Have you ever seen this?

rooscraig

I am planning to place a Cache and am looking to see if somebody found one simulair like mine!

My idea is to hide a container with lots of swag inside. One of wich will house the logroll. You can't see the difference in size between the swag items and the (thing) is closable in a good way. Did anybody found a cache like mine?

I am planning to place a Cache and am looking to see if somebody found one simulair like mine!

My idea is to hide a container with lots of swag inside. One of wich will house the logroll. You can't see the difference in size between the swag items and the (thing) is closable in a good way. Did anybody found a cache like mine?

Yes, I have come across this idea, but do not like it at all. First, it can easily happen that someone takes away the log sheet without any bad intent because he/she trades out the item containing the logbook and trades in something else. Second, it is already sufficient for me to have to search the cache container - I do not want to be confronted with a second level of searching for the logbook. Third, with such caches it happens quite often that people add a new log sheet as they think that the old is gone.

Unless I'm missing something... Every large cache I have found with swapables has been exactly like that.

Really? The log sheet has been placed inside one of the swag items and you had to search for the log sheet?

I have seen such caches, but they are not standard around here.

Edited by cezanne

Maybe I'm not understanding your idea.

Sounds like a regular cache with a micro log strip?

The cache is a plastic pot in wich lots of swag items sit. One of these items has the logroll inside it. So for those that find the container think indeed that there is no logroll. There will be an hint given ofcourse.

The cache is a plastic pot in wich lots of swag items sit. One of these items has the logroll inside it. So for those that find the container think indeed that there is no logroll. There will be an hint given ofcourse.

Even if you provide a hint, it is quite likely that additional log sheets will be added and NM logs will be written as many cachers search for traditionals just on the basis of coordinates and do not have the cache description and hints available. As I have mentioned before you also take the risk that your logbook container is removed from the cache.

Unless I'm missing something... Every large cache I have found with swapables has been exactly like that.

Really? The log sheet has been placed inside one of the swag items and you had to search for the log sheet?

I have seen such caches, but they are not standard around here.

ooooooh... I understand now. Makes sense. In that case I have only seen one of those.

Even if you provide a hint, it is quite likely that additional log sheets will be added and NM logs will be written as many cachers search for traditionals just on the basis of coordinates and do not have the cache description and hints available. As I have mentioned before you also take the risk that your logbook container is removed from the cache.

Cesanne,

I realy like your help. In the Netherlands we do not place missing logrolls ourselfs and it is more common the hide the logroll. I will be expecting missing logsheets logs. I don't wan't to make thing's easy and am planning to state no logroll not to take anything out.

I do understand you not liking these kind of cache's but the difficult one's over here get goog rate's.

Thank you for you help

Sounds like a puzzle cache, not a traditional. It is going to be a problem for all the reasons pointed out. Finders are going to add log sheets and then what? Are you going to delete their finds?

I don't want to delete any finds but will state not to put any logsheet in the cache.

These tips come in handy.

Thank's

In the Netherlands we do not place missing logrolls ourselfs

Are you sure that this is true for the Netherlands in general?

You will know better than me of course, but I would be very surprised if all cachers who do not find the log sheet call it a day and refrain from logging found it logs.

The situation might change if the cachers realize that finding the log sheet is part of the challenge, but this often is not the case and then what I described previously happens quite easily. If you label the cache as mystery, you will be better off than with the traditional label as for traditionals you need to expect that about 50% of the visitors do not read the description.

Cezanne

In the Netherlands we do not place missing logrolls ourselfs

Are you sure that this is true for the Netherlands in general?

You will know better than me of course, but I would be very surprised if all cachers who do not find the log sheet call it a day and refrain from logging found it logs.

The situation might change if the cachers realize that finding the log sheet is part of the challenge, but this often is not the case and then what I described previously happens quite easily. If you label the cache as mystery, you will be better off than with the traditional label as for traditionals you need to expect that about 50% of the visitors do not read the description.

