What's the most interesting geocache you've done?

I'm just curious about what was the most interesting geocache that you've done in your caching career. Either a unique/fun cache container or retrieval, or the physical location was interesting and unique in some way other than a great view.

The most interesting cache that I've done is we went for a FTF on a (then) recently published cache. The coords on the cache page were for the center of a lake, since the cache was on an island. The catch was that the island floats around the lake, depending on which way the wind blows. It turns out the island is man-made and has been in the lake for a long time, as there is vegitation all over it, including 30' trees growing on it. On parts of the island you can see through to the water below. Since the cache is now archived due to inadequate permission, here's the GC number so you can check it out: GC311FC (Floating Island). It was only active for 3 1/2 months, so I'm really happy we had a chance to find it.

Edited by Hot Pepper Crew

By far the most interesting this month is one here called "The Cachers Cache" which actually has an official sign to its position! The sign is made correctly to look like a standard one for High Power Electricity cables, on a short pipe, so people just "see" it and walk by without reading.

Lots of interesting caches....

We have a group of folks here that have a LOST81 game - one cache for every D/T on the fizzy chart. The caches this group put out are probably the best I've seen in the year & half we've been geocaching.

Multi - required you to 'dress up' in costume and take a picture. Girls to dress like the guys and guys to dress as the girls (costumes were included at the site).

Multi - required you to search thru an ammo-can filled with KEYS to find the right key to open a lock. The lock was chained to a tree & a 20' foot ladder that you had to carry to another stage to get the final container.

Those are the two that stand out right now...without trying to rack my brain...

One of my favorites was a mystery cache that was very easy to get the coordinates to (they were in white text) but the catch was the search. The description stated it was an ammo can and the coords took me to a large felled tree. Typical right?

I thought it was going to be extremely easy but after searching and searching I came up empty. After taking a third stab at it I finally found the ammo can......it was a mini! :)

XHsF0.jpg

I thought it was a very nice touch on what seemed like just another ammo can tucked beside a tree.

There are several field puzzles that I could probably choose as "the most interesting geocache". One is a 6-stage puzzle multi-cache that has been a local favorite for years. The individual stages are all very good, but the combined experience with all the stages presenting different challenges is excellent. Another (which is now archived) didn't tell you that there was a field puzzle; you had to figure out that the "decoy" was actually a tool, and you needed to figure out how to use it to retrieve the cache.

A few of the "evil" 4-star camouflage caches might qualify too. After 10 minutes, you've searched "everywhere it could possibly be", and then you need to figure out how and where the CO actually hid it. In once case, the CO even tells you that the cache is about 4" in diameter and 1" tall, so it isn't just a NIAH blinker hide.

I hate to be a story topper but....Mine I won't give away much but it was in a Walmart parking lot under a lamp post...I've said too much already, and probably ruined it for some. But being serious was a puzzle cache deep inside Daniel Boone State park in order to open the cache you had to figure out certain movie trivia that opened the combo lock...

http://coord.info/GC1ATTT Lookout Below in St. Maarten. Went on a cruise with a friend who caches and we rented a car to drive around the island. What a way to see places the tour guides don't take you! Not a particularly challenging cache but when I think about my favorites, this is near the top of my list.

http://coord.info/GC16ZF9 A Mine is a terrible thing to waste - would be the other one I could think of. It was one of my early caches and this was what really turned me on to caching. I have come up to this area since I was little, lived up here since 2005 and didn't know this place existed until I went Geocaching. I've found a lot of locations like that since then, but this was the one that made me say WOW.

Patti

The best for the cache itself is Multi-cache: Tubulaire Extraordinaire!

GC12WGA by Dayspring

It's an amazing multi where you pick up a bag of stuff at the first cache, including string, nuts, balloons, etc. then you take the bag around to the caches and see which thing helps you get into which cache. You've got to figure out what to do with each cache to get the information out of them. It's a lot of fun. The most fun I've had with the cache alone. No I'm not giving any of the waypoints away. You've got to figure them out yourself. But I guarantee you'll have a blast doing it.

I say that meaning that other caches are at the top of my list because of where they are, and what it takes to get there.

For instance, The Marine Giants GC1MF62 requires you to take a small boat of sometime to an island. Then you've got to get up a dirt cliff by means of a rope hanging down the cliff. You've got to go hand-over hand up the rope. There are two caches on that island you've got to get to that way. I promise you, you cannot get across the island to get to the other.

Then there was a puzzle I just did that you've got to go through a lava tube to find the final. The lava tube is a mile long.

I love the adventure caches. I love boat caches.

Also my favorite challenge cache is the WA State Island Challenge where you've got to find a cache on each of 23 islands. That was amazing. I went to some great places for that cache.

