Oregon 450 waypoint description missing

How do I show a description of a waypoint on the Oregon 450? On the old Vista HCX I could always see the description of a waypoint, for example "Go left here", on the Oregon I only see ditance, local time and location coordinates. I would like to make some Waymarks, but don't even get the name and short description. Also with cache waypoints it's useless to not have a description of what a waypoint actually means.

Thanks,

Mrs. terratin

I've never tried that to be honest :unsure: Lets see what happens.

Where to -> Waypoints -> chose one -> click on the small WP name window overlaying the map to get to the “distance, local time and location coordinates” -> ... nothing happens

So basically it's not clickable. The information is stored within the .gpx file, some of it appears on the Vista but I just don't find a way of displaying it on the Oregon.

Mrs. terratin

Have you visited the Oregon Wiki?

Yes, I did but could not find anything useful. Apparently it's possible to load waypoints as POI with GSAK and a macro, but I don't want to load every hiking WP (turn left here) as a POI.

Oh, I just read this one here "New feature requests

Add the ability to see the "cmt" field of waypoints imported from gpx files. Particularly with geocaching child waypoints this field is used to describe the waypoint and it would be nice to be able to see this information on the detailed waypoint screen."

So basically, this doesn't seem to be possible to do at all :(

How do I show a description of a waypoint on the Oregon 450?

Well, the Oregon does display Comments.

•  
  • Main Menu
  • Where To?
  • Waypoints
  • (Select a Waypoint)
  • Select the White bar at the top of the map
  • The Waypoint data including the Comment is displayed.

•  
  • If there is no Comment, Select the Pencil Icon
  • Select Change Comment
  • Write your Comment
  • Select the green checkmark
  • It will now be displayed as per the above steps.

How do I show a description of a waypoint on the Oregon 450?

Well, the Oregon does display Comments.

•  
  • Main Menu
  • Where To?
  • Waypoints
  • (Select a Waypoint)
  • Select the White bar at the top of the map
  • The Waypoint data including the Comment is displayed.

•  
  • If there is no Comment, Select the Pencil Icon
  • Select Change Comment
  • Write your Comment
  • Select the green checkmark
  • It will now be displayed as per the above steps.

Hmm.. I just checked some waypoint-gpx files in EasyGPS and found that the Comment field is blank in all of them. I can easily put the text in them, though I have to edit each waypoint (in this case Waymarks) separately. Oh well, it's just about 50, and maybe I at least know then what all those waypoints are about :P

edit: this worked! :blink: Quite a lot of work for something that should, in my opinion be done automatically. Oh well...

Edited by terratin

What kind of waypoints are they? Are they geocaching child waypoints because mine shows them?

In this case they were from Waymarking, but during our last vacation (big test for the Oregon) all child waypoints did not show any addional information, while they did show up on the old Vista :(

How did you Load the cache child waypoints? If you used any 3rd party software it could have stripped information out of the gpx file.

Here's what mine looks like.

waypoint.jpg

Thanks for the screen cap. No, I just used a pocket query, no software involved. If this should normally work then maybe that was one of those hickups that I sometimes observe with the Oregon. Just yesterday it refused to display my home waypoint which it usually has no problems with. Another time it refused to display almost all, but not all :blink: caches in a pocket query, which we noticed after we'd left home. The subsequent few caches transfered via the website button would display again. In the evening we noticed everything was in fact on the gps.

Thanks for the screen cap. No, I just used a pocket query, no software involved. If this should normally work then maybe that was one of those hickups that I sometimes observe with the Oregon. Just yesterday it refused to display my home waypoint which it usually has no problems with. Another time it refused to display almost all, but not all :blink: caches in a pocket query, which we noticed after we'd left home. The subsequent few caches transfered via the website button would display again. In the evening we noticed everything was in fact on the gps.

Not directly related, but of interest... I am currently experiencing similar behavior from my Montana... I have loaded PQ's from Geocaching.com and the Montana refuses to display seemingly random geocaches. I have verified the 'missing' caches are in fact included in the GPX file on the device, yet the Montana refuses to acknowledge them.

I suspect this issue is related to code both the Oregon and Montana units share.

Garmin is aware of the issue and have my GPX files for study.

Intetesting! A few hours ago we arrived in Paris and wanted to pick up a few caches, next to sightseeing...and found again there are no caches on the Oregon though the pocked query is there and in the correct folder. This is the third time this happens in half a year and not too much caching. The waymarks however are there with there short description. how did you contact garmin?

mrs terratin

Edited by terratin

This has happened to me too ..... caches failing to load.

What now do is send them to the SD card - if the caches do not load I pull the SD card, start the unit and the shut it down.

Then I re-insert the card, forcing the GPS to re-load the caches.

What now do is send them to the SD card - if the caches do not load I pull the SD card, start the unit and the shut it down.

That used to work for me, especially way back when all I had were the Oregon GPS units. This procedure is currently not solving the missing cache(s) issue with my Montana.

That used to work for me, especially way back when all I had were the Oregon GPS units. This procedure is currently not solving the missing cache(s) issue with my Montana.

Mr. terratin made a little discovery today. he put one additional cache on rhe oregon and simply pulled out the cable - and found out later all caches were gone again. will have to do some more testing, but maybe this error can be reproduced by not properly disconnecting the gps. i would say we always do that but today proved we dont.