Phone vs. GPS unit (Newbie)

RFM90

Hi All,

Really got into geocaching last weekend when I was dragged out by 3 friends....anyway now I'm stuck in :P

I'm a student (= very, very skint) and am trying to work out where to go now.

Currently, I'm using c:geo (in the UK) on a Samsung Galaxy S2, which is going well, but is getting me frustrated by many things, including the fact that if I do more than one or two caches, I don't have any battery for "real life"!

My question(s):

1. Am I better to stick with the phone and buy a battery pack, or should I upgrade to a GPS unit?

2. Which GPS would you recommend? - my budget is about £150, so for that money I'm looking at either:

a ) Garmin Dakota 10 (£109 - amazon)

b ) Garmin Etrex 20 (£153 - amazon)

c ) Magellan eXplorist GC 2011 (£135 - amazon)

d ) Anything else.......?

I have always had Garmin stuff in car, but am more than willing to go for anything else. I'm not sure about what I need in terms of 'bells and whistles' but I think that the bare minimum is waterproof; paperless and downloadable maps. I also cycle, and might consider using the GPS unit on the bike if that is a possibility, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance for all your advice :)

Richard

Edited by RFM90

I just recently got the Etrex 20 and am pretty pleased with it. It does a LOT for less money than other comparable units.

The 20 can do everything you need it to do...

The Etrex 20 + a Geocaching.com Premium membership, and you wont really need the phone at all anymore for Geocaching, and you'll get much better battery life too.

Edited by Hasty Javelinas

I was using the same set up as you (almost - I only have the S1) and have found if you turn off the screen when not looking at it rather than having it on all the time it saves the battery enormously then I got a spare battery from Amazon for about £3. That pretty much lasts me any day trip out.

Started using geobeagle which times out the screen itself which is handy/annoying but only started using that once I was premium member as it was a bit long winded without being able to import GPX files.

Just tried out the neongeo trial app the other day which seems very slick and accurate but did drain the battery again, but mostly because I was enjoying watching myself walk across the map so I didn't turn it off, that's why I could never use a satnav, I would crash. No idea how user friendly that is without PM though.

I have the Magellan Explorist GC and love it. We've only been caching for about 4 weeks and we're hooked! My stepson loves the hunt. I read alot of reviews on all the GPS Units and decided to start low end $$$. It really wasn't that cheap, but out of all the ones available, it was the cheapest. It's lightweight and durable. I can't tell you how many times my stepson has dropped ours while bushwacking through the woods!

You will be surprised with as GPS, I had a few hours to kill the other day and only had my phone on me...it reminded me how much better it is using a 'tool for the job'. The accuracy and battery life make the money worthwhile.

I'd go for the etrex 20 btw :0

Hi

I am also pretty new to geocaching and in the same boat as yourself, currently I am using HTC Desire first time out my battery last around 4 caches, then downloaded some easy task killer which kills the GPS when you lock the screen, also I downloaded Locus free which is a decent map app and seems to be better than the standard map.

I have looked around also at GPS handhelds but cant make my mind up :unsure:

What are the Geomate JR like for geocaching, can you see the description and hint of caches??

Thanks

I have been at this a short time as well. I am using a Motorola Droid X2 as my main geocache unit. I also have an old Garmin GPSMAP 195 (aviation rated unit). I can tell you that they are so close to each other for accuracy, its not worth lugging around the big 195.

6998338095_882a945ef7_z.jpg

As for battery life, turn off all the other junk you can. All background stuff, screen enhancers etc and most importantly any "live" dashboard background, those animated backgrounds kill a phone battery bad. Also consider putting it into airplane mode but leave gps on. This turns off all radio transmitters and conserved a lot of power in the field. You will need to re-enable the radios if you need to download or use data over wireless to get more cache data. Once you load a cache, you can disable radios again.

While tracking in on the cache, look at the compass, look up for a real world target (tree, fence, car, etc) in the appropriate direction and approximate distance. Turn off the screen and walk to it. Then turn on the screen again and repeat the process until you reach ground zero. This minimizes screen on time and again, conserves battery power. And this also improves your invisibility to muggles. Since you are not walking around staring at a GPS or phone and more time walking with your head up, you attract less attention from muggles. Looking like you belong there and know what you are doing is sometimes the best camouflage. Taking brief looks at your screen only appears to be like you are checking text messages, totally common place today.

Be sure to not JUST turn off the screen once you reach ground zero. Once you get to an area and begin searching, exit your app (c:geo). If you simply turn off the screen, the app is still running and consuming battery power.

This past Sunday, I hit 12 caches with my granddaughters using only my phone. I used the above techniques and spent about 5 hours out in the field caching. When I got home, I still had 3/4 of my battery life left (so did the phone <wink>).

There are advantages to both a phone and a GPSr. The phone gives you live data off sites and GPS for the price of less durable and frequently less weather proof. GPSrs bring ruggedness and weather proof to the table but give it up in connectivity so you have to pre-plan your caches and download the waypoints. Also remember, some caches are remote and you may loose cell signals but that shouldn't prevent the phone GPS functions from working.

