gps help

Not at all familiar with any Acer GPS receivers, but even if it is adequate, that is going to be one of your problems... you will be pretty much on your own when it comes to figuring out how to use it. It may be sufficient to get you started, but it probably has a short battery life (I'm only guessing here) and is not likely to be very durable. Has it got a screen with a pointer that displays the distance and direction to the waypoint that you're going for?

It will work for you. It is similar to any phone with a GPS app in it. It is based on Windows Mobile 2003, and there is not much support or apps for that platform. I would suggest either an IPhone or Android phone with a GPS app as a better way to go. If you want more accuracy though, I would suggest a dedicated GPS unit. Good luck in your search

It will work for you. It is similar to any phone with a GPS app in it. It is based on Windows Mobile 2003, and there is not much support or apps for that platform. I would suggest either an IPhone or Android phone with a GPS app as a better way to go. If you want more accuracy though, I would suggest a dedicated GPS unit. Good luck in your search

Of course he can also upgrade within the Windows world to the Windows Phone 7. And the official Groundspeak App is even free (although somewhat controversial). I do not believe there are any Geocaching Apps for Windows Mobile, but don't quote me on that. There certainly is not an official Groundspeak App for it.

I too would suggest a dedicated GPS unit.

We have an iphone and regulary use it to find caches but have recently had a go at laying a cache but have had to resort to dragging dad out with his garmin something or other to be sure on co-ords. So we hoping to buy a unit that will give us good co-ords for hiding? Will the etrek do that?

We have an iphone and regulary use it to find caches but have recently had a go at laying a cache but have had to resort to dragging dad out with his garmin something or other to be sure on co-ords. So we hoping to buy a unit that will give us good co-ords for hiding? Will the etrek do that?

Have not used that unit, but believe it should do a reasonable job.

It looks a great price just gone to read about it. It says i can store 500 waypoints for easy retrieve, 22 hr battery life, colour, and waterproof. 12 Channels, but does not have an electronic compass (is that a prob?)

Does it use a USB connection, and not the older, obsolete serial port? Electronic compass is not that big a deal.

It looks a great price just gone to read about it. It says i can store 500 waypoints for easy retrieve, 22 hr battery life, colour, and waterproof. 12 Channels, but does not have an electronic compass (is that a prob?)

make sure its got the high accuracy chip

Are you talking about a high sensitivity chip? Sensitivity and accuracy are different things. Although one can have an effect on the other.

I did a quick search and it seems that does use a high sensitivity chip set. The SiRF Star II/LP.

The LP stands for Low Power. I am not sure what the difference between II and III is.

Any eTrex model should serve you well. I am just starting out, so I bought a Garmin eTrex 12 channel (no maps, no USB). I have to manually enter my waypoints. With no maps, I have no idea what obstacles will be in my path...but that's the fun for me, I enjoy the exploring more than the find.

I have no idea what obstacles will be in my path...but that's the fun for me, I enjoy the exploring more than the find.

Even with maps you may not know what obstacles lie ahead. Personally I think maps on a GPSr, for geocaching, are highly overrated. The screens are so small. You can only see a small portion of the map at any time. That means lots of scrolling and zooming.

I also feel the same way about an electronic compass. It is just a simple matter of changing the setting for the map screen to NORTH UP if it isn't already set that way. Then learning to use the sun and moon feature of the compass screen for when you are standing still.

Almost every handheld GPSr sold today is suitable for geocaching. If you are going to do a lot of geocaching then get a model that features paperless geocaching.