Anyone up in the North East?

Afternoon all!

So my name is Jake and I'm up in the North East (Sunderland to be exact - but don't let that put you off) and I'm literally brand new to Geocaching aside from casually talking about it with friends.

However, I've recently found myself with a load of free time and I've decided to give it a go.

I'd love to meet up with anyone that can help me and such - I'd be grateful if you could give me a sort of step-by-step guide.

Obviously I can go hunting on my own but I'd rather do it with someone who's a bit more informed (reading the guides and such isn't quite the same as doing it).

I dunno if this is the right place to post my request so if it needs to be closed/moved etc. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause any problems - honest! :laughing:

Cheers for the welcome!

I'm not a big Facebook fan but I will keep an eye out for events.

I've seen a few listed that I might give a try tomorrow since they are local :anitongue:

Hi and welcome.

As I am way down south I can't help in that way.

That is not so bad if you can go out on your own to find caches. You will soon get the idea of how it's done. I believe many started that way. Well I did for quite a while. Even now I go out on my own with just my dog.

Hi McDeHack - awesome name.

Yeah I've been having a deeks around the local ones - I don't drive yet so I can't really travel to middle-of-nowhere places but there seems a fair few in walking/public transport distance that I might go and check out.

I have a cat and she's generally a negative cat, doubt she'd be game for coming with me haha.

Question: if you find a Geocoin or Travelbug do you have to take them far from where you find them? Or does every little help, so to speak?

Does that make sense? :laughing:

... I have a cat and she's generally a negative cat, doubt she'd be game for coming with me haha.

Question: if you find a Geocoin or Travelbug do you have to take them far from where you find them? Or does every little help, so to speak?

Does that make sense? :laughing:

Cats are not usually into geocaching. They just don't get the point of it. Yes, it involves hunting but there's no food involved at the end.

If you find a trackable (that is any travelbug or geocoin) the most important thing is that you log it correctly by using the tracking number on it. Full instructions here: How to log a travel bug or geocoin.

You should try to follow the mission (if the trackable has been given one) on its homepage. Sometimes the owner would like them to travel far, or towards a particular destination. Some ask you to add photographs. Others just want to travel randomly but safely, anywhere and everywhere.

MrsB :)

Hi Perce, welcome to the obsession that is Geocaching! I've been 'caching nearly as long as McDeHack, well, a few days less, anyway! I'm over in Carlisle, too far away to meet up, I'm afraid. :surprise:

Just a couple of questions...what are you using to find caches? Smartphone or dedicated GPSr?

Are you using a computer to look at maps/caches?

If you are signed in on a computer/laptop, it is easier to see and zoom in because the screen is much bigger than a phone.

Any questions you have, post 'em here, there's ALWAYS someone that will help! As for TB's/geocoins, see what the goal is and try to keep to it. I don't personally move them because I am lazy and forget to move 'em on!

Happy 'caching,

Gaz

Edited by GAZ

There's a NE geocaching group on Facebook here - https://www.facebook.com/groups/munkeh/ There's a lot of banter goes on and sometimes people even talk about caching!

A couple of events where you can meet up with some of the locals...

There's a monthly event at a pub http://coord.info/GC3KHPZ Venue varies as a different cacher organises it each month

Two in Morpeth http://coord.info/GC3KE1Q and http://coord.info/GC3KRTB

The Blorenges-

I don't even think she'd give a monkeys if there was food at the end of it, she's that miserable.

Cheers for the link - I've been having a look at a few trackable pages and for example they say things like "Go around the world and return to America by Christmas 2012" which is great but if I picked it up and moved it like...a few miles? Would that be alright? Since I just don't have the facility to take it like halfway across the country haha.

Gaz -

At the moment I'm totally new to it so I only really have my smartphone to double as a GPS. I have a Geocaching app which looks pretty decent upon initial inspection so I think I'll give that a few whirls before I decide to change or upgrade to something else.

I'm also using a computer so I can zoom in on them before going mobile with my phone :laughing:

I reckon I'll end up like yourself, too lazy to move 'em. I'm just enjoying the novelty of finding one is all!

duncanhoyle -

Cheers - I don't use FB really but I'm tempted to re-activate just to get in on the group and banter is always welcome.

So yeah I'm up and showered and getting ready to go on my first treasure hunt! Wish me a bit of luck, eh? :anibad:

Edited by Perce

if I picked it up and moved it like...a few miles? Would that be alright?

Absolutely, trackables are there to move and if you can only move them a short distance that's fine. Don't get too hung up on trackables missions, if you can help it in it's mission that's fine but if you can't then just moving it is good. At least it shows the trackable owner that their TB/coin is still there and hasn't been nicked yet.

MartyBartfast -

Cheers, I'm going to keep it moving on even if it's not too far!

So - quick update!

Just been on two hunts and managed to find one out of two after some excited raking around in the dirt.

Took something and left something and had a really, really good time. Short but very, very sweet.

I plan on going back to the second one and giving it another go after having a thing because I could

not find it for love nor money haha.

Thanks for the advice and comments though, chaps - really appreciate it.

ALSO I found 2 coins which I took and plan on moving on in keeping with their mission - generally a good first time, no?!

Edited by Perce