuation is vastly different in Ireland then here in the US. What are we now the grammar police!

Ah have t'agree wif Braytography on this hyar one eff'n yo' hoof it a fo'um an' ax a quesshun yo' need t'be unnerstood by them usin' th' fo'um eff'n yer hankerin' an answer t'yer quesshun th' harder yo' make it fo' yer targit audience t'unnerstan' yo' th' less he'p yer a-gonna git like it o' not thet is jest how it is unnerstan'?

Wow, kind of rude don't you think? I would say proper grammar, spelling and some punctuation is vastly different in Ireland then here in the US. What are we now the grammar police!

I don't find this rude at all. Questions that are all run together without any punctuation are just too hard to read and understand. If the writer can't make the effort to be clear and understandable, I'm not going to make the effort to try to decipher and understand their questions. So yes, for the sake of the readers who are going to try to answer your questions, PLEASE! try to make them understandable. (We are not asking for perfection, just clarity.)

Hi and welcome! I'm sorry you didn't get the friendliest response off the bat. I'm new here too. :) I just use the Iphone app and it's fantastic. For puzzle caches, etc. if you have an Iphone you may want to get an app called Perfect Mark.

It's amazing how much easier it gets after you find a few and get used to what you're looking for.

I'm not brave enough for a kayak - but I bet that would be loads of fun. :)

See you around!

Oh and there are meets and local groups - they are listed regionally in the forum.

Hiya Piczo,

You might like to keep an eye on the UK/Ireland board, as this is where any events will be announced first on these forums.

With regard to placing caches - as others have already suggested, you really need to find a few dozen, to know what makes a good hiding place, before even considering putting your own down. I haven't placed any yet (but have one or two ideas :) ).

One consideration of a 'good' hiding place, is whether it will work throughout the year, given that plants grow and die back according to the seasons. Unless your local cache reviewer knows the places you have placed the caches, he/she will be placing a lot of faith in your judgement.

Edited by and1969

Hiya Piczo,

You might like to keep an eye on the UK/Ireland board, as this is where any events will be announced first on these forums.

With regard to placing caches - as others have already suggested, you really need to find a few dozen, to know what makes a good hiding place, before even considering putting your own down. I haven't placed any yet (but have one or two ideas :) ).

One consideration of a 'good' hiding place, is whether it will work throughout the year, given that plants grow and die back according to the seasons. Unless your local cache reviewer knows the places you have placed the caches, he/she will be placing a lot of faith in your judgement.

Thanks guys and gals i assumed my grammer was fine and the 2nr reply was very off putting i use a lot off forums never had a relpy likethta one. Anyway thanks for the normal replys and yes i will continue to use the site ..