Entering coordinates manually into iPhone app

Geoboater

If I had a nickel!!!

The frequency of this question popping up means the information is just not clear enough for new people. I remember when I started that it was a bear trying to figure out what the buttons did/meant.l

I had suggested in Dec that the iPhone FAQs need to be updated along with screen shots from this version. Last I checked, the info was updated in 2009...

Can a waypoint be added using the app without being in navigation mode?  We are teaching a class at our school's STREAM night, and want to place temporary caches on the campus.  We won't have enough gpsr's for everyone and want to show them how to use the app on their phones.  Can they enter the waypoints using any app at all?  It seems this is only possible while navigating to an existing cache.  Or . . . would it be better to get permission to set up lab caches just for our event, exclusive to the attendees and not published on Groundspeak?

1 hour ago, KKLNdike Explorers said:

Can a waypoint be added using the app without being in navigation mode?  We are teaching a class at our school's STREAM night, and want to place temporary caches on the campus.  We won't have enough gpsr's for everyone and want to show them how to use the app on their phones.  Can they enter the waypoints using any app at all?  It seems this is only possible while navigating to an existing cache.  Or . . . would it be better to get permission to set up lab caches just for our event, exclusive to the attendees and not published on Groundspeak?

It's unusual to have "temporary caches" on Geocaching.com.  It's a very special case to have "Lab Caches".  In order to use the Official Geocaching App, all users must have an account and of course install that App.  Not everyone wants to sign up for stuff online.  That can happen later if they want to actually do "Geocaching".

I'd suggest you obtain waypoints using a GPS, temporary caches for students to find on the campus.  These are not listed on Geocaching.com, they are saved waypoints that you might have them load in some way, or have it so the waypoints can be typed from a handout.

But one issue is, do the students all have the exact same kind of phone?  If all the phones at least have a calibrated magnetic compass and active location services, AND the phones are either Android or IOS, AND there is access to Google Play or Apple Store and they are able to download Apps, you now need to research "Free GPS Apps" that work on both Android and IOS.  Or at least get familiar with the way the various Apps work on various phones. You may need to do some troubleshooting of the more finicky phones.

One App that is available in both platforms is "Spyglass", which allows manually typing a waypoint (in the free version).  All students must download and install the chosen App, you explain how to use the App, and now they can go find the temporary caches.

Good luck! :)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1