I too am looking at getting a GPSr, not because I have issues with the phone (which has taken me to 21 caches without fail). I am wanting a GPSr so that I can have both it and my phone with us when I take my granddaughters out. Having a 2nd device will include them more in the hunt instead of just following me and then them just searching around.

Edited by Wolfiesden

I previously used an external GPS plus jailbroken iPod touch. Now I just use my iPhone and spent £20 on an excellent external battery which can fully recharge it four/five times. Very convenient, can have the www at the fingertips / any maps / check cache page / store as many caches as I want etc. I've also noticed very little difference in accuracy - about 5-10 metres depending on tree cover. Plus it means I can cache when I feel like it, rather than having to carry something extra around with me. Is the extra money worth it for a handheld GPS - imo, no.

I have been at this a short time as well. I am using a Motorola Droid X2 as my main geocache unit. I also have an old Garmin GPSMAP 195 (aviation rated unit). I can tell you that they are so close to each other for accuracy, its not worth lugging around the big 195.

This. I always compare my garmin 60csx and iPhone, and they are very, very often close.

I previously used an external GPS plus jailbroken iPod touch. Now I just use my iPhone and spent £20 on an excellent external battery which can fully recharge it four/five times..

Mind sharing the brand? I carry 2 spare batts and they each charge the iPhone up once per charge.

This. I always compare my garmin 60csx and iPhone, and they are very, very often close.

I previously used an external GPS plus jailbroken iPod touch. Now I just use my iPhone and spent £20 on an excellent external battery which can fully recharge it four/five times..

Mind sharing the brand? I carry 2 spare batts and they each charge the iPhone up once per charge.

"Veho VCC-A007-PBP Pebble 5000mAH Portable Battery Pack Charger for iPod, iPhone, Mobile Phones and PSP" available on Amazon uk for £17.99.

Tends to get about 4 recharges before I need to recharge the battery! Also comes with a set of adapters for various phones :)

Ooh great tip on the Veho, I use my iPhone 4s, and while it has the best gps yet on an iPhone, the battery life does diminish what I can do in one session. Only yesterday, I set off on what I hoped would be a figure of 8, 36 cache trek, but it became clear the battery would never last despite turning the app off when not needed, and closing the screen too. I did 15, and went home. The Veho will arrive tomorrow, so I shall be out there testing it!

For another option, I was looking at the i.Sound Portable Power Max battery pack (get it on Amazon or Wallymart cheaper) for use on vacations like to Disney where I would be away from charging stations for long periods.

Yea, its $70 ish (2x the Veho) but its more than 3x the battery power of the Veho and has 5 ports so up to 5 devices can be charged at once while you take a lunch break. The down side is weight. If you are going to be lugging something around in the field for extended distances, you might be better off just going with an extra battery, not a charging station. Charging stations will all be heavier (due to electronics, cables and cases) than just the extra battery. If you are near your car (couple miles or less), then these sorts of things would be worth the effort to throw in your kit bag.

If weight is an issue, perhaps something like this for your iPhones:

http://www.isound.net/shop-by-type/accessories/i-sound-2-in-1-charger-and-backup-battery.html

"Veho VCC-A007-PBP Pebble 5000mAH Portable Battery Pack Charger for iPod, iPhone, Mobile Phones and PSP" available on Amazon uk for £17.99.Tends to get about 4 recharges before I need to recharge the battery! Also comes with a set of adapters for various phones :)
Thank you! :)

Just confirming, thanks to this thread I ordered a Veho, and it arrived today. It was already charged just needed topping up. I am charging it from the USB on my Sky HD box ;)

Gonna go out in a few minutes and put it to the test, however, first impressions are superb, and its a very nice compact bit of kit. It even came with a carry case.

Edited by Sinver

If weight is an issue, perhaps something like this for your iPhones:

http://www.isound.net/shop-by-type/accessories/i-sound-2-in-1-charger-and-backup-battery.html

this is what I have. I've had it for a good year, and now it will charge up to about 80% and that's it. Great to have, but not enough...

I hadn't bought one as I have an android just saw it in the prods list. The bigger one was on my shopping list but I ran out of time to order it prior to the vacation trip and then my mom passed at the end of Feb so I was caught up with all that.

Since, I changed my mind as to big packs. I am going to build a MintyBoost (parts in shipping now) which will use my Maha Imedion 2400mAh low self discharge AA cells. I have 32 AAs that I use in my camera equipment and have been my standard go-to for power in the field. They fit all three of my flashes. I have a 6 AA holder for my grip on my D7000. They fit in my pocket flashlights (specifically chosen for AA use). And when I finish building my MintyBoost, they will also power my cell phone. I even have a couple plastic adapters that take 2 AAs and will fit devices that take D cells (They have C-cell adapters too). One cell type so its easy. One charger( 8 cells at once). Other than the MintyBoost which parts for has not arrived yet, I actually have and use all the above linked items. I will tell you that these Imedions are BETTER than standard Sanyo Eneloops and are basically the same as the new Sanyo Eneloop XX cells.

Edited by Wolfiesden