Price Matching

Well, today I put my GPS on my vehicle while signing a log, and I drove away. My Delorme PN-40 which I loved has gone away forever. Since I am in the works for choosing a new GPS, which sites should I look at to compare prices? Which websites often have the best deals?

With appreciation,

-St.Matthew

Well, today I put my GPS on my vehicle while signing a log, and I drove away. My Delorme PN-40 which I loved has gone away forever. Since I am in the works for choosing a new GPS, which sites should I look at to compare prices? Which websites often have the best deals?

With appreciation,

-St.Matthew

Some information on what sort of unit you're looking for and your geographical location might be helpful here. Some sites are great for some units and not so great for others, and there's not much point suggesting a site if it's in the wrong country.

Some information on what sort of unit you're looking for and your geographical location might be helpful

OP stated he was using a PN-40 and loved it, gives an idea of what he wants. User profile and cache finds suggests West Virginia, USA as location. Good enough starting point.

DeLorme PN-60 would be closest comparable device in current production. If you know and love the PN-40, and already have an investment in software and accessories, this would be a good model to look at. Start at Amazon.com for typical pricing and use CamelCamelCamel.com for pricing history. And as you already have software, cables, and other goodies that came with the PN-40 (and they'll all fit the PN-60) - don't overlook used models on eBay. You might catch a deal on a used one that works but is missing the extras you already have.

---

edit to add:

Search eBay for PN-40 http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=delorme+pn+40

And the PN-60 http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=delorme+pn+60

Edited by user13371
Some information on what sort of unit you're looking for and your geographical location might be helpful

OP stated he was using a PN-40 and loved it, gives an idea of what he wants. User profile and cache finds suggests West Virginia, USA as location. Good enough starting point.

Not necessarily, the fact an old unit packed up doesn't say anything at all about what the OP might be looking for, nor does it give any indication of what budget they have.

I used to use a Garmin 60CSx so based on that alone anyone would have suggested the 62 as a replacement but I went with a Montana.

User profile is all well and good but if they can't be bothered to say where they are I can't be bothered to click through their profile and cache finds in an attempt to figure it out.

OP - the Dakota is a handy unit (a friend of mine has one). The screen is a little on the small side for my liking but that could be something you either like or accept you can live with for the price (if you cache in areas where stealth is required it's much easier to slip into a pocket than something the size of a Montana, for example). IIRC the Dakota 20 can take a memory card for more mapping options and has an electronic compass (both of which the Dakota 10 lacks). It may also be able to send and receive wirelessly but not sure about that. It's a handy feature although quite possibly something you'll only very rarely use.

One other thing, based on being in the US I found good prices at gpscity.com and jr.com

gpscity.com (based in NV) seems like they are usually pretty good but a couple of times things have been listed on their web site as being in stock only to find they were out of stock when I placed the order.

I only ordered from jr.com (based in NY) once - the guy I spoke to seemed efficient to the point of appearing a little curt but the price was good and my order turned up exactly when they said it would so I can't complain.

Team_tisri, sorry my reply rubbed you the wrong way. I didn't intentionally mean to offend by pointing out some stuff that seemed pretty straighforward from the OP. He "loved" his PN40 and lost it (it didn't break down on him). Recommending the next step up in the same product line or saving some $$ by looking for a similar model that was missing accessories seemed pretty reasonable to me.

Your own upgrade from one Garmin unit to another is not as big a shift as suggesting someone who loves DeLorme switch to a different brand altogether. And as he has since stated his budget is pretty limited, I still think a used PN- series would be a good fit.

Edited by user13371

Don't think you can go wrong with either of those options. But I also suggest you visit a store that carries both and see if you like the way the screens look (try to get the a chance to seem them in varied lighting, from dim to full sun) and how the touchscreen works for you versus buttons. It's not that one is better than the other - those details are very subjective and only you can decide what works for you.

If you have an REI near you, that's a good way to try before (and after) you buy. Even though you usually have to pay full retail, if you don't like something you can take it back for a full refund with no hassles.

Edited by user13371

Team_tisri, sorry my reply rubbed you the wrong way. I didn't intentionally mean to offend by pointing out some stuff that seemed pretty straighforward from the OP. He "loved" his PN40 and lost it (it didn't break down on him). Recommending the next step up in the same product line or saving some $$ by looking for a similar model that was missing accessories seemed pretty reasonable to me.

No worries, you didn't rub me the wrong way, it's just that I come across so many posts here and elsewhere where people ask for buying advice but without giving any of the information that would help give useful advice. It's hard to help someone with buying advice when they don't say where they live, don't say what features they rate and don't say what sort of budget they are working with.

