Caching on a boat

mj12cz

My husband and I have taken many kayaking trips to get geocaches.

Make sure you are 'legal' and playing it safe. Wear a PFD.....and carry a whistle.

Most geocaches that we've encountered, are on the shore and require you to get out. Depending on the temperatures - will depend on your outfit. In the summer, we wear bathing suites, shorts, shirts, water shoes.

Carry lots of water and a snack or two. A cell phone in a good dry pouch and a camera (also, in a dry pouch).

For us....along with bilge pump, bilge sponge, & rope... We also carry Poison Ivy wash/paper towels, suntan lotion, geocaching tools, leatherman, etc.

Two vehicles for rivers (start & end transportation). In our END vehicle - spare clothes, towels, spare shoes & socks.....etc.

Have fun!

Be prepared to get wet. You will probably need to get out of the boat for most of them and that often involves wading.

I used to help teach a beginning kayaking class at a local kayak rental shop owned by a friend of mine. The lesson included how to safely exit, then reenter a kayak after a capsize. When explaining the process we always started with "When you capsize" not "If you capsize". For many that try the sport for the first time there is an aversion to getting wet while kayaking. Kayak is a wet sport and the sooner that a new kayaker can accept the fact that they're going to get wet, and stop trying to avoid getting wet at all costs the more fun they're going to have and the faster they're going to improve their paddling skills.

That said, there are times when one should avoid getting wet, or more importantly, when it's very important that one is dressed for the possibility of getting wet. There are quite a few "boat access" caches that should not be attempted when the water is very cold, especially while kayaking alone. Hypothermia can be a very dangerous thing.

I've found a lot of boat caches. They're my favorite.

I've found 40 caches that are rated a 5 terrain, and most are boat caches, although not all. I've found more than that by boat, but the rest did not have a 5 terrain on them.

I've found caches by row boat, and sailboats.

Boat and island caches are my favorites.

Well after last nights night caching in the rain, I'm not worried about gettingt wet!

Got a load programmed into my phone ready for the trip, weill have to get a water proof phone bag and a float incase I drop it!

Really looking forward to it.