50 Non-traditional Challenge

I have recently completed a challenge cache where I had to find 50 caches, in a row, that are not traditional caches. There is no time limit on it. I came across this challenge on a bookmark that was on a different challenge cache. My problem now is I can not find this challenge cache in order for log it. I thought it was in Oregon, but I couldn't find it. If anyone knows the GC code, could you please post it here?

Thanks

I'd imagine there were several of these in different areas, there was something like it here in NH.

Did a requirement like this get squashed by the new guidelines? If so, did they grandfather already existing caches, or did they archive 'em? I haven't looked recently for the one here in NH (which, I think wanted you to have a % of your finds be puzzles...) but if the cache you're looking for fell victim to the guidelines, that'd be why you can't find it. What new guidelines? Specifically:

One should not have to 'give up' finding other caches to achieve a challenge cache's requirements. To state that "10% of your find count needs to be Attended Logs" would require the geocacher to stop finding other types of caches and could affect their overall enjoyment of the game.

You might find this guy's bookmarks helpful in finding Challenge Caches.

Edited by Too Tall John

Existing challenges published before the guideline change are "grandfathered" - meaning they won't be archived because of the changes/clarifications to Challenge Cache requirements introduced in March.

It's possible that a "Find 50 non-traditional caches in a row" challenge would not be published if submitted tomorrow. It requires geocachers to refrain from finding other caches - possibly limiting their enjoyment. What if your best friend decides to host an event cache at a time when you are 90% complete with a "100 puzzles in a row" challenge?

I have recently completed a challenge cache where I had to find 50 caches, in a row, that are not traditional caches. There is no time limit on it. I came across this challenge on a bookmark that was on a different challenge cache. My problem now is I can not find this challenge cache in order for log it. I thought it was in Oregon, but I couldn't find it. If anyone knows the GC code, could you please post it here?

Thanks

Did you already find the physical cache? Just fyi, for future challenge caches you are working on: you can put it on your watchlist, bookmark it, or even log a note saying you are working on it. That way you have a record of which cache it is.

Existing challenges published before the guideline change are "grandfathered" - meaning they won't be archived because of the changes/clarifications to Challenge Cache requirements introduced in March.

It's possible that a "Find 50 non-traditional caches in a row" challenge would not be published if submitted tomorrow. It requires geocachers to refrain from finding other caches - possibly limiting their enjoyment. What if your best friend decides to host an event cache at a time when you are 90% complete with a "100 puzzles in a row" challenge?

Then post a note instead of an attended. The new challenge guidelines stink!!! A challenge isn't a challenge, if you can just stumble into it in your normal caching. It limits my enjoyment not having challenge caches of that nature allowed anymore.

This one is similar but more restrictive; needs to be 50 Puzzles in a row http://coord.info/GC2R5YE

Interesting I didn't realize the challenge guidelines changed. I think I'm OK with the new "One should not have to 'give up' finding other caches" guideline.

I'm less sure about "Challenge caches cannot include restrictions based on 'date found'; caches found before the challenge cache publication date can count towards the achievement of the challenge.". I can see the logic in banning this; but I also see the logic in setting a challenge which starts today - so everyone has the same starting point.

Find a new best friend? :anibad:

This one is similar but more restrictive; needs to be 50 Puzzles in a row http://coord.info/GC2R5YE

Interesting I didn't realize the challenge guidelines changed. I think I'm OK with the new "One should not have to 'give up' finding other caches" guideline.

I'm less sure about "Challenge caches cannot include restrictions based on 'date found'; caches found before the challenge cache publication date can count towards the achievement of the challenge.". I can see the logic in banning this; but I also see the logic in setting a challenge which starts today - so everyone has the same starting point.

I enjoy puzzle caches and might even take on a personal challenge to do some number of them in a row but I don't need a smiley face from some other cache to increase my enjoyment in completing the challenge. I can't imagine doing 50 in a row though. I haven't found 50 caches total in the last year.

Everyone starts at the same number of caches to find, yes, but...

I was working on the NH "Know Your Local Cacher" challenge, where you need to find 3 different cache types hidden by 10 different cachers. Once you've cleared out your home area and found most of the non-Traditional caches in a even larger circumference, do you know how long it takes to do this? Many cachers in my area have hidden only one or two cache types, and those who have hidden more, I'd already found all their caches of one type. If I was a new cacher, I'd have been able to finish this one in a week.

originally I thought you meant find 50 caches in a row, one from each different state. Wow, where did I think that idea from?

So, 50 non traditionals in a row. Yeah, I can see that not getting published now, but as someone who likes non-traditional caches, I would personally have had no qualms with that challenge cache and would have actually enjoyed it. However, I am in favor of the new guidelines.

Edited by lamoracke

Thanks

Sure wish there was a way to do a search by location + keyword. Would make things a lot simpler. (search for keyword: Challenge, location Oregon, for example.)

Lesson learned: create your own "Challenge Caches" bookmark.

I would ask a moderator to move your thread to the Northwest forum, if you're positive it's in Oregon:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=21

Or, if it might be in British Columbia, then the Canada forum might be the place:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=28

B.

I found it! Assuming you live in Sweden that is and its up to 100.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=189b8678-573f-4cec-a592-84bc5deddc54

Challenge #078 100 non Trad in a row

If you go to that challenge, it says it was inspired by one from the United States

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c0759947-3da0-42f3-afbd-f09b49735b87

MookieWilson's100 nontraditional'koneko' Challenge

So, found an example in Sweden and Massachusetts. Definitely not one in Washington State. I used to make an Oregon bookmark for challenges but grew tired of it, at least for Oregon. No example of that there but it could be newer or I missed it.

Edited by lamoracke

Thanks

So, I was looking at this bookmark (I pointed it out in post 2) and found GC2R5YE: Puzzle Insanity Challenge in Oregon! If you look in this bookmark you could probably find one in Washington, closer to you in BC. Sorry, It looks like the guy who compiled the bookmarks is just doing the US States, you Canadians are on your own... :anibad: Edited by Too Tall John

Thanks

Sure wish there was a way to do a search by location + keyword. Would make things a lot simpler. (search for keyword: Challenge, location Oregon, for example.)

I'd be happy if a keyword search would just return a list of cache ordered by proximity to my home location. For some reason the Hide and Seek a cache page doesn't include the distance from home data so one can't even order the results after the search is complete.

I'd be curios to see what a bookmark list for Challenge in New York state would look like because I suspect that creating Challenge Caches is somewhat of a regional thing. I know of one challenge cache locally has asks you to find caches in some of the many gorges in the area and came across one yesterday that requires you to find 500 multi and 500 puzzle caches. So far nobody has logged a find on that one.

I'd be curios to see what a bookmark list for Challenge in New York state would look like because I suspect that creating Challenge Caches is somewhat of a regional thing. I know of one challenge cache locally has asks you to find caches in some of the many gorges in the area and came across one yesterday that requires you to find 500 multi and 500 puzzle caches. So far nobody has logged a find on that one.
Looking over the bookmark, is the gorge challenge "ITHACA *IS* GORGE-OUS CHALLENGE"? I didn't find a 500 Puzzle/500 Multi Challenge, but I did find in NY the "Multi-Mystery Challenge", a 500/300 Challenge.