Geocoin display wallet

Doctor A

Thought I'd share this with people on the board. I have some geocoins that are activated that I like to take to events for people to discover. I wanted something easily portable to keep them in. I bought a nice business card wallet and thought it would work, but of course once the coins were in them, it wouldn't snap closed. So then I started looking at business card wallets that had a row of three slots, but still could see that all the already made ones would have the same problem. So I went to etsy and looked for people who made similar things- homemade business card wallets or ebook covers, out of leather, suede or fabric. I contacted several people to ask if this was something they could make, and decided on one person. I gave her the measurements and so the spine is much wider than a typical business card wallet, in order to allow for the thickness of the coins. I bought business card inserts with three rows and even on the one side, with almost each page having the top row with a coin insert in it, there's still plenty of room. My friend who does the engraving and made the mattes fo the framed coins I showed on here before made these little holders out of the picture frame matting as well, to provide support to the coins and to ahve the tracking numbers clearly visible so people don't have to pull the coins out. I'm very pleased with how it came out!

33d211b3-46f1-4766-b3d1-46803c9f9800.jpg

c906070e-18d3-45d7-af03-c7983033fd37.jpg

e7d3e6d8-a25f-44b0-99d7-9625e3a4a5db.jpg

tn8.jpg

Edited by Doctor A

That is so neat!

I usually just take a few geocoins to our local events. I haven't ran into anyone crazy about geocoins at the events, coins are usually just passed around like any other travel bug. So I never bring more coins than I can watch. I wouldn't bring a big binder - people would think I'm crazy. :) But something like this wallet could actually be sent around, and still give a clear signal that these coins aren't travellers. Perhaps with my nick and contact data on the front page.

Is it OK to ask how much you had to pay for something like this?

No problem mamoreb. I got the inserts for I think around $12 for the two of them shipped to me- one site was selling an individual one for $16! The seller made the wallet for $30, so with tax (since I live in the same state as her) and shipping it was $38. The people who would have made it in leather were quoting prices of around $80 to $100, but I didn't want to spend that much, plus I couldn't get cool colors like the purple and teal that I love. Shat might have been abit sturdier, but I really like the suede. A lady who made things in fabric patterns would have made onf ro $25, shipping included, but I didn't like any of the fabric choices. Like you, I also wanted to be able to pass something around and not have to worry too much about my coins disappering, especially since the last two events are ones I hosted, so I knew I'd be pretty busy and distracted. I actually took the smaller wallet that I originally bought and it served that purpose in the past, it just looked dorky.

This would hold 72 coins the way I have it set up, or maybe a few more since as you can see, one insert slot has two coins in it. But there are bigger inserts as well, such as ones that are four cards high, whereas I went with the 3 high. So the design would be somewhat adaptable or changeable. Sounds like some people have lots of activated coins, I just don't have too many that are activated, and the unactivated ones stay at home all the time so don't need something like this.

Her name is Rochelle Pellicer. Here's her etsy shop:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/rpellicer

Very nice to deal with, quick to respond to emails and quite willing to make it exactly as I wanted.

Here's the link to the place where I found the inserts for the best prices:

http://www.everydayplastics.com/BusinessCardHolderPages.php

this is the specific one I got:

http://www.everydayplastics.com/VinylProducts.php?vinyl-plastics-product=e8002-1TAB