Would you give up caching?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. I discovered caching almost a year ago, and wish I had found it sooner. For me, it's the perfect hobby. I have been doing puzzles for years, and it has been getting harder and harder to find a challenge. Many of the geocaching puzzles are so creative and different, and I love the rush of finding a difficult cache. As for the finances - I've been lucky in that I've saved well, and am happy living a comfortable lifestyle without a lot of extras, and geocaching with my husband has definitely added much pleasure to our lives. I don't miss what I don't have, and want more than anything to have fun experiences. My biggest wish the last few years is that I could join my husband in retirement, but because I want more time to spend pursuing our hobbies, geocaching being at the top of the list! So even though the 20 million dollars would bring on retirement faster, it would be a curse for the rest of my life. And I'd miss seeing all my geocaching friends at the events. No, I'm pretty sure I would turn it down. (Anyone want to offer it to me to see if I'm wrong? :lol: )

If you noticed how many would vs how many wouldn't...who would be left to place and maintain them?

I would quit in a half a heartbeat. The one problem would be that with $20 million, I would be able to retire instantly and live off of investment income. Then I would have the extra time I've been wanting to go caching, but not be able to do it. I guess finally I would have time for woodworking and fishing. I'm still hoping that one day I find that cache out there that contains $20 million. I'll make sure to drop in a little trinket in exchange. :P

Edited by combinatorics

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. I discovered caching almost a year ago, and wish I had found it sooner. For me, it's the perfect hobby. I have been doing puzzles for years, and it has been getting harder and harder to find a challenge. Many of the geocaching puzzles are so creative and different, and I love the rush of finding a difficult cache. As for the finances - I've been lucky in that I've saved well, and am happy living a comfortable lifestyle without a lot of extras, and geocaching with my husband has definitely added much pleasure to our lives. I don't miss what I don't have, and want more than anything to have fun experiences. My biggest wish the last few years is that I could join my husband in retirement, but because I want more time to spend pursuing our hobbies, geocaching being at the top of the list! So even though the 20 million dollars would bring on retirement faster, it would be a curse for the rest of my life. And I'd miss seeing all my geocaching friends at the events. No, I'm pretty sure I would turn it down. (Anyone want to offer it to me to see if I'm wrong? :lol: )

Yep, money can be a curse. Sure it sounds wonderful to be able to buy anything you like or travel anywhere, but I've met my share of rich folks and from what I've seen money doesn't guarantee happiness.

For USD$20 Million, I'd give up a lot of stuff, including Geocaching.

Then I'd buy out Jeremy and change the name to Geostashing.com and become a pro Geostasher

If I was Jeremy, I would laugh loudly in your face and tell you to add another 50M with whip cream and a cherry on top. (no nuts)

Seriously. :mellow:

As tempting as 20 million dollars may be, no I wouldn't.

I gave it up for two years while I was in an abusive marriage. I filed for divorce and moved to Maryland to be with my boyfriend - he literally saved my life from my ex husband.

Last on Monday, my boyfriend said to me, "hey, let's try this geocaching thing you always talk about. I know how bad you miss it. Show me how" and now he's addicted. We started our own account together and now I have a caching buddy!

I don't think I could ever give this up again. It's so much fun, makes you think and it's relatively free. What's not to love?

Yes, but I wouldn't be real happy about it.

The villagers would come for you with torches and pitchforks about 5 minutes after you archive View Carre. :laughing:

Don't mess with the villagers.

Several years ago MtMan was on vacation and a GS newbie was standing in and archived the cache due to an issue with the cache description wording. The first I knew of it was when I started receiving tons of emails and phone calls re the archiving. A Boston area attorney contacted me offering to "litigate" the issue for free and I had several inquiries re where money could be sent for a " defense" fund, etc,etc. In a day or two MtMan had settled the issue and I corrected the wording but not until the GS newbie was shredded ( many logs were deleted due to language ).....I get a chuckle every time I think about it......there is no easy way out for me but for GS to do it they may need a sock puppet.

I still want to be really clear about the conditions. Is it strictly the act of caching (seeking and finding), or does it include everything to do with caching? Placing caches, attending events, sending out TBs...

Could I build cache containers?

Could I operate a geo-store?

Could I teach others how to cache?

Gotta know what my options are. I'm still going to take the 20M but I like to know the facts.

For USD$20 Million, I'd give up a lot of stuff, including Geocaching.

Then I'd buy out Jeremy and change the name to Geostashing.com and become a pro Geostasher

But would you bring back vitruals?

I've already written the press release and recruited the reviewers, plus I have a whole new line of Geostashing gear ready to go (well, a box of magic markers and the old gear mostly)

In addition, I'll be doing a whole new line of Virtual Geostashing merchandise, such as Exclusive Virtual Stash Containers in all sizes, including Magnetic Nanos, Virtual Stash Log Books, Virtual Travel Insects, Virtual Stash Pens, Virtual T-Shirts, Virtual Hats, Virtual Rucksacks, Virtual Torches & Virtual Keyrings.

Don't worry, you'll be able to get you GroundWhisper inc gear well ahead of time, I'll be releasing it on ebay shortly, just as soon as I've made space by shifting this consignment of Air Guitars.

Sadly though we will have to lay off Signal with a golden flippershake to make way for our new brand mascot, Cyril the Squirrel.

Among new policies will be a Donation based voting system for new or old cache types to come back or be banned, basically the way this will work is that every month, we'll pick a vote topic, and you all can vote for or against by writing yes or no on the back of a dollar bill (don't forget to log it at where's george) then send it in, at the end of the month, we'll count the Dollars Votes and announce the winner.

Oh, and we'll be rebranding the lackeys too, henceforth they will be known as minions..... Mwahhahahahhahahah

I still want to be really clear about the conditions. Is it strictly the act of caching (seeking and finding), or does it include everything to do with caching? Placing caches, attending events, sending out TBs...

Gotta know what my options are. I'm still going to take the 20M but I like to know the facts.

That's what I'm saying! We need definitions of the terms or the question is meaningless!!

(And probably I would take the money and figure out how to keep caching. I discovered today that when it's been almost a week since I've been out, I get really cranky and stressed. Winter will be fun. <_< )

For that kind of money, you wouldn't even be allowd to play hide and seek with your kids anymore. :D

That's what I'm saying! We need definitions of the terms or the question is meaningless!!

(And probably I would take the money and figure out how to keep caching. I discovered today that when it's been almost a week since I've been out, I get really cranky and stressed. Winter will be fun. <_< )

It's simple, buy Groundspeak, change the name to Geocatching (or whatever else you wish) and start geocatching $20 million richer.

Edited by Roman!

[quote name='DanOCan' timestamp='1339194270' post='5057913

I could still hike and see all sorts of wonderful places without having to wade through thousands of LPCs and power trail caches?

Thats true and we've always liked to travel, hike, and poke around but I wouldn't have seen a fraction of what I've seen through geocaching.