GC12WGA by Dayspring

It's an amazing multi where you pick up a bag of stuff at the first cache, including string, nuts, balloons, etc. then you take the bag around to the caches and see which thing helps you get into which cache. You've got to figure out what to do with each cache to get the information out of them. It's a lot of fun. The most fun I've had with the cache alone. No I'm not giving any of the waypoints away. You've got to figure them out yourself. But I guarantee you'll have a blast doing it.

I say that meaning that other caches are at the top of my list because of where they are, and what it takes to get there.

For instance, The Marine Giants GC1MF62 requires you to take a small boat of sometime to an island. Then you've got to get up a dirt cliff by means of a rope hanging down the cliff. You've got to go hand-over hand up the rope. There are two caches on that island you've got to get to that way. I promise you, you cannot get across the island to get to the other.

Then there was a puzzle I just did that you've got to go through a lava tube to find the final. The lava tube is a mile long.

Also my favorite challenge cache is the WA State Island Challenge where you've got to find a cache on each of 23 islands. That was amazing. I went to some great places for that cache.

I've done a few of Dayspring's caches, but haven't done the multi you're talking about. Next time we drive up to Seattle I'll have to make a point to do that one. I also appreciate that you didn't give any spoilers on how to complete the cache.

I went on a hike and got to the coordinets and look all over. The place was a swamp and i checked everywhere when i came across a tennis ball half covered in mud. I flipped the tennis ball over and found a film cartridge inside a hole cut out of the tennis ball. I have not been caching long so that was the most interesting for me.

GC12WGA by Dayspring

I've done a few of Dayspring's caches, but haven't done the multi you're talking about. Next time we drive up to Seattle I'll have to make a point to do that one. I also appreciate that you didn't give any spoilers on how to complete the cache.

What was the lava tube cache called? i might want to do that one.

well,

the most interesting cache I've done SO FAR.... might be one called Gnome Crossing & inn. it was a medium sized cache but it was camoed to look like a little house for a gnome under the abandoned railroad...... its awesomer than it sounds..... :smile:

Edited by newcarsmell

Without a shred of a doubt this is my favorite physical cache... And one of the most interesting all things considered.

Necropolis of Britannia Manor III

Hidden by the really cool gazillionaire game developer and casual aquanaut/abyssal-cacher/astronaut/astro-cacher extraordinaire and personal friend to the gc.com founders....and from what I hear just a regular guy in person, Richard Garriott aka Lord British.

If you consider the resources it took and what his free time must be worth in dollars, Necropolis is easily worth 50k to 100k and that is all things considered. Sure he had help, but what a result! 235 Favorites so far! Just awesome!

Take a gander at the gallery...

0255fd7f-6ca8-4f1e-a4ec-3cb1e539359d.jpg

Certainly worth planning a vacation around...

Edited by Snoogans

One of my favorites was a mystery cache that was very easy to get the coordinates to (they were in white text) but the catch was the search. The description stated it was an ammo can and the coords took me to a large felled tree. Typical right?

I thought it was going to be extremely easy but after searching and searching I came up empty. After taking a third stab at it I finally found the ammo can......it was a mini! :)

XHsF0.jpg

I thought it was a very nice touch on what seemed like just another ammo can tucked beside a tree.

I did one like that in Albuquerque. It took me an hour to find it and the coords were accurate to within a foot.

I call that mental camo. It was lots of fun.

Don't Do This Cache. Archived in 2006. In 2011 people were still writing notes to it. I gave it a favorite, even though it's archived. I couldn't not give it a favorite. (And I don't spend favorites very often! I have 111 of them left to spend.) Our group of 4 was the first to complete the cache in one day. 11-1/2 hours of bushwhacking and trail hiking over streams and through woods for 11-1/2 miles. What a great experience it was.

Hands down, VIEW CARRE ' (GCE02C) was my favorite.

Yep, gotta second that emotion :)

Some other memorable ones in my area are:

GC256KV, "Acrophobia" (These pics are not me, they're from the cache page gallery...wish I'd brought my camera that day...)

fa7baecd-99bf-4d4e-9303-74100b03b04b.jpg

d1ec9e6c-2edf-4432-adf9-cb8eac08a90d.jpg

GC2KGKC, "Lady Dolphin" This pic is me....

68686163-c2b5-4ff9-9265-7505528e276a.jpg

a18bbb43-d3dc-41f5-9b12-e8235f81a2c0.jpg

GC1ACCR, "The Art of Kenny Hill"

41c1e7e1-336a-4cee-9f18-e66ce7e466da.jpg

Edited by Chief301

XHsF0.jpg

I did one like that in Albuquerque. It took me an hour to find it and the coords were accurate to within a foot.

I call that mental camo. It was lots of fun.

I'm with you man, mental camo for sure. The crazy thing about it was I searched a hollow spot in the log twice, and all the while the cache was inches below on the ground!!

I had a great laugh, luckily no one was around to witness :)

On a side note, have you ever posted on the xbox.com forums? I've been off and on there for years and a guy named Snoogans was a regular.