Cezanne

That sounds a good plan i will make at a mystery. And will state in a form the finding of the logsheet is the difficult part.

Maybe i will put in a wee note stating to find the logsheet. Then even for those not reading the description will read it on the spot.

Yeah, definitely make it an unknown cache type. I often don't read the description thoroughly, so 9 times out of 10, if I ran into something like that in the field, I'd have no idea that the log wasn't just missing and would have added one. In fact, now I'm wondering if I've run into one of these and just didn't realize it. If it's an unknown, I have to read the description before I even find the cache.

Personally, I wouldn't much like such a ploy, but if you do do something like this, I suggest putting something in the cache that that explicitly states that the log book is hidden in the cache and needs to be discovered. Perhaps something that looks like a log book but is unsignable and is labeled as a decoy log book.

I've seen one like that -- it was actually kinda cute, because it went with the theme of the cache. Just be sure to note it on the cache page that they will have to find the log as part of the challenge of the cache, and not to trade out the swag items. Also labeling in the field will help, and possibly in the hint as well, to cover all the bases.

I think it is okay as long as it doesn't get overdone.

I've found a cache where finding the log was part of the challenge. One thing the CO did that I think helped a lot is that he explained that you had to sign the yellow log sheet before you could log it online. That made it clear that there was a specific log sheet you were looking for, plus the color cuts down on "replacement" log sheets being left by people who think there is no log.

it is called a trick cache

they are very common,

I found a few, the best one was the log was INSIDE a ball pen, and there was no log but just swag in the larger box,

the cache page had a very clear text :

DO NOT PUT IN A LOG SHEET OF YOUR OWN..

IF YOU DID NOT FIND A LOG BOOK AND SIGNED IT, YOU DID NOT FINDE THE CACHE..

inside the large box was another hint :

this is not the cache, but you are very near it, keep looking..

-------

in one of my own,

I tried to put a log roll inside a film canister inside an ammo box full of swag

after a few weeks I found 4 throw down logs books inside the ammo,

so people just dont look that well after things,

when they see a box, their sharp mind of seek stuff is turned off :-)

you can trick any one if you like..

but be sure to put a warning on your cache page

in one of my own,

I tried to put a log roll inside a film canister inside an ammo box full of swag

after a few weeks I found 4 throw down logs books inside the ammo,

so people just dont look that well after things,

when they see a box, their sharp mind of seek stuff is turned off :-)

If the cache is a traditional or if the cache description does not mention that one needs to search

for the log book, why should anyone assume that an ammo box is hidden, but the log book is hidden in a film can or

some trading item? Do you really look through the swag? I never do as swag is annoying for me and my only intention when

having found a cache is to sign quickly and rehide the cache and leave in order to reduce the chance to be seen.

I have cached for many years (and in several countries) before encountering for the first time a cache where the log sheet is hidden.

It would not have ever occured to me before that anyone would want to come up with such a construction.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

We once had a cache called INVISIBLE http://coord.info/GC1MGBA

We said

THIS IS AN INVISIBLE CACHE. CONTAINS NO PENCIL. SIGN LOG.

LEAVE NOTHING IN THE INVISIBLE CACHE.

The cache wasnt actually invisible but was hard to spot and appeared to have nothing in it, so you had to find the log in order to sign it.

The first person to go for it didn't see the cache so thought it was a trick and signed a nearby Birch Log

Everything went well for a while then we got the following logs

**Found it and signed the invisible log with my invisible ink pen... TFTC

**We all found the invisible cache, left our invisible little sticker and had a lot of fun finding the cache. Neat container.

**Nice invisible cache, really invisible, sign the log invisiblely......TFTF.

**Found the invisable cache, stamped the invisable log with my invisable stamp ink, and left an invisable geocoin. Thanks for the invisable cache!

I did not delete any of those logs but I checked the log sheet and none of those individuals had signed the logs

I eventually had to archive it because it was not invisible to local ATV`ers and they used it as an ashtray