I loved my 60CSx (my wife uses it now), and really didn't like the Oregon when I tried one in a shop so didn't think I'd like the Montana at all but when I used one briefly I loved it.

Your own upgrade from one Garmin unit to another is not as big a shift as suggesting someone who loves DeLorme switch to a different brand altogether. And as he has since stated his budget is pretty limited, I still think a used PN- series would be a good fit.

Sure, I didn't mean to query your advice (I'm not familiar with the DeLorme range so can't usefully comment on what they are like to use). Had the original post said something more like "I lost my PN-40, looking for something as close as possible because I loved it, budget around $200 or so" would have provided a baseline for some more useful replies.

Don't think you can go wrong with either of those options. But I also suggest you visit a store that carries both and see if you like the way the screens look (try to get the a chance to seem them in varied lighting, from dim to full sun) and how the touchscreen works for you versus buttons. It's not that one is better than the other - those details are very subjective and only you can decide what works for you.

Definitely check how well you can read the screen in varying levels of light.

I was all set to buy a Garmin Oregon a couple of years back but when I tried one at a local retailer I found that even under their fluorescent strip lighting I couldn't read the screen. Since I mount my GPS to my bike handlebars it's not always an option to just turn it a little or shield it, so the Oregon promptly disappeared from my wish list. When I looked at a Montana more recently it was the first thing I checked, and it takes very bright direct sunlight for me to have problems reading that screen.

Definitely check how well you can read the screen in varying levels of light.

I was all set to buy a Garmin Oregon a couple of years back but when I tried one at a local retailer I found that even under their fluorescent strip lighting I couldn't read the screen. Since I mount my GPS to my bike handlebars it's not always an option to just turn it a little or shield it, so the Oregon promptly disappeared from my wish list. When I looked at a Montana more recently it was the first thing I checked, and it takes very bright direct sunlight for me to have problems reading that screen.

This is the very reason I am now buying at REI. With a lifetime customer satisfaction guarantee, if a month or more down the road I find myself in an environment where I learn the GPSr does not live up to expectations, I simply return it.

Eh, while I have a REI membership and love the guarentees, Is rather pay 100 bucks less and stick with manufacturers warranty.

Won't do any good if 6 months down the road you're in an enviroment you were not expecting where the screens contrast is not sufficient.

I am also fairly certain at the price point you are looking, it will not be a $100 difference.

Edited by baloo&bd

A moot point. REI doesn't carry the Dakota 20, at least not online. Second, unless they price match online, no one seems close to the gpscity price at the present time. Third, anything over 200 will start to get out of my budget. Thanks though. How long have you been employed by REI marketing? ;P

A moot point. REI doesn't carry the Dakota 20, at least not online. Second, unless they price match online, no one seems close to the gpscity price at the present time. Third, anything over 200 will start to get out of my budget. Thanks though. How long have you been employed by REI marketing? ;P

Haven't. Just learned being cheap usually costs more. Is it required to be an REI employee to exhibit common sense?

Surprising the Dakota isn't listed on REI's site anymore. I wonder if Garmin is phasing it out soon. At the < $200 price point, you might also look at the Garmin eTrex 20.

Re the suggestion of being employed by REI marketing - I'm not, but I don't mind paying "full" price there for a few reasons.

1) It's never really "full" price. Anything that's not on sale ends up about 15% off from list price*. It comes back as points and dividends, but I shop there often enough to make it worthwhile. And sometimes the sales are even better. Even if I end up taking out my dividend in bike parts or comfy socks.

2) Two stores very convenient to me, one is near where I work; another near where I live. I can see and handle the products , ask questions. That's sometimes important.

3) Service and satisfaction guarantee can't be beat. I returned a bicycle for a full refund once after having it for over a year, because it didn't suit me anymore. I took back a GPS that had a cracked screen, and they gave me a new one on the spot.

I guess if the price difference for something was big enough, I might shop/research in an REI store and buy elsewhere online -- but I don't find that happens much.

---

* 10% member rebate, 5% additional rebate for items purchased with their Visa card.

Edited by user13371

If you have an REI near you, that's a good way to try before (and after) you buy. Even though you usually have to pay full retail, if you don't like something you can take it back for a full refund with no hassles.

Once or twice a year for the last few years, they've had whopping good sales on Garmin units ... nowhere near "full retail". That said, I doubt the OP is willing to wait until September or whenever the next one will occur to take advantage of that.