2 questions!

C&Kskirball

First:Is it bad etiquette to revisit a cache you have previously found just to grab a TB?

Second: Is it ok to email someone who has been holding your TB too long and has done nothing with it to make sure things are ok and/or ask them to move it along soon?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

First:Is it bad etiquette to revisit a cache you have previously found just to grab a TB?

Second: Is it ok to email someone who has been holding your TB too long and has done nothing with it to make sure things are ok and/or ask them to move it along soon?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Re-visit: Certainly. Just log a "note" instead of another "found it".

Email: You can try the email route. It seems to work so rarely -- at least what has been reported here in the forums... we have had mixed results. Keep in mind of what you call "too long" may not be so to another person. Many times, a month is not too long....

Yes, it's fine to email and ask about what's happening with your TB... BUT be very gentle in your wording ;)

I usually send a first email after the trackable has been stuck with someone more than 6 weeks. I usually try something like,

"I've just been checking up on all my TBs and I noticed that you picked up my Whatevername a couple of months back - Thanks very much for that. I really hope you'll be able to move it along into another cache soon because it's on a mision to Whateveritis and I'm enjoying watching the journey. If you have any problems moving it along please just let me know by emailing me. Thanks again, and happy caching to you."

I then make a note on the TB page for my own record - "Reminder sent".

Then I wait...

If nothing happens I'll try another email after a further 6 weeks.

Then... If nothing happens... That's it.

I rarely send more than two emails. You've asked nicely twice. They know they have it. I don't think there's anything to be gained by further nagging. You just keep your fingers crossed that it'll start moving again... eventually. :)

MrsB

Is it ok to email someone who has been holding your TB too long and has done nothing with it to make sure things are ok and/or ask them to move it along soon?

Email (Private Messages in Profiles) doesn't always work very well, for several reasons. So if the recipient thinks the issue's resolved, they begin to wonder what's going on when they get yet another email, more strongly worded. In most cases, the ideal plan is to make a log note on your TB's page, or edit the description, mentioning that you haven't heard from your TB in a while (never single-out anyone). Anyone looking at your TB's page is interested in it, so typing important info is... important. A log note works, email might not.

It's possible that the TB holder is unable to drop your TB right now, due to illness or other problems. Some people grab Trackables almost instinctively, then discover they don't know what to do next. Some TB holders are a little... edgy?... and will get very upset when they get your email, since they seem to get a lot of emails from TB Owners asking uncomfortable questions. As The Blorenges says, if you feel the need to send an email, keep it light.

Edited by kunarion

Depends on your definition of 'too long'. A month or two is not 'too long' for most of us. Lots of micros out there. If you annoy me, it will go in the next cache I find. Stuff it in that nano! Every six months or a year, I ask cachers. Usually, I get no response. Surprisingly I did get a few moved after my last inquisition.

Best response was: Ask my ex. Here's his e-mail address.

The ones I have now are going to Prince Edward Island in September! Hee hee hee.