Store bought cache containers

I an a teenager and would like to start placing some geocaches. I don't have a credit card and I can't order anything online, but I do have a driver's license and cash. I am interested in buying any size container, although I would like to get some bigger ones because my town is covered in micros and I would like to add some diversity! I would like these containers to be high quality, even if I have to spend a bit more money for them. Some stores around me include Menards, Home Depot, JC penneys, Target, dollar stores, Marsh, Meijer, Dicks sporting goods, and a shopping mall filled with other smaller stores. Which of these stores would have good cache containers? And what kind of containers would these be? These stores are kind of out of the way and I would like to have a clue what stores/containers to look for. Thanks!

Lock N Locks and plastic safe spray paint in the color of your choice. Couple of bucks and you are good to go.

Also easy to replace and hold up pretty well.

People also know how to open and close them without wrecking them. That can not be said for more rare container types.

Meaning you will replace them less often due to damage.

Shaun

JCPenney sells sets of Lock N Locks. They are usually 16pc or 20pc sets, meaning you get 8 or 10 containers and they range from small to large size. Like someone mentioned, if you get spray paint meant for plastic you can camouflage them in whatever color you want. Just be sure to scuff them first with sandpaper (then wipe clean) so the paint will stick.

JCPenney sells sets of Lock N Locks. They are usually 16pc or 20pc sets, meaning you get 8 or 10 containers and they range from small to large size. Like someone mentioned, if you get spray paint meant for plastic you can camouflage them in whatever color you want. Just be sure to scuff them first with sandpaper (then wipe clean) so the paint will stick.

What sidekeck said.

Here's a link to the set I usually get...$20 gets you ten containers of various sizes. But unlike sidekeck, I don't bother painting them.

Its amazing when you look around and see containers in almost anything. Like Peanut butter jars or Mayonnaise jars, I even snack on mini M&Ms cause I like the tubes they come in. So sometimes before you throw something away think on how it could possible be a cache container, if it could hold up to being outside for weeks or months.

Recently a local newbie put out a cache with Super Glue and glued a container to a real leaf. It didn't last the first day after 3 finders. When you find more caches you will find more uses for everyday things. You will see what holds up and what doesn't.

In addition to Lock n Locks, you might check the sporting goods places....waterproof match containers make a great micro, and you can also probably find small, gasketed boxes made for camping or boating. I've seen some nice containers made to protect your valuables or cell phone, up to larger ones for storing ammo etc.

As mentioned above, check for a local military surplus store. I picked up two ammo cans (200 ct. 7.62) for $6 a piece. The gaskets are in great shape.

My only cache hide is a dry box I picked up from Wal-Mart. It has a thick gasket with two clamps and seems to repel moisture very well. This is the large size ($9) and there's a smaller version ($7) and also a cell phone box ($5)

I forgot to mention I can attest to how good the lock n locks are.

One of my first finds was a small one, placed on a hill where a tree had fallen. I left a pocket notebook and a hologram card inside without thinking to put them in a ziplock bag (newbie mistake!).

A few weeks later (and after some heavy rains) I went back to see how well everything held up. It was dry as could be. I was very impressed.

Try going to the Home Depot or Lowes. They have 5 Gallon buckets with lids. These are usually waterproof and can hold all kinds of swag. Would be great if you have woods. You can probably paint them too. I am thinking about something like that for my local area. Just make sure you label it accordingly.

Value Village or Goodwill or other charity / resale store

look for fishing tackle boxes. The heavy duty plastic ones can hold quite a bit and are sturdy .

Ditto reusing peanut butter or mayonase jars.( plastic screw on lids , not the old metal lids and not flap top.

Last month I found a cache hanging in a tree that was clearly a catsup/mustard squirt bottle covered in camo duct tape, The nozzel end was pierced through with heavy wire to make the hanger and covered with duct tape.

Most people here use duct tape ( found in craft stores in many colors including camo) covered Lock n Lock ( tm). Over time any plastic will break down but they are sturdy in my wet environment

Try going to the Home Depot or Lowes. They have 5 Gallon buckets with lids. These are usually waterproof and can hold all kinds of swag. Would be great if you have woods. You can probably paint them too. I am thinking about something like that for my local area. Just make sure you label it accordingly.

The problem with the 5 gallon buckets is that they can be a royal pain in the kiester to open and close, so the seal can be compromised.